Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

www.northsideautos.ie

Options
  • 31-07-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking at buying a car here, just wondering if anyone has ever had any dealings with these?

are they reliable?

Looking at buying a BMW 318 coupe, any ideas on which 318 i should go for? There seems to be i few different ones around, ie ci, se , M-Tec

Any ideas will be appriciated

Thanks
    rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

just dont by a 318 unless its after 00 engines before these were crap i had two and both fell apart!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The ones with the m-sport kits will be the most desirable. Might be worth considering a 320 too, as it has a 6-cylinder engine while the 318 is only a 4-cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well Ci stands for the coupe version of the BMW so the ones you are looking at are all "ci" .

SE is the better spec'd model and usually comes with all the bits and bobs AC , Trip computer , Steering controls, Cruise Control, Rear parking sensors. So it is the better model to get.

The M-Spec has all the details of the SE model but also comes with a sport suspension,sport seats and a has a BMW m spec kit on it small side skirt and front lip spoilers so it looks the bee's . They do look great in red if i do say so myself but keep it polished.

Pre Sept 2001 318's have the older not so great 1.9L engine putting out on average 105bhp its a 4 cylinder and has very little pull in it and this engine has been around for a long time so its not great for the weight of this model car.

Post Sept 2001 318's have the facelift and come with the 2.0L engine putting out average 145bhp . Its still a 4 cylinder which makes it economical so in comparison to the older engine it is much better suited for the weight its pulling. It is a nice engine and holds its own but for most BMW lovers they will tend to go for the 320 and up to get the authentic driver appeal they expect.

Par for par id recommend the post Sept 2001 318 for economics reliabilty tax and has decent performance to boot. Also look for the SE spec or M spec as they will have a better resale value and will shift quicker when it comes to selling on.

:D

Oh and 2cents, its may suit better to travel across the water if it allows, because the cars are better spec'd and better looked after than here. All the ones i had looked at here were..well sh**e for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭robbie2003ie

listermint wrote: »
    Oh and 2cents, its may suit better to travel across the water if it allows, because the cars are better spec'd and better looked after than here. All the ones i had looked at here were..well sh**e for the price.

Yeah but if i import it, it means i'll have to pay the new Tax per year and VRT.

Any idea's where i should look in england for BM's

Thanks everyone for the replys grreat help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You won't pay the new annual co 2 based car tax on a secondhand import, the old rules will apply they moved the goalposts on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭robbie2003ie

stratos wrote: »
    You won't pay the new annual co 2 based car tax on a secondhand import, the old rules will apply they moved the goalposts on that one.

Are you sure? I heard if you import a second hand car from england or N.I you will pay Tax on new Co2 can anyone else confirm this.

Thanks stratos

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you sure? I heard if you import a second hand car from england or N.I you will pay Tax on new Co2 can anyone else confirm this.
    Mega-yawn.... Pre-2008 car will be road taxed on old cc-based rates, not CO2-based rates. All VRT is now CO2-based.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

stratos wrote: »

They never moved the goalposts at all it was never there intention to tax cars registered anywhere in the world before 08 on the new tax system

Thanks stratos

Rob

Yes the car will be on the old cc based tax system if you import it in, only cars registered in 08 will pay tax on the new co2 based rates

Any idea's where i should look in england for BM's

Start with autotrader.co.uk

Thats were i got mine. Biggest selection. Do all your calculations. Check out the Import from UK thread on here it will fill in all your blanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

draffodx wrote: »
    They never moved the goalposts at all it was never there intention to tax cars registered anywhere in the world before 08 on the new tax system

Extra mega yawn ..... Yes they did move the goalposts... Initially they said tha UK import would be Taxed on Co2 based system and then they changed it to cc based blah balh blah so on so forth................

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Extra mega yawn ..... Yes they did move the goalposts... Initially they said tha UK import would be Taxed on Co2 based system and then they changed it to cc based blah balh blah so on so forth................

+....yawn... 1...yawn....big sticky.....yawn...learn to read....yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

is the VRT based on cc or co2 if you import a 2006 registered in North/England?

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

A sticky should be made with the heading.

ALL IMPORTS REG'D PRE 2008 ARE TAXED ON CC BASED SYSTEM

campervan wrote: »

zzzzzzzz......yawn....I must be dreaming still....post cannot be real.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Riskymove wrote: »
    zzzzzzzz......yawn....I must be dreaming still....post cannot be real.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ha ha ha :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

campervan wrote: »

It'll be cc.

There's not a big requirement for rudeness lads - if you feel you're being put upon then don't post. Yes perhaps the poster might do some research, but equally perhaps if you could leave all your issues out the advice would be easier to disseminate.

I think its fair to say we all know by now,the majority of people prefer to be shown and led the path rather than make the path themselves.

Research though is a wonderous thing :D

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It'll be cc.

There's not a big requirement for rudeness lads - if you feel you're being put upon then don't post. Yes perhaps the poster might do some research, but equally perhaps if you could leave all your issues out the advice would be easier to disseminate.

it was clearly set out in this thread that all cars pre-08 have tax on old system

all the guy had to do is read this thread

not research online, not the sticky etc...this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is going nowhere in particular and has nothing to do anymore with the heading

I'd sugggest that the OP start again with any remaining issues under a heading that actually refers to the specific question...AFTER having done some research.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement