Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal courses.

• 31-07-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I have been accepted into a postgrad diploma in Law at DIT. I was wondering if any of you have:
    1. done the course?
    2. would recommend the course?
    3. Could recommend a different course.
    Thankee kindly.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hey all,
    I have been accepted into a postgrad diploma in Law at DIT. I was wondering if any of you have:
    1. done the course?

Friends have done it, 2/3 are now apprentice solicitors.

Depends what you want to do with it. It's as good as any other law course really, subject to considerations of the hours, fees and snob value associated with different institutions.

Kings Inns diploma, night course in griffith, I think there are some 1 year LLB conversion courses (one might even be in DIT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

I don't know of any 1 year LLB conversions. There is a 2 year one in University of Limerick.

I just completed the Postgraduate Diploma in DIT this summer. It is fairly good. It isn't particularly focused on the FE-1s but it is an excellent background in the law.

I'm doing my first round of FE-1s this October and I'm still having to study very hard for them and I'm still doing 2 courses in Independent Colleges. That isn't to say that the DIT course isn't very good.

If you want to be a solicitor I would highly recommend the course. If you know you want to be a barrister do the course in the Kings Inn.

If you don't have a clue and have two years to spare the 2 year LLB conversion in UL is a very good idea. It will give you an exemption from the 2 Year Kings Inn course if you do it whereas the DIT course will not.

Hope that helps

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I did the same course many years ago and found it excellent.

I've been a solicitor now for 8 years & doing very well thank you, if that's any kind of endorsement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Maximilian wrote: »
    I did the same course many years ago and found it excellent.

I've been a solicitor now for 8 years & doing very well thank you, if that's any kind of endorsement.
    It is a wonderful endorsement.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Hey all,
    1. done the course?
    Thankee kindly.

Hi There I have completed the BA (Ord) in Law with DIT. This was an evening course 2/3 nights a week as I work full time. I would recommend this course but really the only way i found forward is to go on to do the FE1's. I've tried on numerous occasions to move further in my career with my "Degree" but to no avail. I really don't know what the crack is with it. Its v. annoying. I woudl reccommend it but only if your going on to do FE1's that's all. I work as a legal secretary and tried to get into legal exec work but couldn't at all. Then maybe tried a different direction but the money wasn't as good so that was knocked on the head. so now its FE1 time!!! Though some people are saying I'm mad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

DIT are offering a 1yr/2yr LLB course part time this year. Its an add on to the BA (Ord) in Law that they offer part time. Closing date was the end of July and places have been awarded but it might be worth ringing the college to find out if it is still available.

Pampers - I got promoted to legal exec in my firm when I finised the BA in DIT. Its hard to make the move from legal sec to legal exec but its worth sticking at it! Hopefully something will come up, also keep your eyes open on publicjobs.ie for jobs in DPP etc! FE1's aren't the be all and end all!

Advertisement