Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the most invigorating things I've ever done....

Options
  • 31-07-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

wowscrnshot073108183702bv3.th.jpg

No, not the stripping naked part (though that was kind of fun!)
    Deleting my main along with all of my alts was a tough decision, but looking back at the fun/grinding ratio of my playtime for the past few years, it was easily one of the wisest things that I've ever done.
    While I'm sure that most of you are having awesome fun playing WoW, this will hopefully bring a few people to their senses.

Join me!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054954208&highlight=deleted

I started again about 5 months ago... think I'm close to packing it in again.

I realised I hate end game.

Don't think I'm gonna delete mains this time though. Next time I get the itch they'll be a reminder of how annoying end game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

A nice sense of relief when you do it. I quickly grew tired of the repeatative nature of the end game material (despite blizzard decorating it differently). So instead of deleting the character I simply gave the password to a friend and told him to do what he wanted with it. Think the account got passed around a good bit.

Enjoy the free time you now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

tman wrote: »
    No, not the stripping naked part (though that was kind of fun!)
    Deleting my main along with all of my alts was a tough decision, but looking back at the fun/grinding ratio of my playtime for the past few years, it was easily one of the wisest things that I've ever done.
    While I'm sure that most of you are having awesome fun playing WoW, this will hopefully bring a few people to their senses.

Join me!!!

Ah just put in a ticket and get him back ;)

You miss it, everyone does when they stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Nomatter what, do not listen to the evil man above...he's pure eeeeeeeeeevil!

I quit about 4 or 5 months back. Get a few longings to play when bored sometimes, but having friends that still play it just keeps reminding you. As someone said, keep thinking of the boring endgame "life". MMORPG = grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

WellyJ wrote: »

Yep, I missed it like crazy the last 4-5 times I quit, I even managed to stay away for 6 months at one stage but still came crawling back eventually!
    This is the only way that I can stop myself from coming back to it... I've already changed the password and given my account to a mate so that he can check out the beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

fook quittin, just find a decent balance between social life and playing wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You can get the characters back. Blizzard never delete character data. This prob doesn't help you heh.

I gave my account away last time I quit to make sure I'd never come back. I have since bought a new account :(

this is what i mean, to say your going to quit and to give an account away, surely you know deep down you will be back!! hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Really, another "I'm deleting and quitting WoW" thread? Already?

Ah, they grow up so fast. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

copeyhagen wrote: »
    fook quittin, just find a decent balance between social life and playing wow.

Couldnt have said it better myself!
    Self control, its a wonderful thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hanza wrote: »
    Couldnt have said it better myself!
    Self control, its a wonderful thing :)

It's not possible, you either go casual and play endgame with a bunch of n00bs which is intensly frustrating, or you play endgame with a decent guild who require 30+ hours a week. I quit because there is no middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

WellyJ wrote: »
    Ah just put in a ticket and get him back ;)

I havent yet.. but i wasnt stupid enough to delete my 6 level 70's :O

i cant understand how you could delete 6 level 70s. all the time, gold effort that went in. shame on you!

with regards to having a balancem, i usually go with my mates to the cinema one day a week, like a monday. we play astro tuesday and saturday, and i go to town or whatever one night a week. normally a sat.

so i have a few weeknights (i normally work till about 6) and usually a friday evening/night and a few hours sunday.

i dont have a girlfriend atm but when i do i find it easy enough to see them and still manage a few evenings of wow.

granted i havent done 25 man raids but i still need my fix of wow as much as the next person!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Did the same a few weeks back, every time I quit a few months would pass and I think "Hmm, there is a few interesting new features/ instances, might jump back in and give it a go", then after 5 minutes I realise it is just the same stuff all over again. No chance of that now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i cant understand how you could delete 6 level 70s. all the time, gold effort that went in. shame on you!

with regards to having a balancem, i usually go with my mates to the cinema one day a week, like a monday. we play astro tuesday and saturday, and i go to town or whatever one night a week. normally a sat.

so i have a few weeknights (i normally work till about 6) and usually a friday evening/night and a few hours sunday.

i dont have a girlfriend atm but when i do i find it easy enough to see them and still manage a few evenings of wow.

granted i havent done 25 man raids but i still need my fix of wow as much as the next person!!!
    Oops i meant WASNT stupid enough to delete em :p

hehehe thats more like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Martinog wrote: »
    blah, blah, blah - breach of charter

WOW all of 500 euros... Jesus... Well i suppose if your on the social living it up large in the 'mun it'll buy you a few more ecko tracksuits..

But to get 6 toons to lvl 70 will probably cost a fair bit more then 500€ in game cards alone, then you have to add on the cost of electricty, food etc etc ;)

[Edit] Edited to remove Martinog's comments.[/Edit]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think it's so stupid to delete all your stuff man - just stop paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Martinog, please refrain from discussing buying/selling accounts on these forums, as it is in breach of our forum charter. If you are unsure of exactly what the policies of this forum are, please double check the charter. If you have any other questions, dont hesitate to ask and welcome to the forums :D

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think it's so stupid to delete all your stuff man - just stop paying.

As I've said already, I tried just stopping playing quite a few times already and it didn't work out for me. Doing this was the only way that I could break the continuous cycle of loving this game, then realising that I've just wasted months of my life playing WoW.

My hat goes off to anybody that can just walk away from it for good knowing that their toon is still there waiting for them... I couldn't.

As for selling my account... The thought never once crossed my mind. I got a nice warm feeling from just giving it to a mate so that he could play the WotlK beta:) (somehow doubt his girlfriend will be too happy with me though!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Fair enough I just associate it with emos (I know your not dont worry) it's just so emo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never deleted my characters when I quit, but I have no intention of going back to them. Having raided up to an Illidan kill, the thought of doing that again is just... ugh. It's only when you step back from it that you realise how crazy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,339 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think it all depends how far and serious you take things. I've been a level 70 for nearly a year but haven't raided anything higher than Gruul's Lair or ZA, which still isn't cleared. I'm in a guild that doesn't require raid sign-ups, progress is achingly slow but I love it. I dip in and out when I want, I don't have to be on at a certain date for a five or six hours whether I want to be or not and I can enjoy the game and play at my own pace. If I've nothing going on during the week I might play three or four nights for anything up to four hours a night, but there have been times when I've gone two, three weeks without logging on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its best to be casual about it, I only play loads when im bored but if theres plenty of stuff to be doing I play hardly any warcraft during those times. At the same time I think it's a big mistake to give up the game entirely, there is always time to play a bit of warcraft and still have a very good social life. Unfortunately tho as sed above if you want to experience all the end game raids and dungeons with a good guild ye need to dedicate about 30 to 40 hours too the game per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately tho as sed above if you want to experience all the end game raids and dungeons with a good guild ye need to dedicate about 30 to 40 hours too the game per week.
    30-40 hours a week... minimum. You'll see plenty in these guilds who play more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

30-40 hours a week... minimum. You'll see plenty in these guilds who play more.

Where do they get the money for bills, etc?

Get a second part time job:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

well op ifyou do ever get the urge its good to know the gamesmasters will retrieve the characters for you again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Right, so they dont sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Where do they get the money for bills, etc?

Most of them are still living with their parents tbh.

The sad truth.

Advertisement