Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Safe to connect two sets of jump leads together?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Got a car with a flat battery in a position such that it's impossible to get another car close enough to it for a set of standard jump leads.

Is it safe to link up two sets of jump leads? Obviously, keeping the polarities right.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Got a car with a flat battery in a position such that it's impossible to get another car close enough to it for a set of standard jump leads.

Is it safe to link up two sets of jump leads? Obviously, keeping the polarities right.

Thanks!
    Yes, its perfectly safe BUT make sure they can't come apart easly or battery could short.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I would be very careful doing this. My first thought is that where the leads join (i.e. where they're clipped together) is exposed, the same as if the insulation was exposed in the wires. Probably ok for the -ve terminal, but probably not so good if the +ve touches off one of the cars bodies? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

"Perfectly safe" is debatable.

If you just clip together the two sets of crocs teeth like connectors ...keep in mind that they are not perfectly insulated ...don't let them touch anything.

Also, if you only have two thin/cheap sets of jump leads, the resistance in them might be too high and they could get hot, hot, hot

Any chance of pushing the disabled car out a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

peasant wrote: »
    "Perfectly safe" is debatable.

Agreed.

Where the two sets of croc clips connect you will (unavoidably) have increased resistance across the connection. This will limit the current that can pass and could possibly result in overheating the cables. The best solution would be to beg or borrow a longer set of leads or get a lend of a booster pack.

As previously stated, if you do use the two sets of leads pay close attention to keeping the + cable away from anything metal on both cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just take the good battery out of the other car, then jump start the bad one, then reinstall the good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Pininfarina

All points taken on board. Will be swapping the battery methinks.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    just take the good battery out of the other car, then jump start the bad one, then reinstall the good one.

Yep - the simplest solution. Just be sure you have the radio code before removing the battery.......

by taking out the battery, I mean remove the good battery from the good car, leave the bad battery in the other car. jump start using 1 set of leads. reinstall good battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Is the car an automatic? can you not push the car into a position that you can make a jump lead connection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Safe if you get some elephant or duct tape and wrap it around the exposed two joining positive crock ends. If the poz end touch any metal part of the car it will short out and could cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and for those that don't know what kind of power lives in a car battery:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    OP make sure you have a radio code;)

and for those that don't know what kind of power lives in a car battery:

I was puting a battery back in a car before when I crossed + and -.:D
    not nice.

Good post peasant!

To put it in perspective, a car's starter can draw in excess of 150 amps @ 12VDC (depending on the engine size). The main fuse in your house is 63 amps @ 220VAC. The lower voltage in a car requires a much larger current to do the same work. Car batteries can deliver an almighty punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

endplate wrote: »
    Is the car an automatic? can you not push the car into a position that you can make a jump lead connection?
    What's the relevance of your 'automatic' question?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    What's the relevance of your 'automatic' question?

If it's an auto, then it's possible that it can't be taken out of 'park' without the brake pedal pressed - this requires electricity to operate the brake pedal switch.

OP another thing to remember always take off -(black) first and the when your putting it back put on the +(red) first;)

Plug wrote: »
    OP another thing to remember always take off -(black) first and the when your putting it back put on the +(red) first;)

Positive/red/+ connects to donor car first then to + on stricken car. Negative/Ground/Black/- connects to donor car once + leads are connected. -/black should not be connected to the battery post of the stricken car but to well grounded metal at least 18 inches from the battery.

GaBLE

Good and Bad, Live (+) then Earth (-).

1 Connect a 'good' battery to your 'bad' one using the live (+) lead and terminal. Then attach the earth lead to the engine block or chassis member (DO NOT attach it to the negative (-) battery terminal of the 'bad' battery.)

2 Once connected, start the 'good' car first and leave its engine running, then try turning on the ignition of your car.

3 Once your engine is running smoothly, remove the leads in reverse order, one at a time.

4 Whatever you do, don't switch you engine off now. It'll take a 20 min drive with the radio and other non-essential electricals off to fully recharge the battery - so you won't have to repeat the process all over again when you stop

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Positive/red/+ connects to donor car first then to + on stricken car. Negative/Ground/Black/- connects to donor car once + leads are connected. -/black should not be connected to the battery post of the stricken car but to well grounded metal at least 18 inches from the battery.
    I was on about taking out the good battery and reinstalling it:o

Plug wrote: »
    I was on about taking out the good battery and reinstalling it:o

I know - I was just adding the jump start version - apologies if you misunderstood.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I know - I was just adding the jump start version - apologies if you misunderstood.
    no bothers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Also, if you only have two thin/cheap sets of jump leads, the resistance in them might be too high and they could get hot, hot, hot

I can vouch for this, once using a mates "Homemade" jumpleads, i proceeded to take them off the battery, but in that process i welded them my fingers, hot hot hot + sore

ON TOPIC

The chances of the brakes not being siezed are slim so pushing aint an option im guessing.

Colm's idea of taking out the good is the safest option

Advertisement