Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Eireann

Options
  • 31-07-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

latest_radar.gif

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I dont see any Red, so it's cycle-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Well at least it's not pink or red.

The weather's really buggin me at the moment, I'm sick to death of gettin the bus to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Jez! Looks like the warm shower after today's cycle will be all the sweeter.

Excellent thread title btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm hiking the Wicklow Way this weekend. Doesn't look like it will be the most pleasant. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've a 6 hour and a 4 hour planned for the weekend and I'm not looking forward to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Surfing at the weekend ! I shall be impervious to the rain.

I don't mind cycling in the rain as long as it's not windy. It's great fun going by all the cars and I get to use my lights. ( I have a rather odd torch/light fetish)

Also, it's torturous being stuck in a steamy, warm, armpit infested bus/luas on the way home. No siree, good clean rain for moi. The only problem is wet shoes, but I shall solve that with BBB overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Verb wrote: »
    The only problem is wet shoes, but I shall solve that with BBB overshoes.
    I solve that by wearing sandals. In winter I use the BBB overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Verb wrote: »
    Also, it's torturous being stuck in a steamy, warm, armpit infested bus/luas on the way home. No siree, good clean rain for moi. The only problem is wet shoes, but I shall solve that with BBB overshoes.

+1

I'm not one for the peasant transport either. Old people always smell much worse when they get wet. :pac:

I must invest in a pair of overshoes...

blorg wrote: »
    I solve that by wearing sandals. In winter I use the BBB overshoes.

Over the sandals? as in 'over sandals'?

• Advertisement

Over the sandals? as in 'over sandals'?
    I do occasionally in the in-between months but TBH it doesn't really work great, the overshoes don't really fit well over the sandals. In mid-winter I wear shoes :eek: (I have a nice Specialized pair with very stiff carbon soles- if only I could get carbon-soled sandals!)

I do occasionally in the in-between months but TBH it doesn't really work great, the overshoes don't really fit well over the sandals. In mid-winter I wear shoes :eek: (I have a nice Specialized pair with very stiff carbon soles- if only I could get carbon-soled sandals!)
    Thanks for clarifying this :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

When somebody said that the weather in Dublin isn't suited to cycling, I posted the following on a thread on the Communing & Transport board, worth a repost I suppose...

Dublin and Copenhagen have reasonably similar weather. The two are by no means worlds apart. Where they vary there's a mix of going towards one city or another - Copenhagen has more wet days, but Dublin had more rain fall.

Copenhagen is also exposed to it's fair share of wind. And in summer it can be a bit hotter - with could easily be seen as a minus for cycling. But the "Relative humidity" in Dublin is higher.

In the winter, Copenhagen has less hours of sunlight and what I'm told it's hours of sunlight in the summer start around 4am (...I know that it does, I was there recently and up a few times at that time :o).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003910
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003490

Well worth a post monument, the weather in Dublin is in no way unsuited to cycling. I cycle 365 days a year myself and it actually isn't as wet as you might think (Sydney, New York and Dallas each get more rain than Dublin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Caroline - "I dont see any Red, so it's cycle-able."..- fair play, thems fighting words :D

FWIW I passed a couple of cyclists this evening on my way to Roundwood in my car..they were definitely in the radar red zone..i'd venture it was even white (deluge!!)..the wipers were on full speed.

They were not sheltering (which safe hat on - they probably should have as in car visibility was about 1 cm beyond the bonnet)..I thought "fair play".

Thumbs up if it was any of the nutters here :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Went out last night for only 30km... wettest conditions I've ever ever been out in. At one point I came across a body of standing water at the bottom of valley in the road and no joke it was at least 18 inches deep. It felt like a boat!!!

Hoping for LESS of the same!

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

dub_skav wrote: »
    I'm hiking the Wicklow Way this weekend. Doesn't look like it will be the most pleasant. :mad:

Pity the 10,000 scouts camping in Punchestown over the next week. Muddy much? :D

72hundred wrote: »
    Went out last night for only 30km... wettest conditions I've ever ever been out in. At one point I came across a body of standing water at the bottom of valley in the road and no joke it was at least 18 inches deep. It felt like a boat!!!
    Be careful with that sort of stuff- better to wade through holding your bike. I am pretty sure I knackered my bottom bracket by cycling through a similar pond a couple of years ago.

Be careful with that sort of stuff- better to wade through holding your bike. I am pretty sure I knackered my bottom bracket by cycling through a similar pond a couple of years ago.

EKKK!!!! Well its been dry seen bringing in last night. Anything I should do now to stop damage?

Hrm, was looking to head out for a few hours today but I might wait 'til the afternoon to see if it gets better.

• Advertisement

You could be OK- I ended up with a squeak that lasted for around a year, drove me nuts. Tried a lot of things to get rid of it! Hubs and bottom bracket are not really designed for underwater use.

.... not really designed for underwater use.

Haha, guess not.

I've left it outside in the sun now and got some water out of the frame by lifting the front wheel to near vertical. Does this happen in all racers or just Treks? Seems weird that there's holes in the bottom of the frame.

Also lubed up the chain and cogs.

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Seems weird that there's holes in the bottom of the frame.

I think Blorg mentioned this before. Holes allow expanding gas to escape from the frame during welding/construction?

Haha, guess not.

I've left it outside in the sun now and got some water out of the frame by lifting the front wheel to near vertical. Does this happen in all racers or just Treks? Seems weird that there's holes in the bottom of the frame.
    There are plenty of ways water can work it's way into a frame (e.g. headset, seatpost, bottle cage bosses) and it's not possible to completely avoid it (even if not used in the wet you can get condensation on the inside of a frame.)

Most frames deal with this by having holes in several places to allow water drainage. Those that lack these holes can and do fill up with water!

Verb- the holes are there for water drainage, not for any other reason (I have them myself on my carbon Focus.)

Ah thanks that clears that up.

EDIT: But why don't the but the hole at the bottom of the frame where the water is likely to drain to? The two holes (that I've found so far...) in the Trek 1.5 are at the very tail end of the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I went for a spin today from Donnybrook up the coast road through Killiney etc to Greystones and it basically pi$$ed rain for the whole bloody trip!

When my shoes began to fill with water I realised I need to purchase some overshoes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That was a nice drop of rain this evening.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Time to start buying the waterproofs.

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Time to start buying the waterproofs.
    I was just out in it now, didn't bother with a jacket as it was warm enough. Cycle lane has been turned into a surging river (still mandatory :D) Guy I see on my commute has the right idea, in torrential rain the other day he just dumped his jersey entirely, cycling along just in shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

blorg wrote:
    I was just out in it now, didn't bother with a jacket as it was warm enough. Cycle lane has been turned into a surging river (still mandatory :D) Guy I see on my commute has the right idea, in torrential rain the other day he just dumped his jersey entirely, cycling along just in shorts.

Hey blorg this is something i could see a hardy soul like yourself doing,your not too far of it now,maybe some cleats drilled to your bare feet

Advertisement