Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends with benefits

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all

I just have a quick question,what do people think of the hole friends with benefits thing?
    Can it be a good or bad thing?
    Its just going to college Ive always heard the topic beng mentioed in convos between friends and just wanted to see your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when it works, you cant beat but when someone starts to get feelings, thats when the problems start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

flonge wrote: »
    Hi all

I just have a quick question,what do people think of the hole friends with benefits thing?
    Can it be a good or bad thing?
    Its just going to college Ive always heard the topic beng mentioed in convos between friends and just wanted to see your thoughts on this?

I don't know depends on everyones situation! Personal at this stage of my life i couldnt do it! i think you'd get attached an jealous if you had to! I know i would.
    But few my mates have friends with benfits and suits them down to the ground, its what you want as a person!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It works for some and can be great but it's not for me personally. I did it recently for a while but I got attached and knew nothing would ever come of it. No point in getting myself hung up on him if I know it'll never be anything more than friends with benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

hole friends? Thats a disgusting way to talk about the women who service you :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I think I get too attached for this to work for me, but maybe in the future if I become more jaded I'd love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

I've nothing against it but i love the whole relationship part hugs and cuddles and lil presents and holding hands etc. :p wouldn't work for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

In this day and age you need to be careful. Apart from the attachment/heart broken issue theres no commitment in friends with benefit to be faithful and not to put too fine a point on it but you don't know where the other person has been. I think it might work out for some people it definitely wouldn't be for me but you need to look after yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

yea id kinda have d same idea as dee,
    i would be afraid of getting attached,
    some girls in college say like what harm can it do but i suppose it depends on the person.
    There are others that say its like good for filling in time while you window shop if ya get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Dee369369 wrote: »
    I've nothing against it but i love the whole relationship part hugs and cuddles and lil presents and holding hands etc. :p wouldn't work for me!

I always said i wouldnt mind a friend with 'benefits' but now i dont think i could do it without getting attached to the guy.

Plus im like Dee there, love all that relationship stuff! Nothing like a cuddle! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Well if its strictly about the sex, I think its great, but if there is feelings on either side, it's gonna get messy.
    I was in a relationship that started out like this and I dont think it was a good idea now, looking back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Nope Noooo!

I see don't see the point of one night stands, and there are times in your life when you shouldn't be emotionally involved with anyone other than yourself.

Less of the friends stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

It rarely works - I think it only works when the two people aren't all that close as friends anyway, and only bump into each other the odd time.

Between close friends somebody always ends up getting attached, thinking "why not more - the friendship is great, the sex is great - why not?" But if the other person is just "lalalala this is a handy arrangment ooooh look at that randomer, I quite fancy a bit of that..." then it will destroy the friendship.

In my experience they don't work out. I always end up feeling a bit sleazy when it's apparent they want sex with you but nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Can work out ok... can go badly wrong... better if it's talked about before than jump in the sack then try to figure it out later... that can lead to the whole getting attached thing..!!

Is good though to have someone to blow off the steam with if you're not seeing someone for a while... :p

p.s. I loved the irony of the "hole friends" for friends with benefits... us lads are so juvenile... but that one is a quality slip of the tongue...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Disco Stu wrote: »
    ... but that one is a quality slip of the tongue...!!

As was that ^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

The theory is great but I don't think it ever really works out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

litup wrote: »
    As was that ^.

That was intentional though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

A good friend has been trying the friends with benefits thing for the last 2 months.

At the start he was "I'm afraid I might like you more and want you as my girlfriend" and she was laughing and enjoying the sex, after a month she was getting extremely jealous and upset because he would sleep with other girls too, and when he moved countries she turned into a mess.

Smeh, you'll know if you have the personality for it or not - no-one else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

it works.....and it doesn't work.....

It can be a great situation, and an awkward one at the same time.... it very much depends on the people involved. and certainly works if both parties are masters of emotional detachment, but even then the whole thing gets tiresome.

If you can do it, then fair play to you, but if you cant, dont, and theres no point in pretending you're ok with something if you're not.

For me personally, it worked ok to a certain extent, but you never quite get away from the fact that you are both using each other and theres no real feelings on either side. as it progresses you just realise how empty the whole thing is and it becomes a chore.

As i get older i realise its nice to have a bit of feeling as opposed to convenience!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Agreed with Manukahoney on the feelings thing.....its not a situation I would personally seek out, although I understand why others do.

As far as it goes with me, I'd rather go without, than go there without any feelings or attachment. Just wouldn't work. Too sensitive I suppose.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I couldn't do it, I don't want to be used by anyone, and I wouldn't use anyone else. That's pretty much what I see it as. Plus I'm far too posessive to have that kind of arrangment, I'm an all or nothing girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

The fact that people are talking about people 'using' people is a sign of how weird the attitude most people in this country have about sex. If two people are in a mutually beneficial arrangement, then no-one is being 'used'.

FruitLover wrote: »
    The fact that people are talking about people 'using' people is a sign of how weird the attitude most people in this country have about sex. If two people are in a mutually beneficial arrangement, then no-one is being 'used'.

Mutually beneficial arrangement.....i.e. convenient..... i.e. (in crass terms) using each other.

That is exactly what the whole friends with benefits concept is based on.

Rosy it up with any language you want but thats how it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

It rarely works - I think it only works when the two people aren't all that close as friends anyway, and only bump into each other the odd time

Sorry...quote button coming up as a red X on my laptop.

I think it can work as long as you dont see each other too often and keep it within the framework agreed at the start. Sometimes, all you want is no strings and great sex. Either party can call it at any time if they wish and no harm done. If however you are feeling vunerable or in any way lonely, then attachments outside the rules of engagement may form and thats where the trouble starts. We are not built to be alone, but the search for the perfect partner can be a long and lonely one and the welcome interruption of short term affection can stop you making the wrong decision based on the need for companionship. Thats a big plus.

Having said that, it can be cold, calculated and self defeating if you are not in the right frame of mind and havent though it through properly. Damaging your own self esteem by trying to inflate it in the wrong way for you is not taking care of yourself properly and leaving you open to being used. Its only natrual that affection grows after a while - we're human, thats the way we roll - and the possibility of getting hurt increases.

Not for the faint hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No way could I do it. If they're a friend in the first place, then they already mean a lot to me, not to mind bringing physical intimacy into it. There is a considerable level of emotion invested in a friendship - adding supposedly no-strings sex to that makes no sense to me. I think it's an incredibly crass, cold concept - that's just my opinion though.

Any purely sexual relationships or encounters I've had were purely sexual because they pretty much involved only sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Mutually beneficial arrangement.....i.e. convenient..... i.e. (in crass terms) using each other.

Why do you say 'using'? Why not 'helping'?

Why do you use the term 'crass'? You sound like you have issues with the idea of sex purely for enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But some people (I'd hazard a guess it might be more of a female than a male thing - in general) attach emotion to sex, and that's their prerogative. It doesn't mean they have issues. They just might not be into the idea of sex without any emotion attached.

I find myself veering increasingly in that direction as I get older.

And then there are people who simply enjoy sex at a purely physical level - and that's cool too. Whatever you're into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. Been there, done that, attended his wedding a few years later and got the 'knowing' look from his wife :cool:

I don't know if it's always about one person feeling more than the other necessarily, sometimes you think 'we have a great time, WHY doesn't he want more?' without picking out curtains y'know. It's shaky ground, even without emotional attachments.

FruitLover wrote: »
    Why do you say 'using'? Why not 'helping'?

Why do you use the term 'crass'? You sound like you have issues with the idea of sex purely for enjoyment.

Ok, you are accusing the WRONG person of not enjoying sex purely for the sex sake.

Both parties are, essentially, using each other.... for sex, and for the sake of the sex( and yes, it can be enjoyable!!!)

Calling it helping??? well,i suppose you could call it helping, but then im a selfish person, so i call it using. Cos i'd never 'help' a person by sleeping with them, i'd only ever enter into the friends with benefits scenario if the sex was worthwhile.

Harsh, but true;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Well i've been there and done that before as so many of us have. It's cool, handy at the time, cures frustration and is enjoyable (as sex always should be!). Everyones a winner - so long as feelings stay out of it. However, I can see how feelings would cause a lot of trouble, and if there's a risk of that it would be best by far for both parties to forget about it.

Advertisement