Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jusst signed up for a eircom phone watch system but having 2nd thoughts

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭

ok just signed up for an eircom phone watch contract.

i got talked into by a very good sales person.

if i want to get out of the contract. it seemed a good deal 1300 for 3 years.

if i want to get out of the contact how would i go about doing it.

i signed up to the direct debit option.

by law do i have a cooling off period?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1 week cooling off I think , hop to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

[Qutoe]50.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (4), a consumer may withdraw from an agreement within 10 days of receiving it or a copy thereof ("the cooling-off period") by giving written notice to this effect to the creditor or the owner, as the case may be.

(2) A consumer may forego his right to a cooling-off period in any credit agreement by signing a statement to this effect separately from any other term of the agreement.

(3) A statement by which a consumer forgoes the right to a cooling-off period shall carry in a prominent position:

"WARNING THIS WAIVER MEANS YOU ARE GIVING UP YOUR RIGHT TO A 10 DAY PERIOD TO RECONSIDER YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE AGREEMENT.".

(4) This section does not apply to a housing loan or credit availed of by means of a credit card or an overdraft facility offered by a credit institution.[/Quote]

i have 10 days.

think ill get writing and include this part in my letter. now to find out the right address to address it to.
    would i write to friends first or eircom phone watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This happened to my mum a few years ago. She buckled under the hard sell from an EXTREMELY forceful door to door sales guy. The next day she rang eircom and explained. They gave her the number of the sales company and she rang and cancelled the order.
    At first they tried the "oh no this is very difficult to do " line but then the lady on the phone just gave up and said it happened all the time.
    So... don't worry too much about it. I'd ring up and explain and see what they tell you to do. You shouldn't need to much legaleese. Just be firm with them.You're legally entitely to pull out and they're well used to people doing it ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

If it was done over the phone, the there are distance selling regulations that will enforce the cooling off period. if you signed a waiver to waive it, its more difficult, however if you were pressed into signing something without your knowledge, you may have grounds for recompense.

It kinda depends on the mood of the person you talk to to cancel it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you signed up over the phone, you could be in a spot of bother. Often, phone sellers ask you to waive the cool-off period, so as to speed up the order. If you don't waive it, then they will do nothing with your order for the 10 days. If you agreed to waive this on the phone, then you may be stuck in the contract now.

If the order was done in person and in writing, then make sure you didn't sign the waiver part of the agreement. If you did sign it, then you're probably out of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Eircom PhoneWatch are brilliant to deal with and their alarms are great. My whole family have one on each of our homes.

Anyway, you can certainly cancel your order. Full details of the terms and conditions are available on their website - http://www.phonewatch.ie/uploads/files/dir8/17_0.php

Read the document and give them a call.

In saying that, I'd recommend you get the alarm. It's a good price and a good service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Paulw wrote: »
    Eircom PhoneWatch are brilliant to deal with and their alarms are great. My whole family have one on each of our homes.

WOW , EVERYBODY :eek: What kind of area are ye in ??
    In saying that, I'd recommend you get the alarm. It's a good price and a good service.

Its a grossly overpriced piece of crap in my estimation and its very easy to get a similar box and paint a blue e on it as you can see :D

Gardai give phonewatch no priority over a call from a neighbour anyway and you get no insurance rebate for having it .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There are plenty of other companies (like ADT) who specialize in alarms, as well as Phonewatch.

There was a very aggressive door to door seller who tried to flirt with me - still no sale for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Its a grossly overpriced piece of crap in my estimation and its very easy to get a similar box and paint a blue e on it as you can see :D
    A grossly overpriced piece of crap thats useless if the intruder cuts the phoneline, which they will if they are serious, before they break in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

A grossly overpriced piece of crap thats useless if the intruder cuts the phoneline, which they will if they are serious, before they break in

Not everyone now-a-days have phone lines, many of Eircom Phonewatch customers have GSM units that work like a mobile phone - so no one can cut the line!!!!! Its 2008 tec has moved on.

My advice OP is cancel your system with the door sales guy and call eircom phonewatch directly -you will get a better offer and a better system! FACT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Red Alert wrote: »
    There was a very aggressive door to door seller who tried to flirt with me - still no sale for her!

I had that too from a guy from the same company that try flogging Phonewatch door to door. It's definitely one of their tactics!
    People beware. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Most phonelines in Ireland are now underground, so not easy to cut at all, and also some Eircome PhoneWatch use mobile GSM units, so no phone line.
    WOW , EVERYBODY :eek: What kind of area are ye in ??

We're in different parts of the country.
    Gardai give phonewatch no priority over a call from a neighbour anyway and you get no insurance rebate for having it .

I get an insurance discount for having a monitored alarm system. It will depend on your insurance policy. There are discounts for NSAI approved alarm systems and also for monitored alarm systems.

In my time having my alarm system (3 years), I've had 1 false activation (Halloween, so probably fireworks), and 1 genuine intrusion, which my neighbour and the Gardai responded to. Someone tried to break in a window, but obviously ran when the alarm went off.

There are many good alarm systems out there, and there are also some where you get what you pay for - cheap alarm systems that go off too easy, or poor quality installations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you ever need to get rid of those door to door sellers, tell them you're renting the house. Where I live I get loads of them for some reason. For anything to do with house insurance, alarms, home improvements etc. the "I'm renting this place" line is the only line guaranteed to stop the sales pitch dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Why are you having second thoughts?

Someone answer this ...

If they try tell you you can not cancel .. and you just don't pay them.. obviously it will get cancelled then?

Sure what can do actually do?

Didn't realise how old this thread was but please don't close it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

PeteK* wrote: »
    If they try tell you you can not cancel .. and you just don't pay them.. obviously it will get cancelled then?

Sure what can do actually do? [/COLOR]
    Beyond cutting of all service they provide to you, send nasty letters, debt collectors and solicitors after you? Not much but they would be with in their legal right to take you to court and good luck on trying to get any service with them with out a big deposit.

Advertisement