Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You An Achievement Whore?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

For those of you that have don't have the privilege to own a 360...

'The Gamerscore(G) is a measure that corresponds to the number of Achievement points accumulated by an Xbox Live user. These Achievement points are awarded for the completion of game-specific challenges, such as beating a level or amassing a specified number of wins against other players in Xbox Live matches. Initially, retail Xbox 360 games offered up to 1,000G spread over a variable number of Achievements, while each Xbox Live Arcade title contained 12 achievements totaling 200G. These possible totals per game have been raised to 1250G and 250G, respectively, Achievements are an important selling feature for the console'

I find a lot of people are playing games just for Achievements, i know people that will play disney games or sports games to easily get Gamerscore. Its very competitive with leader boards for each country and to brag to others that you have a higher score? I personally get Achievements to fully complete a game so i don't have to go back and play the story, its like playing a game on the hard difficulty because you want to experience the game to its full.

Does anyone play games just for Achievements? And not the fun of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

To me it's the same as postcount whoring on forums. I really don't see the point. But if people get enjoyment out of it I guess that's there business.

Oh and post count +1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just a tool for people under 17 to say "hai guyz i got bigger e-peniz lolz than u. i own teh halo"

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I wouldn't buy a game to just boost my score.. but if its a game that I enjoy playing I will go out of my way to get some of the more obscure achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Xyo wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a game to just boost my score.. but if its a game that I enjoy playing I will go out of my way to get some of the more obscure achievements.

Same as me, tbh, I like the gamerpoints but I wouldn't buy every game goin just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Im am and I have a humongous E-Penis :pac:

On a side note most Whores dont like admitting they have played kids games to get cheap points and are embarrased by it. Others make excuses on how they got the points in the first place lil bro, sister, granny (Kinda like the dog ate my homework excuse) I love achievements but I would never buy a Kids game and if I hated a game so much (Im looking at you Ninja Gaiden & Blue Dragon) I wouldnt even bother completing it for achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Xyo wrote: »

Same here, and before anyone says anything, yes my sister does play games on 360, hence Golden Compass, Harry Potter etc.
    If I was getting games for achievements, I'd be getting Avatar and those old EA games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I personally get Achievements to fully complete a game so i don't have to go back and play the story, its like playing a game on the hard difficulty because you want to experience the game to its full.

EPenis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

EPenis.jpg

Yeah this is the big picture of Achievement Whores, they don't play for the fun of games anymore, they play for the "I am better than you".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I like to do some of the fun achievements though because they are literally achievements. Mile High Club was a fun one. I don't bother with the crap ones like collect 100 flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Yeah this is the big picture of Achievement Whores, they don't play for the fun of games anymore, they play for the "I am better than you".

I do it out of addiction tbh not "Im better than you". I have never thought that way.

People are addicted to CoD4 prestige levels.
    People are addicted to posting on Boards.
    People are addicted to Social Networking Sites.

Once its a healthy addiction its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

the privilege

The privilege you say....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Well I'm not connected to Live so no one can see my score but I enjoy achievements. They give an extra bit of playablitiy to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Oh and post count +1

QFT :p

In addition to getting a spammy +1 to my post count (becasue everone knows higher post count = better person in life!) I think its silly. Then again people are competitive.. but what does it show ? That you have no life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

im not an achievement whore, because i dont have xbox live, but i do beat every game 100% without cheats, regardless of the time it takes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

If the main story mode of a game is pretty short and I really enjoyed the game, I'd play to get the achievements, I consider it a way of prolonging a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

dont have a x360,but got the GoW on pc which comes with a month gold member on LIVE! something...didnt even bother it at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

well trophies have just been launched on PSN so its pretty much the same thing achievement points. Like was previously said, I wouldn't buy a game for points but if I like it, the trophy can be a nice incentive to get more life out of a game you otherwise would of got bored with.

I really don't see a problem with it. I know I used to compete with friends trying to get the highest score on the leaderboards in the local arcade. Guys tend to like to compete, whether it be post count on forums, arm wrestling, conkers, kerb ball, pogs, premiership cards... etc

Currently I'm trying to to get all the trophies for Stardust HD, the last 3 are a bastard to get but i'm enjoying it as its forcing me to get better at the game.

Well if achievements have people playing games on the hardest difficulty and the 360 is making more sales for games being bought just for achievements, thats pretty good....I like to see people play games to the full instead of finishing it on easy! :D

The PS3 has made a blatant rip-off calling them “Entitlements”, and it wont be long before the Wii does the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The PS3 has made a blatant rip-off calling them “Entitlements”, and it wont be long before the Wii does the same thing.

Microsoft has it so no one else can?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Microsoft has it so no one else can?

No they cant, We are Microsoft. Resistance is Futile. You will be Assimilated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

*cough* *cough* Mii's *cough* *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The PS3 ones are called trophies not entitlements. Steam's got it's own version too, and Blizzard are rolling out a system for their games now aswell. So I think it's fair to say they're here to stay.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure it's EA who pioneered it. I remember about 4 years ago having the likes of FIFA and Madden scanning the memory card for other EA Sports games and keeping track of your overall EA score.

I hate the whole score side of it though. Completely pointless. The achievements themselves, without an attached score, can be great though. Crackdown was by far the best implementation, because it asked you to do things that you'd never do in normal play, but turned out to be tons of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm kind of an achievement whore. I don't get pointless games (like Avator), but I check the achievements before I get the game. It hasn't stopped me from buying anything yet though! I'm not as worried about my total score as the quality of the games I get the points out of.

For some reason, I've decided that I'm gonna get 1000 points out of all the Lego games. I'm nearly finished LSW: The Complete Saga and I intend to get 100% from Lego Indy before Lego Batman comes out. I love all the franchises they've chosen, so that helps!

Cremo wrote: »

Oh yeah! I've actually heard about that, i think everyones ripping off each other! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think they are a decent way of adding a bit of challenge to the game, and extending the life span. Some of them help you explore parts of the game you wouldn't otherwise, which is a positive. But some of them are just ridiculous, while others suck the fun out of the game (see FEAR: anyone who goes out of their way to get 1000 on that has way too much time on their hands!). Good and bad thing tbh, but definitely not something to take too seriously, just a way to get more out of a game you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'm Just a whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Cremo wrote: »

BAD COUGH YOU GOT THERE CREMO. SHOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT.

run. run for your life. microsoft are after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

games like cod4 have a similar system (as mentioned) but you get practical benifits for re-playing (additional guns).

It can easy extend the playability of a game where the SP game was pretty short.
    And also gives a nice challenge to experience player who try to get all levels of guns and accessories unlocked.

and +1 for post count

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd like an Xbox. And I play games to win/finish them. I wouldn't play a game if I didn't enjoy it just to get on some leaderboard.

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote: »
    games like cod4 have a similar system (as mentioned) but you get practical benifits for re-playing (additional guns).

It can easy extend the playability of a game where the SP game was pretty short.
    And also gives a nice challenge to experience player who try to get all levels of guns and accessories unlocked.

and +1 for post count

I liked the cod4 ranking system until the second time you do it, it was a fun way of unlocking new weapons and ability's, But when you have the choice to keep going or keep the same rank and unlocked stuff, Its a hard decision!

You have to prestige 9 times to get the highest rank, I got to the second prestige and got the guns i liked and didn't bother doing the rest... Its the same with BF2, i got high enough to get the whopper sniper and assault rife then stopped playing the game. Is it really worth all the hard work for a badge?

I'm really into my FPS games, When i started playing Cod4, The higher ranked people always give the privates abuse. So i was slaughtering them and showing them that rank doesn't mean anything! :D

Advertisement