Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this even handed?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Any time recently that I've made a post on the motors forum, especially involving BMW, Victor_m jumps in with some sort of "you're nothing but a fanboi" against me, which frankly I'm fed up of. This thread is the 2nd thread in recent days that he jumps in as if I've insulted his mother. I'm getting a bit fed up of it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055346250

Anyhow I imply that he's stalking me, and must be gay. Maybe he actually is gay, I don't know. But this is reoccurring behaviour from him, and I felt I'd have a witty jibe back before I put him on the Ignore list.

peasant, who has had a problem with me since he started modding, and has been unable to hide it as I get "warnings" from him much more that I do from the other two (maybe once each since I registered in 2003, and both of which I'm sure I deserved) decided to seize the opportunity to ban me from the motors forum for a week, as I have been

a) making abrasive posts - yes, I'm sure I do. Anyone who calls anyone else a finaboi (among other things) is making an abrasive post, and I'm sure I called someone a fanboi etc. As did half of the rest of the motors forum.

b) borderline trolling - I think he warned me once about this, I'm not sure what this is but it's not an offence. If it was trolling then it would be...

.. and now the final insult, implying in a witty fashion that victor_m was gay because of his obsession with me.

On the rest of that thread (before Victor_m arrived) I offered sound opinion, and nothing but facts, as thanked by Ferris, the OP.

Anyhow I expect this to fall on deaf ears as the mods circle the wagons when one of their own is being criticised, but I feel that peasant's behaviour was not even handed, is not even handed, and as long as I am around will not be even handed as he cannot hide his grudge against me. I feel that kbannon and unkle have defined motors moderation, and peasant is a bit of a loose canon.

Anyway, as I said, I expect no support in here for my argument, but there will be record of my complaint.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

JHMEG wrote: »
    Any time recently that I've made a post on the motors forum, especially involving BMW, Victor_m jumps in with some sort of "you're nothing but a fanboi" against me, which frankly I'm fed up of.

Did you report his comments?
    Anyhow I imply that he's stalking me, and must be gay. Maybe he actually is gay, I don't know.

So instead of reporting his post and leaving it at that, you decide to throw a childish jibe at him.
    and I felt I'd have a witty jibe back before I put him on the Ignore list.

Calling someone gay is so far from not being witty and would be considered a bannable offence.
    peasant, who has had a problem with me since he started modding

Well, I'd have to see examples of what you mean by that, can you provide me links?
    and has been unable to hide it as I get "warnings" from him much more that I do from the other two

Perhaps you deserved them?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you dont do yourself favors by defaming another posters - painting them as being gay. In fact its a serious issue and could result in a ban afaik. you walk on thin ice sir, behave. Youve already been banned from motoring for it and now you want to repeat it in Feedback?

edit: yeah thats what I done caught, Ber

Having just seen this, your ban was 100% deserved and you don't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Maybe I'm missing something ... what do you mean by handed?!

and abrasive posts?!

so he called you a - what, Honda fanboy? And you responded with a CHIPs pick telling him he's gay. That doesn't seem, you know, stupid to you?

*ready the longcat!*

but if you want to argue peasant's modding abilities (first ive heard of him), and Victor_M's supposed stalking there will have to be some links provided.

even if he does have a bias on you, he was well within his rights to ban you for that picture. And a week is pretty damn fair, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

OP, I think you know yourself what type of response you're going to get.

But I think you have a point. For all the use that is to you, though :P

tallaght01 wrote: »
    OP, I think you know yourself what type of response you're going to get.

If he has a valid argument, then it will be dealt with.
    But I think you have a point.

Can you expand on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ban seems justified in fairness, though Victor_M does appear a little overly concerned with JHMEG and his opinions in particular, he also refers to him in a fairly insulting manner prior to any hostilities.
    victor m wrote:
    Bottom line OP, the fanboy(s) (well only one really, thanks for showing up, again! Jhmeg) are out in full force

He seemed suspiciously desperate to discredit JHMEG's opinion, even going so far as to pick on a humorous comment regarding early engine troubles as if it were a full thesis.

Example, this:
    JHMEG wrote:
    Can't find anything about weight in the wikipedia M54 page, but this made me smile!

The S54 used to be known as the Engine of Damocles because of the tendency of early production M3s to explode spectacularly at elevated engine speeds.

Responded to with:
    Victor_m wrote:
    Hilariously you pick and choose (as usual) out of context quotes and examples to reinforce your bias. eg you forgot to quote this

"The S54 won the International Engine of the Year award overall for 2001, and also claimed the "Best New Engine" that year as well as won the 3-4 L category for six straight years in a row from 2001 through 2006 - so far. The S54 was also on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2002 through 2004."

Anyhoo, the op needs to test both and decide whether he wants a more relaxed civilised motoring experience with plenty of horses and torque or a high revving needs to be pushed all the time to get anything out of it high power low torque experience.

As I mentioned earlier I had a good run in the S2000 a few weeks ago and although it's not for me it was fun for a short while, but at the end of the day it's a bit like those new golf 1.4 GT's knocking around they are ringing a small CC'd 4 pot engine to within an inch of it's life to get the performance out of it, and that is not for everyone.

By the way, Clarksons main defence of the S in that clip Jhmeg* linked was the €7.5 price difference which is no longer the case, as they seem to be in or around the same price the only thing left really was the slightly faster roof.

*the patron saint of Honda

And then, without any response from JHMEG:
    Victor_m wrote:
    I only chose that example to offset Jhmegs selectivity, couldn't really care about those awards TBH, sure the fiat panda won loads!

Bottom line OP, the fanboy(s) (well only one really, thanks for showing up, again! Jhmeg) are out in full force, drive both yourself and let us know what you think, either way you are choosing between 2 great cars.

I think it's pretty clear that even if JHMEG got the only deserved ban, Victor_m needs to be told to cop on himself.

At the very least, Victor_m should have been infracted for some of those comments.
    I have checked and he hasn't.
    I would suggest to the Mod of Motors to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As a regular on the Motors forum I was surprised to see the OP on Feedback and indeed banned.

Having looked through the thread in question its clear that the ban is justified on the basis of his personal post to Victor_M, even if it is the case of just having enough from a particular poster. I am afraid OP walked into that himself, let emotions rule his head.

I cannot however see anything that would come close to abrasive posts or "borderline" trolling in that thread.

If anything, Victor_M's needling comments could be "borderline" trolling

• Advertisement

I have to agree Victor_M is doing some baiting/sniping when you look at it like that. Unfortunate that you gave into it OP but thats your own mistake.

Riskymove wrote: »
    If anything, Victor_M's needling comments could be "borderline" trolling

IMO he certainly was making comments to get a rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From experience in Soccer, I have absolutely zero sympathy for people who respond to a troll's bait.

We aren't children here people.

Either put the protagonist on ignore, or report their posts.

It really IS that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Beruthiel wrote: »
    At the very least, Victor_m should have been infracted for some of those comments.
    I have checked and he hasn't.
    I would suggest to the Mod of Motors to do so.

I will take that on board and have another look at the comments and infract as appropriate.

Very busy in work today, so it may not be instant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Anyhow I expect this to fall on deaf ears as the mods circle the wagons when one of their own is being criticised, but I feel that peasant's behaviour was not even handed, is not even handed, and as long as I am around will not be even handed as he cannot hide his grudge against me. I feel that kbannon and unkle have defined motors moderation, and peasant is a bit of a loose canon.

The ban was well deserved - you of all people should know that blatant insults are dealt with severely in motors. I very much doubt kb or unkel would have reacted any differently. If you believe he has a grudge then post up some links for all to see.

Maybe the reason you see more warnings from him is that he puts a lot of effort into the job and is around a lot more.

IMO Peasant does an excellent job in motors and has, in most cases, been very fair and unbiased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Having read the thread, I would expect Victor M to be given a heavy infraction for his personal attack on JHMEG.

Sorry JHMEG, the ban seems justified, but I'll agree that Victor M needs to cop on as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I PM'd peasant after I discovered I had been banned:
    JHMEG wrote:
    If you were a fair and balanced mod Victor_M would have at least been warned. But no, it's ok for him to jump down my neck after every post I make.

This was his reply:
    peasant wrote:
    Just had another look at the thread and Victor M's posts in particular and I can't find any offences in there that would warrant a ban or an infraction ...so he isn't getting one.

He wasn't the one resorting to personal insults and calling you a Honda fanboy hardly isn't an insult now ..it's true, you behave like one.

Take the weeks break to reflect on your posting style.

You could be a valuable contributor to this forum if you just stopped rubbing people the wrong way all the time.

As I said I don't expect any real sympathy in here, tho (EDIT) if the post is an insult I don't understand why it remains there. I'd remove it myself, if I could.

kbannon once felt I insulted another poster a year ago or so, removed my post, and replaced it something like "I've removed your post, you may want to have a think about it again". That to me was fair.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I went back to look at the OP to see how long the ban was for, thinking that it should be a month maybe a fortnight and anything more would be excessive.... A Week?!?:eek:

I think you should quit while you are ahead.

DeV.

In the interest of fairness I've had another look at the thread and Victor_M's posts.

JHMEG DOES have a point, Victor_M infracted for his cheap digs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56758947#post56758947

JHMEG
    I presume you asked for peasant's permission before posting up that PM?

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    JHMEG
    I presume you asked for peasant's permission before posting up that PM?

No he didn't ...but I don't have a problem with it in this instance.

I would prefer it though if he did ask in the future

EDIT: and just to have the complete story, here is the other half of that PM that he DIDN'T quote
    Take the weeks break to reflect on your posting style.

You could be a valuable contributor to this forum if you just stopped rubbing people the wrong way all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All's well that ends well, I think.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Posting PM's without permission is a bit of a no no.

Selectively quoting from them should be a lynching offence!

Bold!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I posted only what I felt was relevant, but at risk of being accused of trying to twist things I've posted the complete PM. :)

To clarify I posted those two lines as they were the two that I had a problem with.
    I can't find any offences in there that would warrant a ban or an infraction ...so he isn't getting one.
    is a fob off, as after reading it a third time (only after people here have commented) peasant suddenly does see a problem.

and that:
    calling you a Honda fanboy hardly isn't an insult now ..it's true, you behave like one.
    says that what Victor_M did is ok, as I am an fanboy and it's ok to throw that at me at any time. Victor_M's started trolling after I quoted wikipedia about BMW engines, which Ferris referred me to. It has nothing to do with Honda.

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it at that, as thanks to the rest of you I feel some justice was done here. :)

Have a good weekend!

... after reading it a third time (only after people here have commented) peasant suddenly does see a problem.

Well ...that's what feedback is (supposed to be) for.

This issue has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
    B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement