Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright Star or Planet?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Looking for the ISS last night at around 11 pm (it turns out I missed it by about 5 minutes), but spotted a very bright star or planet approximately East, low-ish in the sky (I'm in Dublin). I would say it was the brightest thing in the sky last night, but it definitely wasnt the ISS, it was there for at least 10 minutes, until I gave up looking at it to see was it moving and headed off to bed when I realised it wasnt :rolleyes:

Anyone know what it was?

TIA
    MuppetMAn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

The attachment shows what the sky looked like at 11 last night, centred on east.
    Jupiter is the brightest thing in the area, and it's almost due south. It's fairly low in the sky at 13 degrees too so that must have been what you were seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

...need to buy myself a compass.... in all probability it was Jupiter.... brightness and height seem to match at least.

Thanks,
    Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I bet I know what you did. You looked at where the sky was still bright and said to yourself, "the sun sets in the west, so that directions west and the opposite side of the sky must be east"

The sun actually sets in the NW in Summer and the northern sky never really gets dark because the sun is only about 25 degrees below the northern horizon until it rises in the NE about 5am at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is Jupiter.

Advertisement