Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend: 1-3/08/08

• 31-07-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

1 Aug 2008 Bohemians :cool: 7:45 Cobh Ramblers
    1 Aug 2008 Derry City 7:45 Shamrock Rovers
    1 Aug 2008 Drogheda United 7:45 Bray Wanderers
    1 Aug 2008 Finn Harps 8:00 Galway United
    3 Aug 2008 Sligo Rovers 3:00 Cork City
    3 Aug 2008 UCD 3:00 St Patrick's Athletic

Come on UCD. Come on Rovers. Come on Shams (again :eek:).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk 1 - 0 Wexford Youths

One goal separated the two teams scored by young mulvenna , Baker impressed when he came on. Again dundalk keep a clean sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

SectionF - are you going squeeze in Tuesday's game in this week's schedule or next week? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Sarge wrote: »
    Dundalk 1 - 0 Wexford Youths

One goal separated the two teams scored by young mulvenna , Baker impressed when he came on. Again dundalk keep a clean sheet.

Was held up at work and missed the game but i heard the goal was very well taken..

Starting to kick on now. Well clear at the top, albeit with an extra game played. Best goal diff as well i think. Pretty much deserve it in other words...

How much of a run out did Baker get???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

stovelid wrote: »
    SectionF - are you going squeeze in Tuesday's game in this week's schedule or next week? :p
    That's on a schedule of its own. ;)

ibh wrote: »
    Was held up at work and missed the game but i heard the goal was very well taken..

Starting to kick on now. Well clear at the top, albeit with an extra game played. Best goal diff as well i think. Pretty much deserve it in other words...

How much of a run out did Baker get???

Came on in the second half and was looking very quick and very match fit i have to say , the two signings that we made should be enough for us to push on providing sporting dont give anymore full time chefs a part time footballing job :(

The pressure is on everyone else at this stage , massive game next week against SF in morton that will decide if we will go up or not i have to admit , Im no longer worried about Shelbourne ( sorry Des )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Came on in the second half and was looking very quick and very match fit i have to say , the two signings that we made should be enough for us to push on providing sporting dont give anymore full time chefs a part time footballing job :(

The pressure is on everyone else at this stage , massive game next week against SF in morton that will decide if we will go up or not i have to admit , Im no longer worried about Shelbourne ( sorry Des )

Heh, no need for the apologies man, I don't think we'll do much in the rest of the season either, tbh.

Although, I think Torpedo will overtake you.

Des wrote: »
    Heh, no need for the apologies man, I don't think we'll do much in the rest of the season either, tbh.

Although, I think Torpedo will overtake you.

Next's weeks game is massive for football in ireland in general , for the first time since Dundalk played bohs in the cup final of 2002 every eircom league supporter will be hoping that Dundalk say NO ! to franchise football.

Next's weeks game is massive for football in ireland in general , for the first time since Dundalk played bohs in the cup final of 2002 every eircom league supporter will be hoping that Dundalk say NO ! to franchise football.
    Er, what does that mean?

Ah the Boh's comment was just in jest mate , Anyway I did mean that sporting fingal beating us next week end would be terrible for the Eircom league it would mean that sporting could easily go on and win the league and we would just have another franchise in the premiership .

Ah the Boh's comment was just in jest mate , Anyway I did mean that sporting fingal beating us next week end would be terrible for the Eircom league it would mean that sporting could easily go on and win the league and we would just have another franchise in the premiership .
    On that basis, I hope you stuff them. But please, even in jest, don't put Bohs, which is a member-owned club, in the same category as some councillor's toy project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Whatever happens, I hope Fingal don't go up anyway. Hate that club with all my heart. Hopefully we can get some sort of revival going but if not I hope Dundalk can pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

DSB wrote: »
    Whatever happens, I hope Fingal don't go up anyway. Hate that club with all my heart. Hopefully we can get some sort of revival going but if not I hope Dundalk can pull it off.

I hope they do go up! I couldn't give a fook about that club in the Premier Division. When we're going for promotion again next year I hope it's Dundalk and not Fingal who are in the First Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork travel to Sligo on Sunday and to me the bookies have it all wrong.

Sligo win for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The big 1st division game this weekend is us versus Waterford. A draw and Dundalk will take a decent lead in the division. Fingal are still looking for that big away win against one of the other three top teams. Hasn't happened yet amazingly. A win tonight and the team of the future will relish the game against Dundalk.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I hope they do go up! I couldn't give a fook about that club in the Premier Division. When we're going for promotion again next year I hope it's Dundalk and not Fingal who are in the First Division.

You're probably right in that. But I still hate them too much to hope they succeed. Hope they crash, burn and end up in the A League where they belong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You're probably right in that. But I still hate them too much to hope they succeed. Hope they crash, burn and end up in the A League where they belong.

Ah yeah. but in all fairness that's no gonna happen:mad:

If they don't go up this season or next, they're finished. If they don't hit the ground running when they do go up, they're also finished. That budget is insane. I'm aware its being covered at the moment, but longterm, not a hope that can be sustained.

Franchise will go the way of Dublin City.

They are already bending wage rules to suit themselves, they have ZERO crowd, apart from a few Bohs skoolies when Bohs are out of town.

I won't mourn their passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If we were in the A League as originally planned we'd probably have ended up in the First Division next season anyway and still spent the money to get a team together. We don't belong in the A League now.

dsmythy wrote: »
    If we were in the A League as originally planned we'd probably have ended up in the First Division next season anyway and still spent the money to get a team together. We don't belong in the A League now.

Correct. You don't belong in any league. Can't wait til that becomes a reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

If they don't go up this season or next, they're finished. If they don't hit the ground running when they do go up, they're also finished. That budget is insane. I'm aware its being covered at the moment, but longterm, not a hope that can be sustained.

I agree with you.
    As far as I can see they are in that league to get promoted to the premier, why else would they be pumping so much money into them.
    The FAI are trying (and probably gonna succeed) in fúcking over every club in the first division fighting for promotion.
    What infuriates me even further is that only one team will go up.
    It's fair to say I'm very annoyed over this shambles of a league:mad:

How have the FAI fúcked over Shels?

:confused:

How have the FAI fúcked over Shels?

:confused:

Shels are probably digging their own hole alright.;)
    Ah the whole 'one team being promoted' is a scam imo.
    There are teams I might not be too pushed about being promoted or not.
    But if fingal get promoted:mad:
    I'm gonna need medication:D

kerash wrote: »
    Ah the whole 'one team being promoted' is a scam imo.

Scam how?

The PD should be 10 teams.

this is the only way to make it.

Unless you want to relegate 4 and promote 2?

Scam how?

The PD should be 10 teams.

this is the only way to make it.

Unless you want to relegate 4 and promote 2?

A 10 team PD is a terrible decision imo.
    The divide between the prem and first is huge enough as it is this cant help.
    I cant see how it would improve things? Nor have I hear any reasonings i would agree with.

Anyhow, football this weekend? we're playing Lim37 that should be good:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels to win 2-0 tonight and hopefully Franchaise and Wahhhhherford draw, will have us back in 2nd.:)

kerash wrote: »
    Anyhow, football this weekend? we're playing Lim37 that should be good:rolleyes:

:eek: did we really score 3?:eek:
    it's about time:D

first div results:

Limerick 1 - 3 Longford Town
    Shels 3 - 3 Athlone
    Kildare 1 - 2 Mons
    Waterford 2 - 1 Sporting Fingal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Great result for the Blues. Fingal didn't look too threatening tbh.

The Shels match was 3 all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bohs 3 - 0 Pity
    Derry 0 - 1 Shams
    Drogs 2 - 0 Bray

Thats Derry well and truly out of any title contention. Quite surprised Bohs didn't put more past those from east Cork.

Dermot Keely needs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Cobh put up a struggle in the first half, Joxer came off the bench at HT and played a blinder.

gimmick wrote: »
    Bohs 3 - 0 Pity
    Derry 0 - 1 Shams
    Drogs 2 - 0 Bray

Thats Derry well and truly out of any title contention. Quite surprised Bohs didn't put more past those from east Cork.
    Pity? Tough.
    Cobh did OK first half, with a 10-0-0 formation, and could have snuck one on the break, because we were asleep. Then came Joxer Kelly... I've never seen one player change a game that much before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Dermot Keely needs to go.

dunno, as much as I know Keely isn't up to it anymore, i think it would be too drastic and wont change things for the better short term as the players share an equal proportion of the blame for this spectacular combustion of our 2008 season.

there isn't any doubt in my mind a new manager, new coaching staff and 80% of a new team are needed for 2009. Keely is only serving up dinosaur age hoofball that just doesn't work anymore. his decision making has been horrific over the past 3 months. he only copped on after 30 minutes tonight that David Freeman is a pub league player and look at good aul' lazy overpaid wanker James Keddy getting into the team week after week ahead of Sparky Rutherford. why is Dean Lawrence put on the bench every week instead of ****e like his son and Alan Byrne? why is our only creative centre-mid player playing at right back when we've had only 3 goals all season from midfield and desperately need a creative outlet there? why is our best player and goal scoring machine playing in wanky friendlies and getting injured for 2 months in the process? i honestly don't know what Keely is thinking anymore

but that doesn't excuse the rest of the players and their 'efforts' over the past 2-3 months. tonight only Sparky and Darren Forsyth put in any serious effort and commitment. there is something seriously wrong when a UCD reject only in the club 2 minutes is dying for the cause out on that pitch when our club captain Daisy Brennan, formerly a great defender, is scratching his arsehole tonight costing us two goals on top of the other ones he's been responsible for lately. i could rant about many others but to sum it up some of these current players make Alan Moore look like a workhorse. look at Waterford, less talented squad, smaller wage bill, players not been paid and they just get on with it and win games like beating Fingal tonight. they are putting our lot to shame this season.

Keely, his managment staff and the majority of the playing squad are responsible for this car crash season and i think its too late to do anything drastic because the league is over for Shels. i seriously think the BOM need to come down on all of them like a tonne of bricks and fine them all (barring Forsyth and Sparky) a weeks wages to salvage something from this season (i.e top 3 finish) because if this **** Shels fans are been subjected to week in week out over the last 2 months continues attendances will crash and burn by the end of the season. Ollie Byrne would not have stood over this ****e thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Disgraceful stuff again from Shels. There's no passion at all, apart from Mark Rutherford, who is a ****ing God! Can't describe the feeling of despair watching that heroic figure bust his bollocks for our club for 90 minutes, while the likes of James Keddy, supposedly plaing left wing, is standing in the centre circle thinking about scratching his arse - only problem is he's too ****ing lazy to even do that.

Nevermind fining wages, they should hand them back. They know they don't deserve them. I'd rather watch a team put 90 minutes of effort in and lose, than half-arse it like that shower of pricks.

Keely's even stopped shouting at them from the sidelines, which says it all really. He's probably given up on them too, which is no surprise given their peformances of late. It's not like the results haven't been coming in spite of their efforts, the results haven't been coming because of their efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Einsturzende didn't you just hop on the LOI bandwagon this season? Maby I'm wrong but I remember the time you were planning on going to your first game ever or in a long time(cant remember)

Fair play I must say.

Did the Lithuanian guy play for Bohs? What a ****ing coup. He was class for Riga.

I can't wait to get back from USA in 10 days time to witness him in action live

Einsturzende didn't you just hop on the LOI bandwagon this season? Maby I'm wrong but I remember the time you were planning on going to your first game ever or in a long time(cant remember)

Fair play I must say.
    Think you've got me confused with someone else, or you're really bad with dates? Started regularly attending Shelbourne games again about 4 years ago, after a few years of next to none. I hit virtually every match in a season, and even managed to make some whilst living abroad, so I think calling me a bandwagon hopper and adding sarcastic comments is just a bit on the harsh side! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Massive boost for Galway United:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Like waiting for a bus. You wait six matches for a goal then three come along at once :) A precious win. The wheels seem to be coming off Shels by the looks of things as well. Keely seems to have lost the players. Good win for Waterford.

• Advertisement

:confused
    Think you've got me confused with someone else, or you're really bad with dates? Started regularly attending Shelbourne games again about 4 years ago, after a few years of next to none. I hit virtually every match in a season, and even managed to make some whilst living abroad, so I think calling me a bandwagon hopper and adding sarcastic comments is just a bit on the harsh side! :)

Ok this is awkward.:D

Nah I wasn't being sarcastic....but who is this person I speak of?:confused:

Thussplakeblixa I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The Lithuanian was a bit off the pace but he only signed on Thursday so to be expected, had one great chance on goal tho, rounded the keeper but a defender got back. Hes tiny - 5 4 I think. Deegan wasnt great, loads of mis hit passes, didnt look very fit. Oman Burns and McGuinness out for Rovers by the lools of it, not good.

:confused

Ok this is awkward.:D

Nah I wasn't being sarcastic....but who is this person I speak of?:confused:

Santa? :)

bohsman wrote: »
    The Lithuanian was a bit off the pace but he only signed on Thursday so to be expected, had one great chance on goal tho, rounded the keeper but a defender got back. Hes tiny - 5 4 I think.
    Give him time. As Nutsy said, Mindaugas had one training session before last night and doesn't even know his new team mates names! Looks like serious quality to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Great result for Rovers against the Nordies. Some quality banter aswell from the Rovers end; "You'll never beat the Irish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thussplakeblixa I think.

He's only going recently (last 2 months afaik) and has been at a few. He happens to be best mates with a girl I know who goes to the matches. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Sligo Rovers vs. Cork City and UCD vs. St. Pat's both being played at 3pm today.

Liam Kearney and Pat Sullivan both suspended for City, Darragh Ryan and Cillian Lordan more than likely replacements. Lawrie Dudfield recieved clearance during the week and is expected to feature.

I'm hoping City can put Thursday behind them and get back to winning ways today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

City win 0-1 at Sligo. Great result.

SPA were easy 3-0 winners over UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Excellent result against a good Sligo side. We are showing championship form.

Next up, Bohs on Friday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement