Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Germany overturns the Smoking Ban

• 31-07-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

I think this is great news personally :)

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/bars-celebrate-as-german-court-overturns-smoking-ban-1443673.html

I hear/have heard the same old arguments from militant non smokers, and their lobbiests, that the smoking ban has not affected the pub trade, and frankly, I think that's cobblers.

Why is there always (on my observation anyway) a better atmosphere in the smoking area ?

Could it be classed as 'cruel and unusual punishment' to make smokers stand outside in the freezing cold in winter ?

Should smokers have preference to available seating in smoking areas in the summer ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I'm a smoker and I love the smoking ban.

Standing in a smoky pub now just seems... uncivilised, somehow. I don't even smoke in my house anymore.

Good for your skin and it's great not to reek of fags after a night out.

edit: also, Germany's ban was pretty poorly implemented from what I've heard and was badly enforced (mentions as much in that article). It's not a surprise that it cost people business. The blanket ban is the best way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Phlann wrote: »
    I'm a smoker and I love the smoking ban.

Standing in a smoky pub now just seems... uncivilised, somehow. I don't even smoke in my house anymore.

Good for your skin and it's great not to reek of fags after a night out.

edit: also, Germany's ban was pretty poorly implemented from what I've heard and was badly enforced (mentions as much in that article). It's not a surprise that it cost people business. The blanket ban is the best way to do it.

I second that point of view, speaking as a former smoker who couldn't have quit as succesfully as i have without the smoking ban.

i'm not going to lecture smokers but the ban is good for the vast majority of people and not reeking of smoke the next day is just another bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't have statistics, but I do know a LOT of people who won't be drinking in smoking pubs. Besides, with this weather we've been drinkin outside at the lakes all week. If it's cold, we drink at home.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

marcsignal wrote: »

Yay, free cancer for everyone!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I don't have statistics, but I do know a LOT of people who won't be drinking in smoking pubs. Besides, with this weather we've been drinkin outside at the lakes all week. If it's cold, we drink at home.

Well I know I wouldn't set foot in a smoking pub today.

The onlydownside I can think of to the smoking ban is the overpowering smell of Guinness farts in pubs. In the old days the smoke used to cover it. Jesus it's horrible. Have they no fecking shame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Me too.

When I worked in Frankfurt I couldn't get over the culture of smoking. The cigarette vending machines on nearly every street corner used to make me smile as I walked to work, thinking about how long they'd last in Dublin!

Germans tend to dislike open-plan offices and usually all ranks, sorry, grades of staff get to have their own office or share with another person. Where I used to work smoking was common in most offices.

There's a lot of truth in the linked article about post-war Germany and the attitude to smoking under the Nazis. You could argue the same about vegetarianism and how it was promoted by the Nazis, yet nowadays Kaulfbraun (Calf Brain) is a staple in most traditional pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As a former smoker I found the smoking ban was great (clean air in the pub, met loads of new people outside whilst smoking) and I've also recently given up and still find it great and in hindsight it embarrasses me to think of the years I spent ruining the air and health of non smokers in pubs.

I think if you believe that smoking should be allowed in pubs simply to enhance the 'atmosphere' you're a complete tard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

No, I like the ban, it's how I pick up people.

IE: Go outside for a smoke and see who is by themselves up for a chat.

Even if it was still overturned over here I would still smoke outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Could it be classed as 'cruel and unusual punishment' to make smokers stand outside in the freezing cold in winter ?

No you deserve the cold weather, and on warm days you should be encased in ice during every smoke! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Fu*king marvellous :mad: And just as I was starting to enjoy going out again.

I could see from day one that this wasn't being enforced properly. No-one seemed to give a sh!t about the ban.

• Advertisement
Advertisement