Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom versus UPC

Options
  • 31-07-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Alright I was one of the people who got the Eircom 7616/672 upgrade and somewhat upset about the high interleaving.
    I don't download much at all but want a reliable, low latency connection for gaming. So while the extra bandwidth is nice, overall the connection as it stands is worse for my usage.
    So as a possible backup in case the interleaving is here to stay I'm considering two options (Smart isn't available here):
    (1) Downgrade to the 3Meg package
    (2) Switch to UPC

Any particular advise? Also due to the way that cable broadband works, if you got some heavy downloaders in your neighbourhood the speed will go downhill? (never had cable before so I humbly accept any correction here).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Are you joking? You need extra bandwidth and have the option of getting 20mb (for cheaper than you are paying now for an inferior product) and you are actually hesitating in switching to UPC?? Ok some don't like UPC's customer care but in my experience Eircom have crap call centres too. There is really no other reason why you should still be with Eircom! And DSL is also subject to contention (too many users) so I don't know where you heard that it is unique to cable. Pings will also be better than what you are getting on eircom's 7.6mb package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

UPC have terrible customer care. None the less, they are far better than Eircon. As long as your BB doesn't go down (mine very rarely does) you'll have no need to deal with the CC. UPC all the way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not dealt with NTL's customer service but can't fault their service for two years I used it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not dealt with NTL's customer service but can't fault their service for two years I used it :)
    Why did you move away from them then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Why did you move away from them then?

I moved from my flat in a city to my new house in the country and can now only get either wireless from a small provider (no mobile Broadband provider will work in the area) or ADSL via Eircom and its resellers. I'm just glad I can get any ADSL :)

Finally decided on getting UTV and getting about 3MB on it, write up on it here - http://www.cabaal.org/log/labels/broadband.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Cabaal wrote:
    Speed tests results ok too (see above), another benefit over other DSL providers is when using UTV's Northern Ireland proxy server on a UTV connection you can use BBC iPlayer which is very handy

Do UTV give you a permanant UK ip address or do they give you details of a optional proxy server? If so wanna pm me details so i can see can i use it myself :p

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Do UTV give you a permanant UK ip address or do they give you details of a optional proxy server? If so wanna pm me details so i can see can i use it myself :p

No IP is Irish and dynamic, they used to have a Northern Ireland proxy you could use which would allow you top use BBC iPlayer etc but they've recently shut this down which is a awful shame :(

I went for them as they provide a "unlimited" option for 5e extra a month so it seemed like a good option, so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I used to have a permanent IP address with UTV for a home server, cost €5pm at the time. I'm sure they'll give you one if you ask but it won't be free.

Advertisement