Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to stay.

• 31-07-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Im going to WIT in September to study Criminal Justice. Ive read the other topics about accomadation but im still undecided as to where to stay.

Up untill now, I had been planning on Manor Village, but after reading so much bad stuff about it im not so sure. My brother spent his first year in WIT in Manor and had no major problems.

Where did you stay? Advantages/disadvantages?

I hear Manor is good for 1st years, for making friends and all that, so thats a positive.

Ill be in the School of Humanities, anyone know how close that is to Manor/riverwalk etc?

I presume they all have broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hi,

Just search this particular forum and you will find many topics on this. All accomodation is covered in here already, just search a little. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thats probably the only positive :p

Really, the other topic covers all the advantages / disadvantages of every place. There has been so many of them! Really, your better of for asking specifics here.

To summarise;
    - Not many like Manor for different reasons, but the plus side is its great for meeting new friends and having partys most nights. Dont expect much else tho.
    - Riverwalk is like Manor, but much better. The negatives, you dont make as much friends in Riverwalk and you dont have partys every night (at least, I dont think so - a lot would consider that an advantage tho :p)
    - Railway Square is the somewat posh student way of living, but used to come in around the same price as Manor. Same advantages/disadvantages as Riverwalk I suppose (tho, your right beside the cinema, clubs and pubs - and a bus stop going directly to the college)
    - Templers Hall is a bit dodgy. Theres always trouble there - tho I think thats cause its a housing estate mixed with Students and Familys. The college have got involved before, travellers and residents of other estates have joined in the trouble in the estate and local Guardai always drive through it or are in someones house. They say the front is the quietest, but I disagree.
    - Lismore Park I know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Deise-Girl..xx

hi,
    as far as i know most of the humanity courses take place in the college street campus..both manor village and accomodation in railway square are very close..manor village is probably the closest tho

as im from waterford i live at home but a few people i know have stayed in both places and seem to like them!manor village is great if ur looking for somewhere close with lots of people and parties..but if u want somewhere a bit quieter id say railway sq. would be a better choice..manor village def has broadband not 2 sure bout railway sq.

hope that helps!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can get broadband everywhere I mentioned.

There is also a thing called luxury and not hostel like accommodation - Manor wouldnt be close to luxury (There was a thread about the fungus growing on the walls behind the beds and some people got sick) but more like hostel accommodation.

Ok i know i said that there was threads already in place. But in fairness here is the low down, templers is rough, but i wouldnt count it as dangerous, i've lived there a year and have had no problems. Manor has pricks of security, people get banned from manor for visiting others which is my experience of the place and also its very noisy what with at least one party a night a week...riverwalk is quieter but seemingly this year security hasa tightened as have the staff and inspections are tedious.

Just choose railway square :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

My advice, try get digs, then suss the town out for yourself, after a while maybe you'll end up sharing with people you get friendly with over the year.Dont think anyone stays in their first place.Just watch out for dodgy landlords and don't be too trusting.Have known too many people that have been stung over the years.You'll get the feel for the place soon enough and will make the right decision that suites yourself.Good luck with the move and welcome to waterford, hope the course goes wll for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Thanks for the advice/replys everyone. I hadnt heard of railway square till now so ill look into that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

Hmm, well you could check on bookaroom.ie if your willing to share, I personaly am going to get a single place in railway or the courtyard, as I dont like living with strangers. but the price is almost double when you do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tony71187

id advise ursiline court for college st. campus and templers hall for the main campus. but thats just because I hate appartments. too small for a party :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AndymanOnFire

Yea I stayed in Manor Village for my first year... Its great for partys and stuff, but my god it can get annoying if you have to get up early. They are quite strict on cleanliness, having other people stay over etc. It's literally less than a two min walk to College Street campus (They also do a bus service to the main college for students)
    So yea for your fist year me thinks you'd be better off staying in Manor Village because thay everything for you (Broadband, TV, laundry service and Spar is just at the front)

Then 2nd year get a house :D

Edit: Oh yea the rooms are actually really nice and fairly big. And most of them have En Suites, best thing ever.

• Advertisement

Yea I stayed in Manor Village for my first year... Its great for partys and stuff, but my god it can get annoying if you have to get up early. They are quite strict on cleanliness, having other people stay over etc. It's literally less than a two min walk to College Street campus (They also do a bus service to the main college for students)
    So yea for your fist year me thinks you'd be better off staying in Manor Village because thay everything for you (Broadband, TV, laundry service and Spar is just at the front)

Then 2nd year get a house :D

Edit: Oh yea the rooms are actually really nice and fairly big. And most of them have En Suites, best thing ever.

Thats about all its good for - partying and meeting new people. Everything else is frowned upon. Its like living at home all over again. The whole cleanliness thing makes me laugh though - considering the apartments are not that great. There was a thread on the forum ages ago about how bad some of the apartments were with fungus growing on the walls.

The bedrooms are small dude. Im not sure what you think is big, but iv seen better sized rooms in student accommodation.

Most of the other stuff is standard in a lot of student accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AndymanOnFire

Sully wrote: »
    The whole cleanliness thing makes me laugh though

Hahaha oh yea I forgot to mention we had a mouse living in our kitchen underneath the worktop. Good job they never saw it. I suppose it didn't help that we knew it was there and decided to feed it. Cool lil mouse.
    The bedrooms are small dude.

We had a three bedroom apartment and to be fair the bedrooms weren't that bad, although I had the biggest one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Alesbury and De Bruin Court are manky, i saw them to day...

i shall be residing in Riverwalk for the next year!! yepieee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

hi im going into the second year of your course hope ya enjoy it.
    manor and riverwalk are tight on security as already mentioned, railway square is not student accomodation so will be more expensive. ailsbery manor and the gardens are near college street campus so prob worthwhile for you to look into, also strawberry hill.
    im moving into a house up the road, send me a pm and i'll let u know if i know of any local houses looking for someone.

Riverwalk has student accommodation available and its similarly priced to Manor IIRC.

check www.daft.ie and hit lettings, waterford city centre and just press search. focus on all student accomodation listings, theres loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Of all the student accomodation, I would without a doubt choose to live in railway square. Even though I live only a few minutes walk away from it as it is, I was seriously considering taking the plunge and going there.

Railway sq. is 420 a month, and is completly booked out since june by mostly 3rd year students.

just to say

yeah and i dont think its student accomodation is it??
    either way your correct its very expensive and its hard to get into this time of year, but it is spacious and luxurious with parking internet etc etc. prob best kept the the 3rd years actually, let them go out in abit of class :P

AdMMM wrote: »
    Of all the student accomodation, I would without a doubt choose to live in railway square. Even though I live only a few minutes walk away from it as it is, I was seriously considering taking the plunge and going there.

I would move there if I was moving out from home :D Better class of student accommodation if you don't want to move into a house or other ****ty student accommodation blocks.
    Kidd-o wrote: »
    Railway sq. is 420 a month, and is completly booked out since june by mostly 3rd year students.

just to say

Ah thanks for the heads up. Whats Manor Village asking for? I remember there wasn't a huge difference when you compared the pros/cons/cost of each.

• Advertisement

yeah and i dont think its student accomodation is it??
    either way your correct its very expensive and its hard to get into this time of year, but it is spacious and luxurious with parking internet etc etc. prob best kept the the 3rd years actually, let them go out in abit of class :P

Ya they have student accommodation and then normal flats which are more expensive and aimed at a different class of people like businessmen IIRC.

Oh right, didnt know that thanks. I think for first years from different parts of the counter, the main student blocks are the best (specifically manor village and riverwalk), for the reasons mentioned above.
    After year one when you have a core of friends and know your class etc, perhaps consider the townhouses etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

Anyone know anything about Johns Lane? I went to look at them today. It's literally about 10 seconds from Railway Court so it's a pretty good location considering it's more or less in the city and about 2 mins walk from the college. Didn't seem too bad - a bit overpriced though I thought but I put the deposit down anyway... (€1700 for 4 months + €100 for bin) And no internet either! :o
    Anyone know of any available places that could be better? (That's the major problem - the availability sucks for so soon before the semester starts and everythings more or less taken...)

Ok. Now I'm staying in Riverwalk! Phew!
    After reading about the security/broadband/ensuite every room I wanted it straight away :D
    Cancelled the other place and now I'm a LOT less nervous about moving over to Waterford after getting a place in Riverwalk (should be the better option considering I'm only 1st year and that's what most recommended for 1st years along with Manor - which is full)

Glad you got sorted, best of luck with it :)

Mr. Blah wrote: »
    Ok. Now I'm staying in Riverwalk! Phew!
    After reading about the security/broadband/ensuite every room I wanted it straight away :D
    Cancelled the other place and now I'm a LOT less nervous about moving over to Waterford after getting a place in Riverwalk (should be the better option considering I'm only 1st year and that's what most recommended for 1st years along with Manor - which is full)

Not trying to burst your bubble but security are a pain, their broadband is as slow as dial-up internet but the ensuites are ok:)

stick-dan wrote: »
    Not trying to burst your bubble but security are a pain, their broadband is as slow as dial-up internet but the ensuites are ok:)

I won't care about annoying security at all! :) I'd rather be safe than sorry (two girls were stabbed on Monday night outside the place I had my first deposit down on)
    As for the broadband - it may be slow (which will tick me off I guarantee LOL) but I had none in the other place so anything's better than nothing :P

Ah ok mate fair enough, two stabbed never read a bout that, riverwalk doesn't seem too bad then, i didn't mean to go on a personal attack but i lived there and didn't find the whole experience enjoyable and i promptly changed accomodation.

Maybe they will have done something with the broadband by september. They had a 3mb line dedicated between over 1000 students staying there.

Stabbin can happen anywhere, I wouldnt have held that against the place..

• Advertisement

Nope - never held it against the place. Aready knew I wanted to stay in Riverwalk before I found out about it anyway :P I just would personally feel safer with security (which the other place didn't have)
    I'm use to going on the internet in the middle of the night anyway (sometimes like 5-6am so hopefully hardly anyone would be on then LOL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 collywolly123

i would pick templars hall over any place in town..i think that because i know most people living there i get this great sense of community!
    especially on a mon or wed night when theres partys on!...anyone and everyone is invited,you can have the music up as loud as you like, ya can keep pets, have people stay over,it dosnt aleways have to be spotless clean, and its as big as a house!! haha
    But when there isnt partys on theres always the boys out with the rugby or stick and ball, and the girls in makin cups of tea haha!! thats my experience anyway...

But in saying that, this type of living for a first year would probably scare the heeby jeebys out of you...unless ya get a nice house with really nice people!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Templars Hall won't be a party haven anymore. Watch the newspapers in the next week or 2 to see what's happening.

:(:(seriously?? awhhh:(:( we had The Coronas back in April when they were down hoping to get The Blizzards back to t he house 12th sept!!

Well burning out cars, loud music and fighting on the streets and in back gardens on Thursday night was the last straw for you lot. The cops and fire brigades were called out to deal with the situation at 3a.m. where people had work at 8 a.m. Shows that there's no consideration for families and young kids in the area.

oh well..i was always only a visitor, seen as im living at home with my mum i was just giving my experience of templars,
    Riverwalk is good too, nice kitchens and bathrooms but bedrooms are very basic and most couches are so uncomfortable that we ended up sitting on the beds instead!

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Well burning out cars, loud music and fighting on the streets and in back gardens on Thursday night was the last straw for you lot. The cops and fire brigades were called out to deal with the situation at 3a.m. where people had work at 8 a.m. Shows that there's no consideration for families and young kids in the area.

I doubt there is much anybody can do, surley? The colleges hands are tied and unless the law is going to start arresting people and handing out fines which rarley happens in such situations in Ireland... I cant see what else they can do?! Any chance of a hint or two? I do feel sorry for the residents there alright, though some of them would complain if a pin dropped nearly.

true.

I lived there last year and intend on living there this year. The whole student population is not to blame in there it's merely only a row of 5 or 6 houses that ae giving the whole estate a bad name.

The cops will be monitoring the situation and handing out fines. Also the residents committee have had a meeting with a local councillor. A few have threatened to take matters into their own hands so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do feel sorry for the residents there alright, though some of them would complain if a pin dropped nearly.

Well put yourself in the position of having kids who need to get up in the morning for school and some drunken idiots decide to start fighting outside your house or turns up music so loud it's keeping you awake. The college have been approached last year and this year the residents and owners of the houses will be taking no crap.

• Advertisement

The cops will be monitoring the situation and handing out fines. Also the residents committee have had a meeting with a local councillor. A few have threatened to take matters into their own hands so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Handing out fines? To drunken students? That will be interesting. Im supprised none of the residents have been hurt, out with their video cameras recording everything that happens and in some cases challenging people. If they did anything, it would be them in court and not the students.
    Well put yourself in the position of having kids who need to get up in the morning for school and some drunken idiots decide to start fighting outside your house or turns up music so loud it's keeping you awake.

Thats different to what I was referring to.
    The college have been approached last year and this year the residents and owners of the houses will be taking no crap.

This goes around in circles, its been said and done before. Guards come and go but rarely do anything. The college sent out a "golden letter" (literally) threatening all sorts but they cant do very much if it doesn't happen in college grounds (unless a student is convicted).

Something should be done, I agree, but I don't believe it will. It happens all over the country and unfortunately nothing is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

BAD NEWS for me :(

I booked with Manor Village at the start of August, payed the deposite and all. Now, less than tw weeks before college starts, I get a phonecall to say there was no place for me :mad:

Anyone know of anywhere where there might still be space? Below are the places mentioned in this topic, but most are proberly booked up by now? :(

Riverwalk
    Railway Square
    Templers Hall
    Lismore Park
    ursiline court
    Digs
    Alesbury
    De Bruin Court
    Strawberry hill
    the gardens
    College Fields

you poor petal!!!!

There were loads in Aylesbury last week, de bruin was nearly full last week as was river walk, your best bet is ring them

for Aylesbury Manor and De Bruin court call +353 51 876054
    Riverwalk +353 (0)51 856704

let us know how ya get on!!! =D

someone else already mentioned railway square as being full
    im living in strawberry hill (well out to a house by the college 2moro) and as far as i know all these apts have been taken

See my post here :)

There is also this site

Spam reported

Advertisement