Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to going(back) to college???

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi All,

Most of us that have applied to return to college as mature students, or starting for the first time as mature students, have received the good news *hopefully* that you have been accepted... So are people excited/nervous/dreading it/looking forward???

I have already completed an undergraduate degree in Computers, and am going back doing primary teaching undergraduate. It'll be a bit of a culture shock going back, and not having the money i've been used to for the last two years, but I'm genuinely excited, and happy that I feel I've finally made the right choice in career!

Any thoughts???

Pa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ramones

Hi,

I've been offered a place pending my getting a C3 in the LC Irish back in June - roll on the 13th.

I'm 38, married with 3 kids so it will be a huge change for us but I honestly can't wait for it to start. The difference this time around is that I WANT to be there and I have a real goal at the end of the course. 20 years ago I was party time and I did just enough to get over the finish line.

I guess unlike my father I'm lucky to have the opportunity to revise where I am in life and I intend to grab it with both hands.

Best of luck

CB

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cals

Hi,
    I haven't posted on boards before. I was lookimg forward to going to college but now I'm confused. I'm a 37 yr old mature student and was offered early childhood education in DIT a few weeks ago. And then this morning I checked round zero of the CAO offers and I've been offered my first choice which was Education and Training in DCU. Does anyone know anyone who's done this course. I'm thinking that maybe academically it might be more difficult than early childhood ed. I've worked with both adults and children and enjoy both. I'm really not sure which course to do now. Anyone any advice - I only have till the 8th to make up my mind - and decisions don't come easy to me! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm so excited you wouldnt believe it! I did an undergrad a few years back but now going back to do a two year full time masters..big commitment, but get butterflies at the thought of starting.how sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm so excited you wouldnt believe it! I did an undergrad a few years back but now going back to do a two year full time masters..big commitment, but get butterflies at the thought of starting.how sad.

Graduated 2 years ago, now going back to do a full-time MA for 2 whole years. Like you, I'm getting nervous as it's getting closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Issac Hunt

Im excited/scared to death! lol

was freakin out a bit the last 2 weeks cus it looks like i wont get the maintenance grant and i thought i was gonna have to get a loan of a crap load of money from the credit union. But huzzah for studentfinance.ie :D

Turns out I'm eligable for free fee's after all. More than likely i'll still need to get a loan for the non-tuition fee's and student levy, not to mention rent deposit etc but alot less of a loan than i thought. Phew!

Also, the Student assistence fund(?) is a god send. The damn catch 22 of not having a job in order to avail of grants and need a job to pay for rent is a kick in balls. As i have said to a previous poster in this thread (Hi LadyPennyworth 00009148.gif )

I've recently turned 25 and have been living at home for the past 4 years so it will be sooooo good to get back out on my own again! Just need that last piece of the financial puzzle to fall into place and i can relax before I start freaking out about the course work lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

This will be my third:eek: try going back to college, and hopefully my last. I'm almost postive I have found what I want to do now. I'm still waiting to hear if I get the grant, when I find out I will start to get excited!!!! Also I'm gettting braces the week before college is due to start, so hopefully I wont look so out of place among all the spring chickens¬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm very much looking forward to getting started as well. Just a little over five weeks, and counting...

I got a cert. from GMIT ten years ago as a mature student, and now, at the ripe young age of thirty six, am heading into first year Astrophys in NUIG. (Would be nice to turn forty with a degree.) I did the foundation course in maths and science in NUIG last year and found the maths, especially, to be a great preparation for next year (fantastic maths lecturer from GMIT, some of you might know her), although I fully expect the work load to be amplified greatly compared to last year.

I'm excited about starting, and not at all nervous. All of the preparations, red-tape and bureaucracy involved in starting college are very stressfull though, I'll be a lot less stressed in three or four weeks when I finally hear word one way or another on grant/BTEA applications.

Best of luck to us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

Im scared ****less! all that studying. dont know if il be able to keep the information locked inside. scary scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

Have to admit that the decision to go back to college has been a masive one for me....the biggest thing is giving up a well paid job in the construction end of things, the fallout being that if the whole college thing doesn't work out Im pretty much up the creak without a paddle:eek: ...as now is not the time to be packing in on the sites....but thats the extreme end of things. On the other side, the course that Ive picked, Im really interested in so thats whats kinda driving me on...
    How has anyone else felt about going back and being in a class with students who are quite abit younger than yourselves...Im 30....just looking to settle my mind :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I'm 36 and in september i'll be going in to third year of a computing and networking degree. When i started first year, i was very nervous (especially about standing out like a sore thumb). Then again so was everybody else. There are actually a lot of mature students in college these days and i made loads of friends of all ages... So dont worry, enjoy the challenge and think of the rewards when its all over.

• Advertisement

good to hear and thanks for the reasurance...the whole college thing is brand new to me! Im sure it'll be grand once Ive started

As mentioned earlier I'm 38 and needed a C3 today for Primary Teaching.

Studied the Irish syllabus since this time last year and came out today with a C1 :D

Can't wait to start in September

Congrats Ramones, well done!
    Good luck with the teaching course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Oh my gollygosh I'm sooo nervous/excited!! I'm soon to be 27 & going to be doing a Science degree at UCD.

Just waiting to hear from them if I qualify for free fees (I did a higher cert a few years ago) cause if I don't my dreams will be up in smoke :(

Was never very good at maths so nervous on that front, but my cousin offered a pearl of wisdom on the study side (he is a physics wizz)....

Learning (in my case maths) is like throwing ****e at a wall....eventually some of it will stick :rolleyes:

Good luck to all going back & get throwing :D

I'm back on here again, a week later, the excitment is mounting (am I really sad?!) I can't really remember what I was like when I went into my undergrad, but I guess it was just a natural progression from the LC.

I reckon we should have a boardsie meet up of all the mature students in Septmber (unfortunetly just NUIG in this case) so we can all sit down and be mature nerds:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

I too am ridiculously excited, and I only left college 2 years ago!

Makes me smile at strangers in the street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

This will be my third:eek: try going back to college, and hopefully my last. I'm almost postive I have found what I want to do now. I'm still waiting to hear if I get the grant, when I find out I will start to get excited!!!! Also I'm gettting braces the week before college is due to start, so hopefully I wont look so out of place among all the spring chickens¬

lol... getting braces to fit in. I'm 25 and still get asked for ID so i should fit in just right.... might have to change my clothes a bit... get some studenty lookin ones!

'Return to learning seminar' for matures starting in NUIG on the 1st. Runs for four days. I guess I'll attend it. It'll be a good way to meet other mature students outside of my chosen course. It pushes the start date forward by a couple of weeks - two weeks to go!
    I reckon we should have a boardsie meet up of all the mature students in Septmber (unfortunetly just NUIG in this case) so we can all sit down and be mature nerds:)

Great idea. Any other matures here for NUIG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Yay for going back to college, Nay for beauracracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hello everyone

I am 41 (oh dear sweet god!) There! I said it. Anyway, now that that's out of the way, here's my story.

I spent the last 4 years doing a degree in computing (software) at IT Sligo. Prior to going to college, I did their summer school (2 weeks in August 2004) designed to get matures re-accustomed to attending school. So I went in with a group of other matures none of whom were studying my course.

When I started 1st year I was a little apprehensive but after a few days I was making friends in the class. I found it very easy to make friends with some of my own class mates who were 18-19 years old and actually making friends with people that age is good for ya - it keeps you young and on your toes. Of course I also had some mature friends from the summer school but these friendships fizzled out as we were all on different courses.

After first year, I did well in my exams and immediately relaxed and got rid of all my fears about returning to education. I realized that I was well able for this game and that I was actually thriving at it and thoroughly enjoying it. I got my degree last year with distinction and got my 1st class honours degree this year. Not to mention that in the mean time I won the Imagine cup with my 4th year project, learned to scuba dive with the college scuba club, spent the summer of 2006 living and working in Alaska on a J1 student visa and made some great friends.

I made a promise to myself in 1st year that I would try and achieve a Masters degree. So after window shopping for courses at various HEI's round the country all summer, I applied for the Masters in Information technology at NUIG. Got accepted a few weeks ago, now have my bedsit setup and will be leaving Sligo over the next two weeks to start yet another new life in Galway.

As soon as I got my degree, doors started to open. I am headed to Canada hopefully in about three years time to live - the point is it's now a real option because I have qualifications. I also noticed during the summer that after putting my CV on Monster.ie, I was in demand with employers and recruitment agents.

It's a fantastic world out there, I want to do as much as I can and immerse myself in it because I realize that my life is very short. Education is a key, it’s not the only key but it's certainly my key. I got back into it by accident, never thought I'd ever see myself with a degree especially since I was bloody awful at school having failed my leaving cert (think I got 2 d's) years ago.

So, there is my story so far. I am very excited to be starting back at NUIG. What a beautiful campus, and a great city. And I see they too have a scuba club, and the new gym with a great swimming pool, and some nice restaurants and cafe's and it's all in the heart of this great city. Does it get any better ?

• Advertisement

KStaford, thats great to hear and congrats on achieving such a great degree!

I,m starting college for the first time at 31 and nervous/excited about it. When I've said to people that I'm going to college I've gotten some wide eyed looks. but to hear about your success re-installs my belief that I'm making the right decision:)

Congrats on your respective courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Firtstly I'm delighted that this thread has taken off!

Well done to all who have been offered a place, and good luck with all your studies and extra curricular activities over the next year ;)

I'm in "counting the days" mode at this stage in work, and can't wait for the challange of going back. I'm only out two years, so hopefully I'll get back on the horse easily enough. Next up, trying to get on to the Grad Dip for Ed!

Here's hoping... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I'm starting to panic now.. I finish up in work on the 29th. I'm 3/4 years out of college. I'm going into year 4 of a course in a different college and i'm worried what i covered in college i've forgotten or that I have covered different stuff! I'm also concerned about money as I still haven't got the grant sorted out yet!

You still have 8 more days so don't worry..all of us are panicing at some stage, esp having gone from years of full time work and the weekly wage, you will get thru it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Oh God, I'm the oldest one here I think. (45).
    Left school at 16, haven't set foot in a classroom since and, miracle of miracles, I've just been offered an MA course in WIT.
    I'm nervous, excited, anxious and I CAN'T WAIT to get started.
    Good luck to everyone. :)

Fair Play to ya Deise. Get stuck in girl!

I wish my course was starting next week and not 3 weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Taylieboo

I'm 32 going back to college in 3 weeks after working for 12 years.
    So exciting i just want to tell everybody that i meet:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

well done to everyone on here. You are all doing a great thing with your lives.
    My advice to you all is to embrace the experience, join clubs and socs, get to know and become friends with your younger class mates and just go for it. Its brilllllllliant !!!

One academic tip I would also give you is this . . .
    when you are given assignments, start work on them early. Don't let them build up til the last minute. Keep your work rate steady (don't peak and trough). It makes your life so much easier and you will score higher.

And remember, studying as a mature is easier than when you were younger. You are there cos you want to be, and because you made the decision. You will find that learning is not the chore that you remembered it to be. Just do a bit of work, when you come home at night, put asisde an hour or two for your schoolwork and I promise you - you will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dentalphobe

:)AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I'm so feckin excited i could burst! I was really nervous but now i'm just bouncing off the walls! Yey!!!

& seriuosly, well done to everyone here for going for it & thanks for all the good advice.

:)AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    HHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Advertisement