Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone left on roof of car

• 01-08-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

My mate just called me fairly dejected, he left his phone on the roof of his car a week ago, drove off and it got driven over.

Vodafone told him the insurnace he bought for damage doesn't cover leaving the phone on the roof or anypart of a vehicle.

I was fairly suprised, as I didn't scrutinize the terms and conditions of this insurance when I opted for it myself.

Considering what the terms and conditions might be, you would expect them to protect the insurer from fraud, that there would be an excess on a claim etc, but not the they would just not insure damage resulting from it being accidentaly left in a particular location.

Could you argue that it wasn't the fall that killed it (it was the sudden stop) but subsequently something(s) driving over it?

Anybody else had this problem or is it a well known condition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hmmm that's a tough one mate. i have never done that myself but your mate has admitted to vodafone that he left the phone on the car roof. i do not think your mate will be able to claim. but i am no expert and have never had that problem. then again...i never take our phone insurance either. i think it is a complete scam personally...but that is just my opinion and i am sure there are cases where it is handy (there...i've hopefully covered myself...lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

If the cover includes accidental damage it should be covered as it was an accident once your friend reported it properly to the insurance.

I would get on to them again and tell them they have one last chance before you go to the insurance ombudsman.

contactible here
    http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

Ask for a manager from the insurance company and then ask for their manager, show them they are not going to get away with it.

I hope he kept a copy of all claim forms and corrospondents.

Also tell them that if they do not pay out you will start a campaign to inform people of the failings of the insurace provided by them.

That ought to get them motivated to sort out your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It may be the case that the agent he was speaking to did not record the details of the claim so he could try again but this time it might have fallen into the sea or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The car's insurnce should cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It may be the case that the agent he was speaking to did not record the details of the claim so he could try again but this time it might have fallen into the sea or something.

whats that insurance fraud hotline number... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

The car's insurnce should cover it.

:O I cant see that happening it was on top of it.

skapegoat wrote: »
    If the cover includes accidental damage it should be covered as it was an accident once your friend reported it properly to the insurance.

I would get on to them again and tell them they have one last chance before you go to the insurance ombudsman.

contactible here
    http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

Ask for a manager from the insurance company and then ask for their manager, show them they are not going to get away with it.

I hope he kept a copy of all claim forms and corrospondents.

Also tell them that if they do not pay out you will start a campaign to inform people of the failings of the insurace provided by them.

That ought to get them motivated to sort out your claim.

They say its in the terms and conditions that if you put a phone on top of car and drive off your not covered. Seems a real scam though why that particular way of ending up damaged when it is supposed to be damage insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jackz wrote: »
    :O I cant see that happening it was on top of it.
    Who's to know it was on top. you were driving around, Sunny day with your phone on the dash, took a sharp left and it went out the window. Easy as!

Who's to know it was on top. you were driving around, Sunny day with your phone on the dash, took a sharp left and it went out the window. Easy as!

Ah well eh I was just wondering about other people who have encountered this or their opinion, if he were so inclined to tell them something other than the truth it's too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

moral of the story is read the t&cs before you make a claim. Insurance companies have whole departments devoted to finding ways of wangling out of paying out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would wearing it around your neck on a lanyard not be a better thing to do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There's accidental damage and there's also negligence, I would have said leaving anything on a car rood and driving off is just negligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

"fell from your pocket and was driven over!" always covered under insurance:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only ever tell the Insurance company what they need to hear, no need for them to know the details ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Always read the small print.

Why on earth would you put your mobile on the roof of the car. Or anything for that matter, because odds are you'll forget about it. I saw someone get into a car with a baby seat on a car roof one day. (no baby in it) and had to wave at the driver to remind him. How is that easier than putting it on the ground at the door? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

some one robbied my pride and joy n96 last night, can the insurance/vodafone block it from being used with another sim??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They can more than likely black list it. Handset dead to all.

MC

Advertisement