Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have a problem - H.Dip Application Query

• 31-07-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Im in my 3rd year of a science degree in ucd
    its always been in the back of my mind that I can teach with it if I dont really like the industry but with a bit of time on my hands being summer and all Ive been doing a bit of research
    found thishttp://www.pac.ie/hdip/downloads/TRC07.pdf

my degree is in pharmacology its not mentioned in the footnote, anybody know is it eligible..........panicing here:confused:

also with allowances you cant get both the allowance for having a masters and a degree right?? or can you?

somebody was saying you can for primary but not secondary, is this true?

are permanent jobs scarce?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

woop wrote: »
    Im in my 3rd year of a science degree in ucd
    its always been in the back of my mind that I can teach with it if I dont really like the industry but with a bit of time on my hands being summer and all Ive been doing a bit of research
    found thishttp://www.pac.ie/hdip/downloads/TRC07.pdf

my degree is in pharmacology its not mentioned in the footnote, anybody know is it eligible..........panicing here:confused:

also with allowances you cant get both the allowance for having a masters and a degree right?? or can you?

somebody was saying you can for primary but not secondary, is this true?

are permanent jobs scarce?

thanks for any help

Do you mean salary allowances? If you're on the honours degree allowance and you get a masters, you move up to the masters allowance. You don't get the masters and the honours degree allowance.

Permanent teaching positions aren't easy to come by, especially at secondary level. Science based jobs may be slightly easier to get in future I suspect.

To check if your degree is eligable for the H.Dip in secondary, if its not listed in the handbook, you need to ring the college you'd like to study in.

Ring first.. then panic. Panic won't really get you anywhere on this one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

woop wrote: »

Hey, don't stress about it. If you do Biochemistry or Genetics (and possibly some other options) during third year you will be eligible to teach. Look at the list of eligible degrees at the bottom of the page and make sure you have at least one of them covered. Also as was already stated, ring the H Dip people and ask them. They're your best source of information! Good luck with it!!

Advertisement