Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clifden Surfing???

Options
  • 31-07-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, Im thinking of heading to clifden next weekend for an aul surf but never been before. Has anyone been surfing there, havent heard much on it at all.

Also, a friend is coming with me that wants to learn, does anyone know if theres a surf school down there or somewhere to at least rent a board/wetsuit????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

Just giving this a bit of a bump - interested in finding out myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you're lucky you might find a surfable beach near Clifden, but you won't find a place to take lessons or rent gear anywhere in Co. Galway. If you're just starting off and need to take lessons/rent stuff, I'd highly recommend heading to Clare, Sligo or Mayo instead. If you want to stay near Galway then try Fanore beach, its in a beautiful location about an hour from Galway city and there's a surf school and rental facilities there: http://www.surfschool.tv/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

The once secret spot of False Bay, beside Doonlaughan Bay is the only popular spot in Galway. Head out Golf Coarse Road from Ballyconneely.
    It has waves about 360 days a year, but they are rarely very good. It is a good spot to learn as you can get a long ride on the white water, tough spot to progress as the waves done really peal much, tend to be dumpy. Crazy busy on sunny July and August days.
    Watch out for rocks and rip currents, especially on right side. Best surfed about 2 hours after low tide.
    There was a surf school there one or two summers recently but it didn't last.
    Other better spots in the county will hopefully remain secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

handy - lots of spots marked out...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112891371932527509525.00044e5f13b9666b12191&ll=53.513776,-9.924774&spn=0.270702,0.617981&z=11

Was in Doonloughan (false bay) before - really, really hidden away but a lovely spot once you eventually get there. Waves weren't up to much the day I was there but a nice spot all the same.
    pipedream wrote: »
    Also, a friend is coming with me that wants to learn, does anyone know if theres a surf school down there or somewhere to at least rent a board/wetsuit????

Not that I know of...

Advertisement