Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to going(back) to college???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Nearly there :) Can't wait! Finished work Friday!!! WOHOOOO!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

me too! i'm counting down the hours to my last day in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Hi,
    I'm a 3rd year mature student, married, 3 small kids, 2 dogs, mortgage, car loans, the whole package. It can get tough sometimes with projects due, pain in the ass lecturers, job and family commitments pulling you in 10 different ways, sometimes you just want to quit it all and just get a "fcuking job", but these feelings will all pass. Once you hand up that assignment or finish that exam then it is all good. It is a great feeling getting a good mark in a really hard subject, especially when all the 19 year olds are scraping 40's and you are knocking out 70's and 80's.
    Just go in everyday, go to all your lectures, keep nice neat notes (very important), ask every question that pops into your head, dont be embarrased to speak up infront of the kids, they are even more lost than you.
    If you are in a semesterised system you are lucky and unlucky. Lucky becuase your exams are only based on 3 months work, there is only so much they can cover in 3 months and it is all fresh in your mind, unlucky becuase they try to cram way too much into 3 months and to miss a day or 2 can be disasterous, I missed a whole exam question in 2 days.
    As for studying, I passed all my exams with mostly very goor results from doing 2 hard days studying before each exam. Some subjects take a bit more ongoing work but most of them can be covered in this time, it is tough going, 8 hour days sitting in a room in college, 2 days in a row but it worked for me.
    So many times I wanted to quit, so many times I came home depressed, so much time worrying about deadlines and extensions and pain in the ass lecturers (yes, I have a pain in the ass lecturer), but I am so glad I have stuck with it and at the end of this year hopefully I will have a good job and then my family can reap the rewards of the sacrifices they have all made so far.
    I owe it all to my wife who has given up all her wages for the last 2 years to support me and allow me to do this. It keeps me going through the hard times thinking of all the presents I am going to buy for her and my kids when I am qualified, you have to have a dream.
    Good luck with it all, you have made the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Taylieboo

Like you motherfunker, I have 3 children, husband, mortgage etc... but they are exactly the reason i am going back to college to make a better life for us in the long run. Well done to you by the way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Just registered my modules this morning (going to ucd) & now it all seems real & very very close :D

Im all nervous & excited at the same time :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moonbeam9999

deise-lady wrote: »
    Oh God, I'm the oldest one here I think. (45).
    Left school at 16, haven't set foot in a classroom since and, miracle of miracles, I've just been offered an MA course in WIT.
    I'm nervous, excited, anxious and I CAN'T WAIT to get started.
    Good luck to everyone. :)

Hi denise-lady,just browsing ,you are an inspiration,fair play,my mum who is 43 is also returning to third level, she does,however,find it annoying that there is not much funding,well for part time anyway.I am heading to ul next week and my dad works away,so Im glad she is doing something,I can see the tears,Im an only child.Best of luck with your course and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Im 25, just got accepted to a course in digital media - im really excited as i dropped out of my 4th year in an hons degree in computer science because i realised i wasnt enjoying it at all and that the course was going nowhere for me! Prior to that i completed a 2 year nat cert in computing to get into the degree course.

I think i've hit the nail on the head now with what i want to do.. but at the same time i feel like i've been wasting away. This will be my 7th consecutive year in college. When i walk away with an hons degree it will be 10 years of college! I feel like such a waster, but then again on my interview i put forward a portfolio that knocked the socks off of them, i just know im gonna walk this course. So many things to look forward to, so many things im worried about!!

Good luck and fair play to everyone whos going(back) to college this year! For me im going in all guns blazing, gonna nail this course, im there for business!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Very excited.
    For last year, school of hard knocks (grrrr, DSFA)
    Will be doing HR @ NCI @ IFSC, should be enlightening.
    Paid fee today (hope to get it refunded via grant in time...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Starting tomorrow! Here goes nothing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moonbeam9999

Starting tomorrow! Here goes nothing:)

now thats no attitude to have,you are already expecting to fail,change the attitude,re-write that message with possitive affirmation.You should be very proud as should all the others.
    Well done to all,gud luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Need some advice please.
    I start my MA tomorrow - Haven't been in the education system since I was 16.
    I have no CLUE what to wear tomorrow! Do I wear jeans? Should I dress smartly. HELP :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

What are you wearing now? That will do... unless you use your computer somewhat naked.. that wont do.. or will it? (ill get me coat)

Wear what ever you want! Its not a fashon show! although i've booked myself in for a hair did on friday, well over due - this is my excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

hair do? A HAIR DO????!!!!

now why didn't I think of that.

Advertisement