Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this plausible - Double your gas mileage(Video)

Options
  • 31-07-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I just stumbled upon this page. Half way down is a video that shows how you can double the mileage you get from your car..

He does a few simple things like remove excess weight and turn off engine during idling at lights etc..

I'm not too sure about the part with the acetone..

All in all does anyone think that you too could get these results??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

techguy wrote: »
    ....I'm not too sure about the part with the acetone..

All in all does anyone think that you too could get these results??

I dare you to try it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are plenty of things you can do to save fuel and some were highlighted in that video clip. Driving style is an important factor which wasn't mentioned. And I wouldn't be inclined to use acetone......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didn't Mythbusters cover this?

There was only one of the 'gas milage' myths that worked - can't remember which one. They definitely tried acetone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

This is what you need to add to get your mpg up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KMaGepQKPU seems to be a good load of people trying to add hydrogen to there engines to improve their cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

people use boosters and such and Claim that they work, Best way to increase milage ?? strip your car, use the expensive fuel ( the high ron/octane version), worth it if you have to do a long haul...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

SIR I use the Maxol 99 Ron biofuel stuff and I get less MPG than using the texaco stuff. I get 33-37 mpg (on long journeys) using texaco and around 27mpg using the Maxol which was last weekend avg 68mph from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

crosstownk wrote: »
    There are plenty of things you can do to save fuel and some were highlighted in that video clip. Driving style is an important factor which wasn't mentioned. And I wouldn't be inclined to use acetone......

Driving style has a huge impact on fuel consumption alright, I have been experimenting over the last 2 weeks, driving gingerly, coasting to a stop, not driving up behind someone and then braking, cruise control at the speed limit etc, I have managed to double the distance I get from a tank of fuel, I drive exactly the same route every mon - fri, with a bit of weekend driving, I normally have to stick about €70 of petrol a week into her, haven't even got the fuel warning light on yet and I haven't filled her since last Monday week. The car is probably going to get upset with me for not driving it properly soon, but if I can keep it up and only push it hard when I need to, it will save me a small fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Acetone is an old trick, wouldn't be inclined to use it, can overheat or put excess strain on the engine, eventually burn out valves invalidating any warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

techguy wrote: »
    He does a few simple things like remove excess weight and turn off engine during idling at lights etc..

To be sure, most people can improve their fuel consumption through good maintenance and efficient driving. However, I can't see anyone doubling their mileage with "a few simple steps" unless their normal driving habits include
    a: carrying a roof box full of concrete blocks
    b: driving everywhere in third gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Hydrogen works yes and there are manufacturers looking at this now.

The issue is you need allot more of it than your going to produce with a jam jar and two electrodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

nialler wrote: »
    SIR I use the Maxol 99 Ron biofuel stuff and I get less MPG than using the texaco stuff. I get 33-37 mpg (on long journeys) using texaco and around 27mpg using the Maxol which was last weekend avg 68mph from start to finish.

This has nothing to do with what SIR stated. E5 has a lower calorific value than Unleaded, thats what you are seeing. It is giving equal or slightly better MPG for high performance cars (primarily with Turbos).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Matt Simis wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with what SIR stated. E5 has a lower calorific value than Unleaded, thats what you are seeing. It is giving equal or slightly better MPG for high performance cars (primarily with Turbos).

If only that were always true. Gave me 30 - 40 miles less from a full tank on the Octavia 1.8T VRs. Recommended to run that on 98 RON.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I ran my Itr and now Atr on E5 and got less mileage,on the trip computer with the Atr it shows roughly 70kmg with normal juice,using E5 it was around 55kmg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be sure, most people can improve their fuel consumption through good maintenance and efficient driving. However, I can't see anyone doubling their mileage with "a few simple steps" unless their normal driving habits include
    a: carrying a roof box full of concrete blocks
    b: driving everywhere in third gear
    To be fair, its not as hard to double your MPG when you are starting out at 17 MPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I have been trying out one of my own cost saving tips.
    I filled the jeep with diesel on monday and still have a full tank today. All I had to do was take the girlfriends car to work everyday instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have been using the Maxol E5 for a while now. When I bought the car, I did a few checks and the best I did was just over 33MPG, and a couple of other times I got 31.5 and 32MPG. I started using the E5 after this and the last time I checked I was getting 29.5MPG approx. I thought it was just my driving at the time. I must check this out on the next fill ,will try Texaco. I would like to see a poll in how many people were using E5 and if they have seen a drop in MPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I heard a guy on about this on the radio - it really worries me. If everyone in Dublin takes this approach it will not be long before the first road rage murder takes place.

Can you imagine the lenght of time muppets will take when the lights go green to...

Check the car is in neutral.
    Press the brake.
    Check your mirrors.
    Turn the key.

And so on - you get me.
    Its bad enough as it is with the huge amount of poorly trained tools we have - if everyone starts this lark, I for one will kill someone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I have been using the Maxol E5 for a while now. When I bought the car, I did a few checks and the best I did was just over 33MPG, and a couple of other times I got 31.5 and 32MPG. I started using the E5 after this and the last time I checked I was getting 29.5MPG approx. I thought it was just my driving at the time. I must check this out on the next fill ,will try Texaco. I would like to see a poll in how many people were using E5 and if they have seen a drop in MPG
    Yeah, I bought it once, can't remember exactly what MPG I got, but it was quiet a bit lower than normal, but I thought I'd give it another try anyway and perhaps I just hit a lot of traffic or something to explain the low mileage, but no, the second fill was the same, haven't bought it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Slig wrote: »
    I have been trying out one of my own cost saving tips.
    I filled the jeep with diesel on monday and still have a full tank today. All I had to do was take the girlfriends car to work everyday instead
    Haha Brilliant!

Advertisement