Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there too many boards, in boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mirror wrote: »
    There's me there, right in the middle! I'm cool like that.

I'm right under you!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Invisible Mode, ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

janeybabe wrote: »
    I'm right under you!

:eek:
    Damn right :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

somebody wrote:
    Are there too many boards, in boards?
    no

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hi, I mainly use this site at work, as it is the only message boards that will work on our restricted system. However, I do find that boards.ie is like a ghost town at the best of times. I have subscribed to tonnes of threads and visit many different boards but there just seems to be very little going on. Do you think that there are too many forums and not enough posters? Maybe its time to trim it down a bit?

Discuss.

The obvious solution is to simply cull all the fora your subbed to as there "is very little going on" within.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I dunno, I guess I just crave the community feel I get with other fora I frequent. I have been here over a year (different alias) and I barely recognise peoples names, bar the creationist thread.

:)

I dunno, I guess I just crave the community feel I get with other fora I frequent. I have been here over a year (different alias) and I barely recognise peoples names, bar the creationist thread.

Maybe have a look around more? There actually is a community feel about the place. And if you barely recognise peoples' names, that means there are lots of people, so your theory that there is no one here is kind of defunct!

[cough]re-reg?[cough] ;)
    if im off for a day, everything im subbed to kicks off. im subbed to about 19 forums. easier access.
    maybe its the forums youve subbed

janeybabe wrote: »
    Maybe have a look around more? There actually is a community feel about the place. And if you barely recognise peoples' names, that means there are lots of people, so your theory that there is no one here is kind of defunct!

AHHHHHH! What I'm saying is that there are too many boards, for too few people. Read what I said above! I'm talking a peeps-boards ratio!

AHHHHHH! What I'm saying is that there are too many boards, for too few people. Read what I said above! I'm talking a peeps-boards ratio!
    but the more boards, the more people it will attract.
    then they get stuck here and addicted :cool:

• Advertisement

Nerin wrote: »
    [cough]re-reg?[cough] ;)
    if im off for a day, everything im subbed to kicks off. im subbed to about 19 forums. easier access.
    maybe its the forums youve subbed

My last username made it a bit too obvious who my reali identity is, which is a shame cause I had a couple thousand posts. Anywho, I will sub to a few more forums and see what happens.

My last username made it a bit too obvious who my reali identity is, which is a shame cause I had a couple thousand posts. Anywho, I will sub to a few more forums and see what happens.
    [pimp]try the nocturnal forum[pimp]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You didnt close the pimp tags!
    Now you are pimping me!
    [/pimp][/pimp]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you want an inactive forum, try Web hosting. The last post was 5 years ago when DeV got pissed off with a few users and locked it!:eek:
    There are probably others, I found it recently when searching for something...

Is it kitty time yet?

SteveC wrote: »
    If you want an inactive forum, try Web hosting. The last post was 5 years ago when DeV got pissed off with a few users and locked it!:eek:
    There are probably others, I found it recently when searching for something...

Is it kitty time yet?

Actually it was almost exactly 4 years ago when Johnny Versace asked for advice.

I would endorse kittys at this point but it would be up to a mod/admin now wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Good riddance to the Web Hosting forum - one of the best moves we ever made.

I'm of the opinion that we don't have enough forums yet :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Having loads of forums is great as long as there isn't inverted commas seperating them.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Whats wrong with having some busy forums and some quiet forums? At almost any time of the day there are a good few on several of the bigger forums like AH, Soccer, Motors and Poker. During the busy times there are regularly over 100 on each of these forums. hardly quiet.

also, if you delete all the quiet forums, what about the poor mods? There will be too much coke and hookers left over for those that remain.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

5starpool wrote: »
    also, if you delete all the quiet forums, what about the poor mods? There will be too much coke and hookers left over for those that remain.......

/sorry - this thread need some life :D

5starpool wrote: »

There's a decent redundancy packet available for mods with over 50 bans/year.

Serious answer - nope. Some of the IT forums might look dead but who is to say they'll stay dead when college starts again? Or if not this year, perhaps next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

No I don't think so, though it can be hard to find forums at times without doing a search. I'd like to see a forum where people could discuss what's happening in the news. A News/Current Affairs board. I don't think Politics necessarily covers that. Or would it be leading Boards.ie into dodgy libel territory?

PS A Classic Rock forum sounds like a great idea :)

Firetrap wrote: »
    No I don't think so, though it can be hard to find forums at times without doing a search. I'd like to see a forum where people could discuss what's happening in the news. A News/Current Affairs board. I don't think Politics necessarily covers that. Or would it be leading Boards.ie into dodgy libel territory?

PS A Classic Rock forum sounds like a great idea :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=444 <- News / Meeja?

Or else there's always humanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Would there be any chance of a "Scat" forum??

nah - it'd be a load of shite

tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I dunno, I guess I just crave the community feel I get with other fora I frequent. I have been here over a year (different alias) and I barely recognise peoples names, bar the creationist thread. :)
    What kinda stuff do you want to talk about, but can't find a place to do it? :)

I think you have to be more specific than "too many forums*". Who else would you snip?!

* I hate the word fora

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Superman supports you:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=92107

Ok, I give up on that! Moving on...

I would like to attempt to get more traffic into the forum of my speciality; Economics. I dont like the way it is tucked away under the ambiguous 'biz -> personal'. Should I start a new thread regarding this or should I make the case here now I have yer attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok, I give up on that! Moving on...

I would like to attempt to get more traffic into the forum of my speciality; Economics. I dont like the way it is tucked away under the ambiguous 'biz -> personal'. Should I start a new thread regarding this or should I make the case here now I have yer attention?

What's it worth to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Terry wrote: »
    What's it worth to you?

Capitalism at work. I like it.

Advertisement