Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do ntl charge u more if you ask them for post office payment?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

just checking before i order their b/b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They charge €2/month extra for non-direct debit payment afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Good Boy

Soon going to be €3 unless you use direct debit.
    Also got a shock today as I have only UPC Broadband They are now charging a stand alone charge of €6 extra per month trying to force people to also take their TV package etc.
    They'r going the way of Ry-n Air finding all sorts of ways to charge extras.

Regards

Good Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Can you still use the tv service even if you're Broadband only?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Can you still use the tv service even if you're Broadband only?

D
    On Ex-NTL networks in Dublin, yes, you still get the standard 17 analogue channels even if you pay for just broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Good Boy wrote: »
    Also got a shock today as I have only UPC Broadband They are now charging a stand alone charge of €6 extra per month trying to force people to also take their TV package etc.

They used to only sell broadband if you took the TV service. The €6 charge is actually a €14 saving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

paulm17781 wrote: »
    They used to only sell broadband if you took the TV service. The €6 charge is actually a €14 saving.

How can it be a saving if you do not actually get the service?:rolleyes: Even the most optimistic marketing person would not claim that.

The six euros extra is a pricing 'incentive' to take more of their services.

dub45 wrote: »
    How can it be a saving if you do not actually get the service?:rolleyes: Even the most optimistic marketing person would not claim that.

The six euros extra is a pricing 'incentive' to take more of their services.

Sigh...

You used to have to take the TV, it is now €23.50 for that. They got rid of this necessity but chose to charge €6. Which would you rather pay?

How is €6 an incentive to take more? "Hmm, I'm paying €6 and getting analogue for it, maybe I should pay an extra €17.50." I hope you don't work in marketing, I really do.

Sigh...

You used to have to take the TV, it is now €23.50 for that. They got rid of this necessity but chose to charge €6. Which would you rather pay?

How is €6 an incentive to take more? "Hmm, I'm paying €6 and getting analogue for it, maybe I should pay an extra €17.50." I hope you don't work in marketing, I really do.

Because previously you were getting something for your money even if you didnt want it. Now you are being charged a 'penalty' of 6 euros for taking that service on its own. Some peope might say 'I may as well pay the extra and get the tv service as well'. Thats a a pricing incentive.

Other people who only want the bb service are being charged an exta six euros for the privliege. Its like someone who goes into HMV and wants one of the dvds that in the 2 for 30 euros sale. To the the dvd alone you probably have to pay 20 euros. I doubt that person will say Thank you HMV for selling it to me seperately I am 'saving' 10 euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Good Boy wrote: »

Regards

Good Boy
    Thats not a new thing, they have always charged that 6 euro for people getting the broadband without tv.

Because previously you were getting something for your money even if you didnt want it. Now you are being charged a 'penalty' of 6 euros for taking that service on its own. Some peope might say 'I may as well pay the extra and get the tv service as well'. Thats a a pricing incentive.

I'll try again then stop. You used to have no choice. You could never get just broadband. You had to get analogue too. That cost at least €20 I don't remember. Now a days for €6 you don't have to pay the extra €17.50 for analogue. That is a saving over the previous policy.

€40 + €23.50 (analogue cost) = €63.50
    €40 + €6 = €46

€63.50 - €46 = €17.50, that's €17.50 less than they used to charge you and the analogue is still there so you are getting everything you used to get. I don't like UPC either but at least use sensible arguments. Whatever way you look at it, the minimum charge for broadband is lower than it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

So why not just say the broadband is 46 Euro and not 40 euro ?
    I understand what you're saying and all with regards past charges etc., and how it's different now but still cannot see the reason for the extra 6 euro charge other than it being a penalty charge.

I'll try again then stop. You used to have no choice. You could never get just broadband. You had to get analogue too. That cost at least €20 I don't remember. Now a days for €6 you don't have to pay the extra €17.50 for analogue. That is a saving over the previous policy.

€40 + €23.50 (analogue cost) = €63.50
    €40 + €6 = €46

€63.50 - €46 = €17.50, that's €17.50 less than they used to charge you and the analogue is still there so you are getting everything you used to get. I don't like UPC either but at least use sensible arguments. Whatever way you look at it, the minimum charge for broadband is lower than it used to be.

I am not disputing that the minimum charge for broadband is lower than it used to be. In fact BB is now cheaper than it used to be at its introduction. but it would be stretching it to say the we are 'saving' on our bb bills every month.

Say you wanted a dvd that was part of a box set and had to buy the box set that was a marketing decision.

Now due to another marketing decision you can get the dvd seperately albeit at a higher price pro rata than buying the entire box set. That to me and I imagine most people is not a 'saving'.

UPC saw there there was a market there for bb on its own and are effectively putting a levy on the people who take the bb on its own. If you regard that as a 'saving' thats your prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

upcs main service is tv it makes sense that they would want people to get there tv in. and its up to them if they want to charge people for not getting in there tv service.

this was discussed here before use the search

Nehaxak wrote: »
    So why not just say the broadband is 46 Euro and not 40 euro ?
    I understand what you're saying and all with regards past charges etc., and how it's different now but still cannot see the reason for the extra 6 euro charge other than it being a penalty charge.

I totally agree but I think it comes down to UPCs inability to appeal to customers. €40 sounds cheaper but only if you have their TV. I think it would be better advertising as €46 or €40 if you take TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I totally agree but I think it comes down to UPCs inability to appeal to customers. €40 sounds cheaper but only if you have their TV. I think it would be better advertising as €46 or €40 if you take TV.

Case of false advertising to be answered maybe.
    Must keep a look out for the adverts myself and see if I can stir things up with them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Its like someone who goes into HMV and wants one of the dvds that in the 2 for 30 euros sale. To the the dvd alone you probably have to pay 20 euros. I doubt that person will say Thank you HMV for selling it to me seperately I am 'saving' 10 euros!

If you buy something that you don't really want then you are not saving. Why spend an extra €10 on a DVD that you are only buying to avail of the offer. If they sell you the one item you DO want then you are not forced to buy two items, thereby left with a tenner extra in your pocket.

Same applies to the bb/tv issue. Whatever way you look at it €40 is a great price for 20mb bb.

Besides, don't other service providers (electricity and gas) apply service charges...........about the €20 mark??

ITS

Thats not a new thing, they have always charged that 6 euro for people getting the broadband without tv.

First time they'v charge me last month so looks like I'v saved a stack of dough
    over the last 5 years. Aren't I lucky.

Good Boy

Should have said I first had their tv service and gave it up 2 years ago due to poor service.

Regards

Good Boy

Advertisement