Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy price differences in local shops

Options
  • 01-08-2008 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it'd be good to have a thread where people point out some crazy price differences between local (not online) shops. For what is the same product, not comparing the likes of different makes of 42" TV's as there is too much of a distinguishable difference, but comparing the exact same tv.

I'll start off with a simple pack of Linseed/Flaxseed, Linusit Gold 500gm (non organic) in Tesco, €7.30. 500gm of organic Linseed/Flaxseed in "The Art of Eating", Dun Laoghaire is €2.96:eek:

Too early to think of more at the moment but add your own findings, be interesting to see :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A) Isn't a price differnce great! We complain when there is price fixing so let's celebrate competition.

B) You are not comparing like-with-like in the linseed comparison. Quality is very important in linseed and just because one is labeled as Organic does not necessarily mean it is of a higher standard. How about comparing Linusit in Tesco with Linusit in another store in the locality. You may as well have compared L'Oréal shampoo with Lidl shampoo (because you're worthless! :D) as compare 2 completely different brands of linseed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Price differences are indeed great, once you get the cheaper one :)

I didn't know that about Linseed, but I wouldn't dismiss the cheaper one as being worse just because it's cheaper, so how could you tell? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thats the free market, the alertative is china/cuba/ussr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

cormie wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss the cheaper one as being worse just because it's cheaper, so how could you tell? :)
    Exactly! Just like you don't know it's of equal quality either. The point was: you have to compare like-with-like to give fair comparision on most goods. You yourself excluded TVs as they are not "exactly" the same, so apply that criteria to everything. I could take a full shopping trolley of goods in Tesco and other Supermarkets locally and post cheaper prices for similar goods in both Lidl and Aldi down the road but what would be the point of that? What's to be gained by posting price differences for similar goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I thought the organic linseed would have definitely been better, maybe that's what I'm just lead to believe, maybe it's true, maybe not :)

Ok, well Tesco Linwoods Goji Berries, €9.99 for 250gm, €6.99 in Dunnes I think. Same thing :P

Dr Karg 3 seeded spelt crackers, €3.50 in Select Stores, Dalkey, I think they were about €4.80 in Donnybrook Fair, Donnybrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Price differences are a good thing. I can't see the point of this thread tbh unless you want to highlight good deals. If that is the reason then this should be in bargin alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Here's my plant science degree two cents: different cultivars of linseed have different levels of oils (in particular omega 3) so vary in their health benefits. Ofc, without taking the seed through a series of tests you couldn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

People will pay dearly for "Now", If they can hold off for what they want and get it in their local supermarket chain they can get it cheaper.. No excuse. You are not forced to buying anything

Advertisement