Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more votes from the Irish?!

Options
  • 31-07-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Ok if I missed this here I apologise.

I went to find Luke's number on the Channel 4 Big Brother website and apparently "IRISH VOTE CLOSED FOR THE REST OF BB9"

Anyone know what thats about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I take it there's been a very bg technical glitch. Just found this on the C4 website:
    Republic of Ireland Vote Update

There was a technical issue with Belinda's vote line in Republic of Ireland from the time that the vote lines opened on Tuesday 15th July at 6pm and as a result viewers in Republic of Ireland were not been able to vote for Belinda. Channel 4, in consultation with Electoral Reform Services, suspended Rex's Republic of Ireland vote line at 1pm on 16th July until the issue could be resolved.

Unfortunately it was not possible to resolve the issue and as a result anyone who voted for Rex from the Republic of Ireland from when the lines opened at 6pm on Tuesday 15th July up until his line was suspended at 1pm on Wednesday 17th July is entitled to a full refund. To claim your refund you can write to Big Brother at the address below. You will need to send a copy of a phone bill to verify the telephone number you voted from as well as your name and address and you will need to tell us how many times you voted. You will need to include a stamp on your envelope. Once your vote(s) have been verified we will send you a cheque refunding you for the votes you cast and your cost of postage.

Channel 4 Television
    Big Brother 9 Vote Refund
    124 Horseferry Road
    LONDON
    SW1P 2TX

Callers in the Republic of Ireland were not charged for any vote cast for Belinda while Belinda's line was down or for any votes cast for Rex after his line was suspended and before the lines were re-opened. Channel 4 is making no profits from this year's Big Brother vote. Any profit will be shared amongst this year's charities: PAPYRUS, Cystic Fibrosis Trust and Scope.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused to Republic of Ireland voters affected by this issue. This issue did not affect the UK vote lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Went in just now , it is not only Luke , it is everyone,
    a hitch most likely.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Ok if I missed this here I apologise.

I went to find Luke's number on the Channel 4 Big Brother website and apparently "IRISH VOTE CLOSED FOR THE REST OF BB9"

Anyone know what thats about?

Voting closes at 23:59 on Thursday 31st July 08

Regrettably Channel 4 will not be in a position to open the Republic of Ireland vote for the remainder of this series of Big Brother. Despite extensive work being done to restore the Republic of Ireland vote Channel 4 is still not confident that the issue we encountered with the Belinda v Rex vote will not occur again.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused to Republic of Ireland voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Wow thats crazy.

Dont mean to be a cynic but is this because they are aware of the way the forums are leaning towards Luke going.
    Why not do this immediately after the Belinda problem,
    Why did they not put something up last week for Becs and Mo and Darnell?
    Or maybe they are afraid that because so many are up
    it might cause problems with the Voting Lines.
    I think it is wrong to suddenly prevent viewers from voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, i'm leaning to think that this does seem to be an honest problem. With a lot of controversy from television phone-ins over the past 18 months, I honestly believe that Big Brother does have a technical problem with the Irish voting system.

And, considering we have much lesser population than the UK, and in theory les people actively voting from the ROI, I take it that Big Brother would be at loss to try and find a new service to provide for the votes for the remainder of the series. However, if this were in the UK I think the situation would be handled far more seriously.

But then again, Channel 4 is a British public broadcaster, and has no obligation to Irish viewers even though they broadcast here, either directly or indirectly depending on how you watch television. I am slightly dissapointed at C4's conclusion, but I will respect it and will have to watch the rest of the series with no imput from me.

I gave them no imput regarding voters money anyway,
    But I do think it is unfair to the people who did.
    I still think that they are very wrong in what they are doing.
    Things like this should be prevented from happening by BB in the first place.
    Dont Endemol have enough profits to put money back into making sure this type of thing does not happen?
    Or are we the Irish people who watch every day not worthy of their attention,
    I am so pi**ed off at the minuet .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I gave them no imput regarding voters money anyway,
    But I do think it is unfair to the people who did.
    I still think that they are very wrong in what they are doing.
    Things like this should be prevented from happening by BB in the first place.
    Dont Endemol have enough profits to put money back into making sure this type of thing does not happen?
    Or are we the Irish people who watch every day not worthy of their attention,
    I am so pi**ed off at the minute .:mad:
    +1.
    Questions should be asked in the Dail, perhaps you should even contact whichever European Commissioner is responsible for Reality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Irish seem to be being excluded this year. no irish housemates, no irish voting, they can't even put irish callers on the big ears programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

To be honest no irish housemate might be a blessing... Does anyone remember Scary Mary?? First one voted out!
    Not to mention that rapper guy... what was his name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lizt wrote: »
    To be honest no irish housemate might be a blessing... Does anyone remember Scary Mary?? First one voted out!
    Not to mention that rapper guy... what was his name?

Spoiral, the worlds worst rapper.

Advertisement