Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent cycle route from Galway city

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in Galway tonight and tomorrow and then Sligo (20 minutes from Boyle) on Sunday and plan on bringing my bike in the car so I can get a spin in to keep my rehab ticking over.

I reckon a 60km spin would be perfect - anyone have any suggestions on a mild to moderately challenging route to take from Galway city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I'm going to be in Galway tonight and tomorrow and then Sligo (20 minutes from Boyle) on Sunday and plan on bringing my bike in the car so I can get a spin in to keep my rehab ticking over.

I reckon a 60km spin would be perfect - anyone have any suggestions on a mild to moderately challenging route to take from Galway city?

I used to go out the coast road to Spiddal, over the hill to Moycullen and back in . I think it's only 40km though, and on busy-ish roads. A bit Paris-Roubaix on the Spiddal-Moycullen road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

That would be my favourite training route as well. I used to do it in reverse though, out to Moycullen first. I hate that bloody hill when you turn left at the White Gables Restaurant in Moycullen, takes all the energy out of ya straight away. I suppose doing it the other way though means you get to speed down it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

That would be my favourite training route as well. I used to do it in reverse though, out to Moycullen first. I hate that bloody hill when you turn left at the White Gables Restaurant in Moycullen, takes all the energy out of ya straight away. I suppose doing it the other way though means you get to speed down it!

I like to do in reverse as well, its more challenging heading out to Moycullen and then up the hill. Although cycling in from Spideal can be a headache if the wind is against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Cheers lads - that's the kind of neck of the woods I was thinking of. I know that hill in Moycullen too so I'll have a look and see if I can plot a route on mapmyrides.com and then import it onto my Garmin device to be sure I include it and manage not to get lost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Fion_McCool

The last 2.2 km into Moycullen are narrow, twisty, dangerous and busy.

This bit of road is a bloody disgrace for an arterial route into the third biggest city in Ireland. Good luck on that bit.

If the wind is from the south-west (most usual) the Moycullen Spiddal leg is more challenging, particularly if you have to cope with horizontal rain ! ;-))

Hope you have a good spin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks, had a good 47km spin heading out to Spiddal first and then Moycullen. It took 1hour 46 minutes with an avg speed of 26.6km/h which I was happy enough with given I was cycling into a strong wind out to Spiddal. Though I had the wind at my back heading from Spiddal to Moycullen so I got the benefit of that. My Garmin shows me it was a total ascent of 407m and total descent of 428m so it was mild enough but was an interesting route.

When I came down the hill towards the crossroads in Moycullen I realised I just had to double back and give that hill a shot. I totally faded on it though - the 1.5km with 76m ascent took me 6:49mins which was dire but it's the first shot at a decent hill I've had in a couple of months - it can only get better from here!

Advertisement