Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the guys

Options
  • 01-08-2008 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Here's one for the other guys that hang out here.

Has this forum changed your views/understanding of women?

In a strange way it has mine. I always saw women as equal to men in the John Stuart Mill way, and generally treated them just like I would guys.

However, when reading some of the threads here, I realised that there are fears and issues that I never considered. For instance, I never even considered the stress that women might suffer while buying something as simple as a pregnancy test. I always considered it to be a simple thing.
    Also, before reading this forum (not that regularly tbh) if I had read the story of the nurse looking for the guy that got her pregnant in Copper's, I would mainly have wished him well, and I wouldn't really have thought about the welfare of the mother as much, or in the same light.

I amn't expressing this too well, but the question stands:
    "Has this forum changes your view or understanding of women or the issues that relate to them?"

Try and put some effort in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Not really. I've been with my girlfriend nearly six years now and while I'm still quite young in the grand scheme of things I know the vast majority of their deep dark secrets/preferences etc. at this stage and I'd like to think I can understand them (or maybe just herself) reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It hasn't changed my opinion very much, but than again I don't venture in here often maybe I should become a regular???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well I used to think that woman were irrational emotional train wreckages interested in irrelevent things like soaps, celebrities and shiny things that the magpies wouuldn't take.

After threads about which shoulder you wear your handbag on, the correct way to apply horrible looking tan on beautiful white skin, and two infractions now I know they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I was always of the opinion most women are simply mad.

This forum just confirms it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

No i can't say this forum has changed my opinion at all. Anything i have read here, i have know anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Yeah I always thought you were all mad and this has now been confirmed....

But even saying that, life would be oh so boring without the lovely ladies to play with...!! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was always of the opinion most women are simply mad.

This forum just confirms it! :D

LOL me too, i love the fact that my female friends are normal and this place completely comfirms thats that the majority of girls are completely insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well I won't deny men and women are different but surely it boils down to the individual? Yes there are some girls who post here that frankly baffle me in terms of their "interests" and "problems" (I'm not talking about liking make-up and fashion - I like those too; I'm talking about really ridiculous stuff) but there are plenty of really interesting, non trivia obsessed girls who post here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

SetantaL wrote: »
    Well I used to think that woman were irrational emotional train wreckages interested in irrelevent things like soaps, celebrities and shiny things that the magpies wouuldn't take.

After threads about which shoulder you wear your handbag on, the correct way to apply horrible looking tan on beautiful white skin, and two infractions now I know they are.

We aren't all like this! Id have no interest in the celebrity world or 'shiney things', theres alot more to life!

Anyway i think the best balance is when theres a little bit of craziness thrown in somewhere! :P

Otherwise what fun would it be! ;):D

Jemmy wrote: »
    We aren't all like this! Id have no interest in the celebrity world or 'shiney things', theres alot more to life!

Of course your not, but if we don't make sweeping generalisations the thread won't go anywhere and we'll be trying to find Miss Individual of boards.ie

then you'll all start attacking each other with some silly handbag that you whip from the correct shoulder and start a cat fight over who can change a nappy quicker..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

ntlbell wrote: »
    Of course your not, but if we don't make sweeping generalisations the thread won't go anywhere and we'll be trying to find Miss Individual of boards.ie

then you'll all start attacking each other with some silly handbag that you whip from the correct shoulder and start a cat fight over who can change a nappy quicker..

Eh chillax there!

Jemmy wrote: »
    Eh chillax there!

sorry I forgot to put in smileys for the benefit of any of the mad ones ;)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't know if I could honestly say that this forum has changed my views or understanding of women, but some of the threads I've had to moderate have traumatised me a bit and make me glad I'm not one!

I think there's an interesting balance here, especially coming from my regular hangout in BGRH where silliness prevails. Here some (not all, I hasten to add) of the non-serious threads, like the aforementioned which shoulder you should wear your bag on, astound me with their absolute pointlessness. We couldn't descend to that level of inanity in BGRH if we tried. Then, on the other hand, there are some extremely worthwhile threads full of useful information and sensible conversation. I've no idea where this is leading to, other than I have concluded that some women are barking mad, and some aren't, which is pretty much what I've always reckoned.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

+1 zaph. you make so much sense. ;)

Now, I is a gurl. I like shiny things. If they are pink, I like them more. I love make up and nice clothes, and at the tender age of 25 I am finally finding a love for shoes. I like to have my hair pretty and my nails nice too.

I like to cry at movies, and dance like a lunatic to songs that remind me of people I know. I enjoy a good book and have a varied taste in music.

I too am like the said train wreck. life does that to you. throw a brick at someone and they just might get hurt.

so long as you wake up in the morning and you can smile and give someone a hug then who cares?

us wimminz are only the best.. . . . . . EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

i rarely come in here but from what ive seen , the ladies in here are very very sweet for the most part , i just wish id met one of them at an important stage in my life instead of a cross between ally mc beal and hitlers mom who ruined my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

ChewChew wrote: »
    +1 zaph. you make so much sense. ;)

Now, I is a gurl. I like shiny things. If they are pink, I like them more. I love make up and nice clothes, and at the tender age of 25 I am finally finding a love for shoes. I like to have my hair pretty and my nails nice too.

I like to cry at movies, and dance like a lunatic to songs that remind me of people I know. I enjoy a good book and have a varied taste in music.

I too am like the said train wreck. life does that to you. throw a brick at someone and they just might get hurt.

so long as you wake up in the morning and you can smile and give someone a hug then who cares?

us wimminz are only the best.. . . . . . EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

A positive attitude is a good good quality ;)

Disco Stu wrote: »
    A positive attitude is a good good quality ;)
    I'm working on improving that :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a hard time trying to work out how i work /function never mind how the wimminz work /fuction but you pick up a few tips here and there :D

(on here ) ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

This forum scares me a little.

I've carefully avoided living with girls I've been seeing (although one did stay with me for about a week a little while ago - I was going mad by the end of it) so I've been blissfully unaware of all these women's problems I see here. Threads about UTI's and the like make me wince!

It's interesting though...

Also, I may be spending more time here since I just got banned from After Hours.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Phlann wrote: »
    Also, I may be spending more time here since I just got banned from After Hours.

/ears prick up involuntarily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I've never read any threads here so no, sorry lol :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Haha, it was for personal abuse. Stupid but he kind of deserved it.

Rules is rules though, I'm not complaining.

Phlann wrote: »
    Haha, it was for personal abuse. Stupid but he kind of deserved it.

SNAP!!! I are banned from AH for personal abuse too. hahahaa. 2 weeks I got, but the dude deserved it and he knows it. LOL.

but staying on topic. . kinda. . . you should'ny rule out living with your GF fultime just because of what you read on teh tinterweb!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Zaph wrote: »
    I have concluded that some women are barking mad, and some aren't, which is pretty much what I've always reckoned.
    Pretty much sums it up for me. Same goes for men, though being one I can kinda see the process behind the madness.

OK generalisations that I've noted over the years. Now these are generalisations and as such don't apply to all women etc.

Like was mooted in another thread, women are more or rather differently competitive with each other, especially socially. This can lead to "bitchiness" and oneup(wo)manship to a degree and nastiness I very rarely see with men. I suppose one reason is that women biologically are more socially aware(which can be misread by men as paranoia. Its not so much).

Plus men in some ways have to be more straightforward as they can damage each other far easier. I've seen women say the most vicious stuff to another woman, that if a man said it to another man, a serious violent outburst would follow. Check that one out the next time two women are having a heated snot at each other and then try to imagine two men saying the same thing to each other without fists flying.

Women are more emotionally complex or express that complexity more than men. They're also more fluid in their allegiances. Two women can have a major argument that goes right to the bone and yet a week later they're "best mates" again. Maybe that's a better way. It gets stuff out. Their loyalty to each other can be sorely tested if a guy they both like shows up. The amount of times I've seen a "best friend" of a woman make a play for that woman's bloke has surprised me. Yes it happens with men too, but much much less.

Women are far more relationship conscious. If they're single it doesn't sit as well on them as it does on men. In my experience very few women are happy with being single, except right after a failed relationship.

In relationships women put more effort into the relationship and worry more about the state of it. Men are much more of the "don't rock the boat" persuasion and can appear lazy because of it.

