Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - August 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blazing sun. Not exactly warm though.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Rain gone.

Sun is shining.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain gone (for the moment) total of 20.4mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

What an eventful time we have had here since my last post last evening.

At about 10.30pm (or thereabouts) I was about to update the weather conditions here when the whole house lit up - despite having some lights on! It was scary and was accompanied by horrendously loud thunder. The electricity went off and the house stayed lit up with a bright white light. I immediately made sure the plugs etc were off but forgot to unplug the phone:( The electricity came back on. Approx 45 secs later there was another flash and a massive bang inside the house. The phone line. All the neighbouring houses were plunged into darkness except ours (we are on different electricity line). There was another three flashes accompanied by thunder close by and then nothing except more rain and wind.

Interestingly, my OH had been up the fields shortly before with the dogs and commented when he came in that the wind had suddenly changed from south west to south east. I expect that had something to do with it.

The modem and connectors were damaged and still smell of burning. Luckily no one was hurt or injured. Neighbours just had power restored a short time ago.

Did anyone pick these strikes up on any radar last night? Would be interested in seeing them if possible. Very strange experience and not one I would like to repeat. The whiteness/brightness of the lightning was something none of us had seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It's been raining here pretty much non stop from 3am this morning, back garden is like a swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Sun out now (and still a few drops of rain). Much less rain here than last Saturday and no flooding in the vicinity this time!

Rains back. Think its only a shower. heavy enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The rain has given away to some short-lived albeit quite heavy showers. paddy1, what's it like where you are? i ask because a friend was just telling me it's really pouring down in Claregalway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Possibly ball lightning? That's the only thing that would stay lit for more then 3-4 seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heavy rain, very dark here at the moment.

• Advertisement

Sunny here since about 5pm

Rain total was 34.5mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

RoisinD wrote: »
    What an eventful time we have had here since my last post last evening.

At about 10.30pm (or thereabouts) I was about to update the weather conditions here when the whole house lit up - despite having some lights on! It was scary and was accompanied by horrendously loud thunder. The electricity went off and the house stayed lit up with a bright white light. I immediately made sure the plugs etc were off but forgot to unplug the phone:( The electricity came back on. Approx 45 secs later there was another flash and a massive bang inside the house. The phone line. All the neighbouring houses were plunged into darkness except ours (we are on different electricity line). There was another three flashes accompanied by thunder close by and then nothing except more rain and wind.

Interestingly, my OH had been up the fields shortly before with the dogs and commented when he came in that the wind had suddenly changed from south west to south east. I expect that had something to do with it.

The modem and connectors were damaged and still smell of burning. Luckily no one was hurt or injured. Neighbours just had power restored a short time ago.

Did anyone pick these strikes up on any radar last night? Would be interested in seeing them if possible. Very strange experience and not one I would like to repeat. The whiteness/brightness of the lightning was something none of us had seen before.

Roisin (nice name btw), do you have a station that is visible online?.
    I think you live in a meteorologically brilliant place and as such I'd very much like to see your station stats.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Blue skies and sunshine, not sure it will last.

Hasn't rained here for a good while now.

Just back from tesco and seen some pretty bad flooding. Ill try upload to weather pics later.

Mostly cloudy and feeling fairly mild out.

Supercell wrote: »
    I think you live in a meteorologically brilliant place and as such I'd very much like to see your station stats.

Sorry SC weather station is not online. Will try and get it set up over the coming months.

Rainfall today 54.9 and still raining. Winds currently gusting WSW to 44.8mph
    Temp 13.3 wind chill 7.6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heavy rain here in Newport, North Tipp at the moment. It has been like this for the last 30 mins now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That's odd - it's cold enough that my breath is visible.

Up to 82.3 now! 25.9 in the last hour alone.

I can well understand why those on holiday are leaving and going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Cloud moved in here just in time to spoil the eclipse. Managed to get a brief glimpse but not even enough time to pick up the camera.

Now a chilly 11.1C and just starting to rain again.

RoisinD wrote: »
    Up to 82.3 now! 25.9 in the last hour alone.

I can well understand why those on holiday are leaving and going home.

Awsome stuff, send that over here to Wicklow!!

I'd buy a holiday home in a place like that. then again I think buying a house because its in a totally wet place may not appeal to all..but it it does to me!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Awsome stuff, send that over here to Wicklow!!

I'd buy a holiday home in a place like that. then again I think buying a house because its in a totally wet place may not appeal to all..but it it does to me!!

:) If this weather continues we will all need boats.

Incidentally was at Doolin pier today and looking across at the cliffs as they make their way to Moher the amount of water running off the land into to the sea was unbelieveable.

Final total for today as posted on the other thread (very confusing all these threads) was 91.1. Notice the rain is making its way quickly across now not lingering as it did with us:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Graca

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A beautiful spot Roisin is in too. Know it very well. When I was down there last september I witnessed some great lightning flashes out at sea during the night which just lit up the sky, the ocean and the coastlines of Clare and SW Galway in God's great and magnificent way.

Come west Supercell, it is calling you. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Overcast, damp.

Some sun, clouding in already though.

Mike.

Sun and light showers. Forecast is grim, looks like a repeat performace is on the cards for tonight and tomorrow.

Nice bright Autumn morning 50% cloud.

Chilly with a light breeze.

Rain returns. I wonder if the boiler house flooded again.

Heavy rain has returned here.

• Advertisement

Ditto in the last 10/15. Thats it now for the next 12/18 hours.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement