Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Im screwed!

Options
  • 31-07-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I have my test on the 8th of August
    booked 5 pre tests. did my first one today and
    I swing wide on left turns even though it doesnt feel that i am.
    I coast. (didnt realise holding the clutch half way down) as slowing.
    my reversing round the corner is pretty poor.

This was the first time ive been able to get into a car since the law change and boy have i forgotten everything.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

LOL, i am in the same boat as yourself mine is coming up and i havent drive since the 1st july, am going to fail this test miserably due to lack of practise

ah well such is life and to be honest, i only reason i failed my last test was because i was in third gear instead of 2nd gear going over speed ramps, so have kinda given up even trying to pass thing, i am jsut doing the odd test now and then for teh craic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As for the coasting, put your left foot on the floor infront of the clutch pedal when not using it, you wont "ride" the clutch that way.
    Swinging wide on left turns is common, i used to do it when learning. It really is down to practise, and making sure your instructor goes mad at you if you do go wide.
    Just get as many pretests/lessons as you need and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Recognising your faults is a great start. Work hard on your remaining lessons and concentrate. I'm guessing four hours more would be enough for you if you put in the work. Good luck with the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

As for the coasting, put your left foot on the floor infront of the clutch pedal when not using it, you wont "ride" the clutch that way.
    Swinging wide on left turns is common, i used to do it when learning. It really is down to practise, and making sure your instructor goes mad at you if you do go wide.
    Just get as many pretests/lessons as you need and go for it.

thanks deffo sound advice.
    In life in general I dont get nervous but when it comes to driving something inside me just turns into a wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I was taking corners slightly wide initially when I started to drive my Dad's car - a much bigger car to mine! Once I got the hang of it I was grand - I think it was the steering which was throwing me off slightly (less reaction, had to pull the wheel more than I usually do).

It's always a good sign when you realise your mistakes - I'm always doing it, could be that I'm always thinking what are other people thinking...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

macroman wrote: »
    It's always a good sign when you realise your mistakes

Very true, you can't "fix" something you dont know you're doing wrong. You know the areas you need to work on, just go for it. Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Washout wrote: »
    I have my test on the 8th of August
    booked 5 pre tests. did my first one today and
    I swing wide on left turns even though it doesnt feel that i am.
    I coast. (didnt realise holding the clutch half way down) as slowing.
    my reversing round the corner is pretty poor.
    Too many tests and not enough lessons.
    Pretests are for when you think you are near the standard to pass. Your instructor should tell you when.

Having 5 pretests in a row where all you are doing is repeating your mistakes is a bit pointless.
    Book lessons not pretests, then when ready 2 pretests should be enough to confirm your readyness. If not ready get more lessons.
    (rinse & repeat:))
    irishbird wrote:
    i only reason i failed my last test was because i was in third gear instead of 2nd gear going over speed ramps, s
    That is hardly a reason you would be failed.
    The more likely reason you have failed and appear to have given up is because you havent been taught properly and not aware of your mistakes.
    The more you learn the more aware you become of every little error, the less you know the more blissfully unaware you remain as you drive ignorant of all your mistakes.

I would say dont give up so easily.
    Find a good instructor and you WILL pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wil wrote: »
    Too many tests and not enough lessons.
    Pretests are for when you think you are near the standard to pass...... ........Having 5 pretests in a row where all you are doing is repeating your mistakes
    100% agree.

I don't understand this obsession with 'pre-tests' in the past few years. I've passed the test in all vehicle categories and I've never done a 'pre-test'.

To learn to drive, you need DRIVING LESSONS, not pre-tests. You should learn to drive for life - not just to pass a test.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

That is hardly a reason you would be failed.
    The more likely reason you have failed and appear to have given up is I would say dont give up so easily.
    Find a good instructor and you WILL pass.

Not one single mark on the sheet except for the speed ramps. The testor told me, i done everything perfect except that i was in 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear going over the speed ramps and sure not to worry, he was sure i would pass the next time

my driven instructor refuses to take me out on any more lesson because he feels he would be robbing me - i solved the situation and just gave my car away.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

irishbird wrote: »
    Not one single mark on the sheet except for the speed ramps. The testor told me, i done everything perfect except that i was in 3rd gear instead of 2nd gear going over the speed ramps and sure not to worry, he was sure i would pass the next time

my driven instructor refuses to take me out on any more lesson because he feels he would be robbing me - i solved the situation and just gave my car away.

You did right, buy a motorbike instead they're way more fun :P

But seriously, if the mistake was consistent as you say it's an easy fix. Disheartening for sure to be failed on such a little niggle, but it won't happen again will it?

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »

so if you go over a speed ramp in 3rd gear its a grade 2 fault?
    that seems a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

that seems a bit harsh.

I went over them in 2nd gear during my test and I got a grade 2 because for "Reacting to hazards". I went over them too fast apparently. I was thinking to myself when he was telling me this "you should see me drive normally".

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

that seems a bit harsh.

It might be a grade 1 but if you keep doing it grade 1 errors become grade 2 (as it was explained to me). If you are consistently making a mistake it is a problem, even if the mistake itself is slight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

SheroN wrote: »
    I went over them in 2nd gear during my test and I got a grade 2 because for "Reacting to hazards". I went over them too fast apparently. I was thinking to myself when he was telling me this "you should see me drive normally".
    Somehow I dont think it the gear that you get a fault for, it's the speed and control. If you hit a harsh speed bump at speed you could damage the car, bang your passengers heads off the roof and possibly lose control of the car. That might be considered poor reaction to hazards.

Irishbird, what you say goes beyond the norm of the instructor not being at liberty to discuss your test. Simply being in 3rd gear isnt going to fail you a test. Walloping the car off a speedbump or not being in full control of the car at all times might.

Somehow I dont think it the gear that you get a fault for, it's the speed and control. If you hit a harsh speed bump at speed you could damage the car, bang your passengers heads off the roof and possibly lose control of the car. That might be considered poor reaction to hazards.

Irishbird, what you say goes beyond the norm of the instructor not being at liberty to discuss your test. Simply being in 3rd gear isnt going to fail you a test. Walloping the car off a speedbump or not being in full control of the car at all times might.

the real harsh ones i always take in 2nd gear...but the red ones you see which arent so harsh..is it ok to take them in third or do u still have to move down to second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

the real harsh ones i always take in 2nd gear...but the red ones you see which arent so harsh..is it ok to take them in third or do u still have to move down to second.

I was told it's ok to take these in third. The ones that are not one bump, they're 3 little seperate bumps. All other ones should be taken in 2nd.

just pased.

I said i was doing 5 pre test before but they turned out to be just lessons were my instructor was a lot harsher in comments than in nrmal lessons.

I was ready to cancel the test after the hour before the test with the instructor. i was so nervous.

because the tester doesnt make any comments...just gives you instructions u get to focus on driving rather than having to take in comments from an instructor whilst driving. i was way relaxed in the test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just pased.

I said i was doing 5 pre test before but they turned out to be just lessons were my instructor was a lot harsher in comments than in nrmal lessons.

I was ready to cancel the test after the hour before the test with the instructor. i was so nervous.

because the tester doesnt make any comments...just gives you instructions u get to focus on driving rather than having to take in comments from an instructor whilst driving. i was way relaxed in the test.

I find the silence alittle off-putting but its not the worst in the world,
    passed yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Congrats OP well done, how does it feel? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

A big congrats to ye, what a relief eh!
    Any tips??
    Have mine coming up in two wks and i'm really dreading it :(
    Haven't driven in a month so i'm really out of practice. Had a lesson yesterday and boy did I make so many silly mistakes. Confidence is down bigtime. HELP :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

just pased.

Good work. Just remember to keep learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭techdiver

100% agree.

I don't understand this obsession with 'pre-tests' in the past few years. I've passed the test in all vehicle categories and I've never done a 'pre-test'.

To learn to drive, you need DRIVING LESSONS, not pre-tests. You should learn to drive for life - not just to pass a test.

I agree that doing piles of pre-tests is not a good idea but 1 or 2 leading up to the test is not a bad idea either. Have my test tomorrow and did a pre-test the other day and I found it useful from the point of being told exactly where I'm going wrong and what I need to focus on the most.

Interesting to see the differing opinion between my instructor and the tester as there often can be.

Advertisement