Women are just as sexual as men and led by their pants just as much if not more so. They just fluff it up in more romantic/emotional terms. They can stay in really unhealthy relationships because of it. If a woman mat of mine is in a bad relationship and asks me for advice, the first thing I ask is do you still fancy him. If she says yes then I know she'll go back to him 9 times outa ten, regardless of how he treats her, until she stops fancying him sexually. It's not chemistry/spark etc, it's biology. You want to screw his brains out. Nothin to be ashamed of either.:)

Women are more into things like psychics and fate and all that stuff than men. They tend to be more spiritual and religious too.

The biggest thing I've learned? Women are their own worst critics, in appearance, relationships, sexuality, motherhood, pretty much every facet of life. That can píss me off and frustrate me when seeing that.

I could do just as big a list for men.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PS that's the kinda bad side. On the good side. I think women on average are more intelligent than men. Yes there may be more male genius types but there are also more sub par men.

Women are generally more capable in social settings too. Far fewer women with asbergers type social issues.

Women while appearing more emotional are more likely in my experience to overcome emotional and life traumas that would have the average guy in a serious mess.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I came to the conclusion that there's alot of cool ladies here :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Wibbs wrote: »
    Like was mooted in another thread, women are more or rather differently competitive with each other, especially socially. This can lead to "bitchiness" and oneup(wo)manship to a degree and nastiness I very rarely see with men. I suppose one reason is that women biologically are more socially aware(which can be misread by men as paranoia. Its not so much).
    The biggest thing I've learned? Women are their own worst critics, in appearance, relationships, sexuality, motherhood, pretty much every facet of life. That can píss me off and frustrate me when seeing that.

Great post Wibbs. Just on the above two points, I think the two are very related. A friend of mine coached 2 basketball teams a few years ago, one male, one female. He said that the every guy thought that he was the next Michael Jordan & he was constantly having to bring them down a notch & tell them to practise more. With the girls team, he said they all thought they were bad-average players & he spent most of his time trying to boost their confidence.

Coincidence? I don't think so. We teach men to be go-getters & we teach women to be supporters. Throw into the mix a ridiculous amount of emphasis on womens' bodies & the mantra that you're not successful if you're not beautiful - is it any surprise that women can get catty when they feel threatened by an attractive woman?

I would also like to distance myself from the ditzy celeb-spotting, magpies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Women while appearing more emotional are more likely in my experience to overcome emotional and life traumas that would have the average guy in a serious mess.
    that is true and they also are very good at hiding their true emotions ,like the smiling happy go lucky girl sitting across laughing and joking with her mates might really be all torn and choked up inside because of a relationship/heart broken type thing but she wont show it,at least not in public or male company .

Womon are also much better liars than men ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Before actually reading this forum or boards for that fact, I purely thought that women were complete and utter arseholes (and stuck up their own holes smelling daisies) perhaps because that was the way they acted towards me so naturally i ended up acting that way towards them as well.

But having my eyes opened by this forum and boards I have slowly (still work in progress) come to see that it was just a bad bunch shielding my eyes from what's really out there and that's some really kick ass women with great personalities and intelligent minds to boot.

rock on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Plus men in some ways have to be more straightforward as they can damage each other far easier. I've seen women say the most vicious stuff to another woman, that if a man said it to another man, a serious violent outburst would follow. Check that one out the next time two women are having a heated snot at each other and then try to imagine two men saying the same thing to each other without fists flying.

Women are more emotionally complex or express that complexity more than men. They're also more fluid in their allegiances. Two women can have a major argument that goes right to the bone and yet a week later they're "best mates" again.

Can't say I agree with this, tbh. Imo women are far more vicious to one another than men. men may take it to physical violence but you can be guaranteed it'll be forgotten about in the morning. Women on the other hand, tend to use words as weapons which can have a far more lasting effect in an argument. I've seen women go at one another with a vengeance, fall out over the most ridiculous of things, and never speak again. They tend to store far more grudges than men. I'm not usually an advocator of violence but I think that sometimes if we took a similar fist approach we'd make up far quicker than we do after an insult slinging match.

Advertisement