Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Focus impressions

Options
  • 31-07-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Picked up a Jan 2008 Focus in Wales a few days ago. Bought from Motorpoint in Newport, second car purchased from them and very impressed with the place. Easy to get to, mint cars and safe to deal with.

Anyway, really impressed with the Focus, it is a top spec 2.0TDCi Titanium with all the toys. Lovely to drive, pulls like a train and has a much nicer than expected interior. Having had a Golf before it is easily on par, I would suggest even better quality and certainly more stylish. Road noise and refinement much better than led to believe, although really bad surfaces do intrude. Having come from a BMW I expected to be underwhelmed, but far from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Picked up a Jan 2008 Focus in Wales a few days ago. Bought from Motorpoint in Newport, second car purchased from them and very impressed with the place. Easy to get to, mint cars and safe to deal with.

Anyway, really impressed with the Focus, it is a top spec 2.0TDCi Titanium with all the toys. Lovely to drive, pulls like a train and has a much nicer than expected interior. Having had a Golf before it is easily on par, I would suggest even better quality and certainly more stylish. Road noise and refinement much better than led to believe, although really bad surfaces do intrude. Having come from a BMW I expected to be underwhelmed, but far from it.

What kind of funds did you part with, I'm thinking of changing mine, but I reckon the second hand market may kill me. Wouldn't mind going to get a UK spec Focus, as the cars here are poorly equiped. Also is it a 140bhp one, if so 'good buy'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It worked out at around €20.5K. It was a cash deal so no trade in hassle. Best deal I could get here was €22K on a new 1.8TDCi Ghia. The UK car had 5000 miles on it, and has the cracking 2.0 liter engine (136bhp), alarm, privacy glass and Sony 8 speaker stereo over the Irish Ghia (with nasty fake wood trim), and the UK 3 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Did you have to pay VAT on it with only 5k miles?

No VAT, the rule is 6,000kms, not miles, and the car was a few days over 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

It drives better than any Golf and has a much better and refined engine than the agricultural Vag 1.9 tdi's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

I haven't had a chance to drive the new model, I drive an '06 Focus myself. I would be interested in getting a new one soon enough, I love the new 'Kenetic Design' styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Terran wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to drive the new model, I drive an '06 Focus myself. I would be interested in getting a new one soon enough, I love the new 'Kenetic Design' styling.

It should drive the same, as the new model is only a facelift of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have been very loyal to Ford, had a 05 focus (new model) which would give Monday morning cars a good name, everything that could go wrong did. Thing was worse than a sieve and gave up on a dangerous bend on rush hour 2 months into ownership. Apparently its on its 4 th owner now!
    My 06 is better but still things go wrong that I believe shouldn't in a standard 2 year old focus zetec. Been back twice this year when it basically failed to drive properly, turns out leaks into spark plugs, leaking leads etc.
    My older Fords are as bad, while a friends 05 new model had a very expensive electronic component go and they couldn't get the part for 2 weeks and garage didn't care.
    Needless to say, Fords are bye bye for me. Honestly think the build quality has gotten worse over last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What sort of VRT on this?

€4467 :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement