Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an apartment for me and my cat

Options
  • 31-07-2008 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Dear all
    I moved in Dublin 2 months ago. My cat will follow next december.
    I'm looking for an apartment where to live with my cat but noone accept cat in the apartment.
    For the people who are living with pet, how did you find you house???
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Luisa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

have you tried www.daft.ie ? I think you can add into your search if you only want to show up places that allow pets. You should also ask any landlord as some of them will make an exception. like they may not allow pets as in a big muddy lab but wouldn't mind a smaller, cleaner pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most apartment and rentals do not permit animals other than a goldfish, you may be lucky though, most places that permit them have animals themselves. My sister ended up with a flat where the live in landlord had 4 dogs in the basement, they inturn did her head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When we moved here with our cat we also had trouble finding a rented house that was Ok with him. In the end we managed to find a house, but only by persuading the landlord (who was moving out to a new house) that he wouldn't be any trouble. What was weird though was that the landlord had both a cat and a dog himself, so he was being a bit hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Superlu79

Thanks a lot
    I didn't notice that I was possible to select also pet allowed.
    I'm more relaxed now, at least the only problem will be live far from the center but I will not care if I have my cat!
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

I didn't inform my landlord about my python and my gecko until after they were moved in. He said he didn't allow pets, but when he saw them he said they were OK.

I now have 21 snakes (6 are new babies, just a week old) and two geckos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Alun wrote: »
    When we moved here with our cat we also had trouble finding a rented house that was Ok with him. In the end we managed to find a house, but only by persuading the landlord (who was moving out to a new house) that he wouldn't be any trouble. What was weird though was that the landlord had both a cat and a dog himself, so he was being a bit hypocritical.

You have to look at it from the landlord's perspective though.
    They have a responsibility for the upkeep of the apt/house, and don't want the hassle or cost of fixing or replacing damaged furniture, walls, skirting, carpets etc. which can occur with many pets.

This is completely different from a pet living in the lanlord's own home, as here they are willing to spend the time on money on repairs, or not bother, whatever they choose themselves.

FYI, I am not a landlord, only just recently got our first puppy in our own home, so I can already see the potential for destruction, if we were less than responsible owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Superlu79

You have to look at it from the landlord's perspective though.
    They have a responsibility for the upkeep of the apt/house, and don't want the hassle or cost of fixing or replacing damaged furniture, walls, skirting, carpets etc. which can occur with many pets.

This is completely different from a pet living in the lanlord's own home, as here they are willing to spend the time on money on repairs, or not bother, whatever they choose themselves.

FYI, I am not a landlord, only just recently got our first puppy in our own home, so I can already see the potential for destruction, if we were less than responsible owners.

I understand that a pet can damage the apartment, that's why I leave money as a deposit and I'll pay for extra damage. The problem is that they only say pets not allowed and stop. You cannot discuss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I have heard that some people offer to give a larger deposit, but to do that you would presumably have to get to deal with the owner rather than a letting agency, they tend to be pretty rigid on their guidelines as they have to deal with any fallout.

I lived in an apartment years ago with a rabbit, cat, several hamsters and fish. The landlord was a dream landlord, only knocked on the door twice during my stay there - once to give a christmas present, the other because the washing machine wasn't working so he was asking everyone if they had any laundry they needed done and he would take it to the laundrette for them.

It does take longer to find somewhere that will take pets, but don't give up there are some really decent landlords out there.

Advertisement