Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OT: Partial Solar Eclipse.

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

There's an eclipse happening this morning. Sorry for the OT post but seeing as a lot of us are generally interested in science I think and natural events it might be of interest to some.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0801/eclipse.html

don't look at the sun directly... (just have to say it) but cut a small hole in a piece of paper with a scissors or even a pin and hold the paper in front of another sheet with both sheets facing the sun. A weak image of the sun will be projected onto the backmost piece of paper so you'll be able to follow the progress that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Too overcast in Dublin city centre :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its clearing at the moment here so might notice it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

What's that thing behind the moon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

is it over has it started? I think the skies might have cleared too late. :(

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Over at this stage really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Even when the sun shows itself, it is blocked by something else.

Eclipse over and the clouds have rolled back in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

We never get the clear skies for the Solar eclipses. I've never witnessed a good one.

The Lunar eclipses are not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Too cloudy here too, didn't even notice a dip the the light levels or any drop in temperature.

There's also a partial eclipse of the moon due on the 16th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

The_Edge wrote: »
    We never get the clear skies for the Solar eclipses. I've never witnessed a good one.

The Lunar eclipses are not so bad.

We had a nice day for the last one about 18 months ago. We even had a nice day for the really good one back in 1998 when they had heaps of cloud in Cornwall.

Advertisement