Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flat roof - materials?

• 31-07-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to re-cover my flat roof for the purpose of making it into a roof garden. I plan on covering the existing surface, starting with 3 quarter inch plywood as it is currently only quarter inch.

Should I then put an underlay and then a top layer? And if so can anyone recommend a particular brand of material that is durable enough to resist wear and tear from things like chairs, plant pots, people walking on etc... Any gotchas or tips would be most welcome...

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The roof joists may not be strong enough to support people.
    Quite possible it was only designed as a roof and not a floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Mellor wrote: »
    The roof joists may not be strong enough to support people.
    Quite possible it was only designed as a roof and not a floor

very true, get that investigated by an engineer. If it needs strenghtening or replacing with bigger timbers its an extra cost.
    Bauder manufacture green roof systems but I dont know who supplies them. They are expensive and very heavy.

If its just a membrane you want then Trocal or Sarnafil are the main brands and will have their own nominated fitters.

Make sure there is a protection of some sort on top of the membranes, either decking or paving and fix an appropriate handrail and guarding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Don Pedro

Great advice, Thanks for your help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

Asphalt roof covered by 600x600mm concrete slabs on plastic corner kerbs. Self draining, minimum maintenance and little affect from ultra violet. Will last a lifetime if laid correctly... bit of weight involved though but hey its worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement