Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Wireless Printer problems

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Got Eircom Broadband. I installed it successfully in 10 mins. Absolutely great to have it after waiting 2/3 years for them to install the cables in our area.

So, we have a PC desktop. I thought that it had wireless capabilities.
    When I installed Broadband, I thought it might be better to install through the USB/phone line rather than wireless as the house is quite old and thick walls etc.
    Got it working and everything was grand.

Yesterday, my mam bought a wireless printer (Hp 3 in one). Went to set it up and says that it cannot detect any printer on the wireless network.

Now, I know I didn’t install the Broadband as wireless, but there is an option on the Broadband homepage to activate the wireless capabilities (which I did half way throught the HP installation– the wireless option changed to “Active”). At this stage HP wizard said that it was going to exit the set up and uninstall everything as it had been interrupted.

So, eventually I got the wireless activated, the Network name and the password (when reinstalling the HP wizard installation asked for these again). I entered them but it keeps saying that it cannot detect a printer on the network.

Now, this might be the strangest question ever but is it possible to have active wireless on Broadband if the PC isn’t actually wireless?

I am now not 100% sure that the PC has wireless capabilities.

How can I see on the PC if it is wireless enabled?

Is there anything else that I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well you seem to be asking if you can have wireless on all the time?
    Can you tell me the make and model of your pc as this is the easiest way to find out!
    Whats operating system are you on?
    If you unplug the cable for your eircom broadband modem and try to browse the internet can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

We're using a wireless router, split at the phone line.

I dont know about the modem. How do I check this?

The PC is a black Dell Pentium 4. Its about 2/3 years old.

I would like to think I have some kind of bearing on how to do all this wireless stuff, but obviously I am going around in circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ok let me get this straight you want to see if your pc has wireless card builit in?
    If you want to check there should be an ariel on the back of your pc but a pc which is 2/3 years old wouldn't have one i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Lift the little door on the front of the PC (where you can put in a usb stick) in there you should see a sticker with the service tag of your PC, write this down and post it here as then we can tell you if the PC was sold with WiFi installed or not. The service tag is a unique identifier that Dell use to identify each PC that they make, no personal information is revealed by posting this tag number.

To answer your question re Wireless printer, yes a computer which is connected via an Ethernet cable to a wifi router/access point can connect to a wireless device (printer, camera, etc) through the wireless capabilites of the router providing the two wireless devices are associated with each other (same ssid, network key and channel)

MC

Advertisement