Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice in buying a new car

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just looking for a few recommendations here. Hopefully next year, after a few years of relative poverty, I'll be in a position to afford to buy a new car. I've set a budget around €25K and to be honest, I'm not huge into motors so I need a bit of advice. I don't have a family, so it doesn't necessarily have to be spacious. However, I don't want anything too frivolous either. Having had trouble previously with my second hand car, I'd ideally like to buy new or as near as. Style is obviously a major consideration, but I'd be more concerned with reliability and resale value. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't buy new (go 'as near as' if you're concerned about reliability) because the initial depreciation is a killer. Don't let trouble with one second-hand car put you off considering another. You need to give some idea of your planned usage for people to recommend something appropriate. Kia do a 7 year warranty, which can be transferred to a subsequent purchaser, so that might be something to think about? They may not be in the 'first rank', but seem to have a good reputation overall.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I always buy a year old car. New enough to be almost as good as a brand new car and onld enough to cover a whack off depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I always buy a year old car. New enough to be almost as good as a brand new car and onld enough to cover a whack off depreciation.

I tend to buy new and keep cars for 5+ years, but it's nice to know there are buyers like you out there in case I ever buy a lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, if I were you i'd go for a new Audi A3 1.4T. Base model can be got for around 26k I think. Cracking little car. Brand new engine so 125hp has plenty of poke and it is very economical, falling nicely into Band B which is e150 tax per annum.

Fizman wrote: »
    OP, if I were you i'd go for a new Audi A3 1.4T.

Bit of a girly image? Not in the Mini or anythingCC league, but for a single bloke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I dunno - the 3door version looks great imo. My mate has a 06 1.9TDI 3dr in black and it looks great, wouldn't say it is girly at all - looks quite aggresive imo.

Tauren wrote: »
    I dunno - the 3door version looks great imo. My mate has a 06 1.9TDI 3dr in black and it looks great, wouldn't say it is girly at all - looks quite aggresive imo.

The Q7 is as aggressive as a bulldog chewing a wasp, but it's all girlies driving them.

For myself, I don't care about image (drive a Kangoo!), but the OP might get fed up of people thinking he's driving the wife's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Zube wrote: »
    The Q7 is as aggressive as a bulldog chewing a wasp, but it's all girlies driving them.

For myself, I don't care about image (drive a Kangoo!), but the OP might get fed up of people thinking he's driving the wife's car.

True that a high percentage of Q7 drivers appear to be milfs doing the school run, but I can't agree that the A3 is a girly car. I always thought it had a fantastic, understated look about it, and the new 1.4 has one or two nice little touches such as double exhausts. Again, this is subtle, but it certainly appeals to me.

Oh and yes, the 3-door version is FAR nicer than the sportback which doesnt suit the A3 series at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭John Kimble

Thanks for the replies folks, would certainly consider the A3. As I said before, I'm not huge into motors so I'm not too bothered about any perceived girlie image the car may have.
    Wouldn't be averse to the new Mondeo or even the Focus. Anyone with a bit more knowledge than myself know if either is a good buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

What's your mileage?
    What proportion of that is city driving?
    Do you commute during rush hour?
    Do you gain pleasure from going fast round corners and accelerating or does your pleasure in a car come from being comfortable and listening to music?

Are you impressed by seeing people in luxury cars like bmws & Mercs?

Do you drive on country back roads?

Do you want to impress people by having a 'stylish' car? Is it women or men you want to impress? or is it just that you'd like a car that you think is stylish (if so then there's no need to ask anyone as only you know what you like)

• Advertisement

Thanks OTK for the questions, I suppose I'm being a bit vague..
    OTK wrote: »
    What's your mileage?

Driving to and from work each day at the moment, I'm doing about 40km there and back. due to the nature of my work, I'm not likely to be in the same place next year but let's say approx 13K a year.

What proportion of that is city driving? Very little.

Do you commute during rush hour? No.

Do you gain pleasure from going fast round corners and accelerating or does your pleasure in a car come from being comfortable and listening to music?

Comfort absolutely. I'm not concerned by speed whatsoever, in fact I abhor speeding and would be a fairly conservative driver.

Are you impressed by seeing people in luxury cars like bmws & Mercs?

Not at all.

Do you drive on country back roads? Quite a bit.

Do you want to impress people by having a 'stylish' car? Is it women or men you want to impress? or is it just that you'd like a car that you think is stylish (if so then there's no need to ask anyone as only you know what you like)

No, I'm not trying to impress anyone, but my current car is a bit of a shambles so I'd like to treat myself for the next one. I know what I like, but what I'm getting at is a car that strikes the right balance between style, performance and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Have a look at this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055307607

Top spec Pro Ceed has a list price of €21,500 before discount, and based on the respones on the other thread no one can find any fault with them. 7 year warranty for peace of mind but the resale value won't be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

With the emphasis on comfort, and something that feels a bit special a nearly new Citroen C5 1.6 Dynamique would be top of my list and within budget.

R.O.R, the ceed does look nice but I would be a bit concerned about resale value.

If I was a single guy with 40km of open road to drive every day and 25K to spend on a new car, I'd buy a Honda Civic 1.8. But I'm not, and I'd be less interested in comfort and more interested in performance and handling then the OP.

I still think it's a much more interesting car than the usual suspects: Golf/Focus/Astra and so on. Japanese reliability with a bit of character, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thebop

<snip>

Advertisement