Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Lunch in Waterford City

• 30-07-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

just wondering if the city is saturated with cafe's. full irish all day long, mix grill also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

If it was like it was in the days of old where it was open all night then yes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

Was sizzlers ever that good??? I hadn't eaten there in years before they closed a few years ago....before reopening again.

As an aside, where would you think the best full Irish can be found??? I'm always on the lookout;)
    I usually just go to the kylemore and order any combination I feel like that day but the quality of the ingredients is poor and really cheap. I'd love to find a place that did a really high quality fry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

sunnyse wrote: »
    I'd love to find a place that did a really high quality fry up.
    there,s nothing high quality about a fry up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

ok so where do you like to have lunch. what makes a good lunch for you, cost, quantity, service, basicly what do you want in a lunch menu. what would you like to see in waterford that is maby not there at the moment or what is here but needs improvment.

where have you gone for lunch and been let down and why. how much would you spend on lunch in a week what do you expect to spend on lunch.

there,s nothing high quality about a fry up

That depends on the ingredients. When I cook my own I buy all organic sausages, bacon, eggs etc.
    When you go into good cafes in Dublin and Cork they often say for example that the black pudding is from clonakilty or the sausages are sourced from a local butcher or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lucy Locket

sunnyse wrote: »
    Was sizzlers ever that good??? I hadn't eaten there in years before they closed a few years ago....before reopening again.

As an aside, where would you think the best full Irish can be found??? I'm always on the lookout;)
    I usually just go to the kylemore and order any combination I feel like that day but the quality of the ingredients is poor and really cheap. I'd love to find a place that did a really high quality fry up.

I think the idea of it being open after the night clubs would be great, even when cafe luna use to open late it was great, go in after a night of drinking & have a sit down and something nice rather than a greasy take away!!

I had a good breakfast in the Brassarie recently, I never knew they did it and after a cousins wedding, I went in on a saturday morning really needing a fry up and oh it hit the spot, and the portions are HUGE - it was €11.00 or so but def worth it!! :D

Actually here's a relevent thread.....I get the feeling trotter knows what I mean:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255979

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sizzlers was pretty poor, myself and the gf went in their before it closed and everything tasted of lemon....I mean everything...the chicken, chips etc

My only guess is it was washing up liquad used to wash all their stuff

Waterford needs more late night Cafe type places, something Kilkenny has and its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

your doing market research aren't you!

forbesii wrote: »
    your doing market research aren't you!

That's exactly what I thought:D Between this thread and the sizzlers thread it seems that way.

If you are doing market research I'd say keep as far away from the lower to middle end of the food industry like it has the pox. This town is littered with the remains of good people who thought the could make money with a nice little cafe;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sizzlers is closed isn't it. I could swear its an italian restaurant now. I am pretty sure I ate there recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

sizzlers was great in its time, no it didn't have good food, but after a few beers it was great to be able to go to place have a sit down and not have to eat deep fried food....
    so it would be good if there was a replacement somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yeah.. market reaserch is right, but if you are opinions, I would say there is defo a market fstill there for another nice little cafe with good food, not deep fried stuff, decent food at a good price,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

im all for market research as long as you put Duck pizza on the menu with hoi sin sauce!!! wooooo weeeee!!!

in other news.. Sumatra make a nice lunch, its become a regular spot for me of a sunday afternoon :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Interesting...

Must look into the situation with these type of threads are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

bring in a cafe that plays some proper acoustic music as you eat, gives free refills and couches you can get lost in with proper cushions on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Refills and couches dream on my friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Doesn't Subway give free refills?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The lunch grub in the Ramada is excellent.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Roen wrote: »
    Doesn't Subway give free refills?

Sure do.

Personally, I prefer a spacious place where we can get some nice grub (from meals to smaller stuff), sit back and relax in comfy seats. The free refills is handy, but not critical. Plus, iv only ever gotten about 2 or 3 refills so I don't know if people really go to town on it.

Any particular reason for the market research? You could at least be honest with us - help us to help you and all that.

• Advertisement

Never been in sizzlers so iv no idea, but I agree that more decent type of Cafes are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Threads merged. Same Market Research.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Threads merged. Same Market Research.

Im sure the OP will give all of us boardsies free lunch (or something free) in his new business for all our help. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

haha there is now 5 threads in the top 10 threads in the waterford city forum about food..

Thats it!!! im going to get some food.. starvin after reading them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Once we compile a list of top places for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner we boardsies must spend a day trying each top suggestion followed by a boards beers that night. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

so if anyone else would like to add to what has already been posted feel free. it may benefit you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Right, I'll bite (Pardon the pun :p )

Good lunch for me is someplace comfortable, good food - a decent portion of it too, friendly staff, bright, and free wifi. Oh, and proper coffee :)

Couches are grand and all, but not essential. This is probably going to sound stupid, but I hate ( hate ) badly fitted chairs to tables - Look at Geoffs, the couches are really low compared to the tables in some parts. Some of the seats are awkward to get in to and out of.

Good food is good food, but what you serve is important. I'm not sure what you intend on doing kitchen-wise. Cafes are all well and good, but if I'm doing a days hard work, I like hot food, rather than a selection of cold sandwiches. Pre made sandwiches are terrible too, don't bother! A soup of the day always works too. There's a cafe beside NCAD in Dublin which does a cup of soup of the day and a bagel/bap with 2/3 fillings for 4 quid during lunch. Always gets a fair bit of business.

Friendly staff will always make me go back to a place - If they know what the food is like, are generally friendly, and don't try to make a sales pitch at every oppurtunity, you've got some good ones - Easier said than done though. If they remember the regulars, all the better :)

Bright - Pretty much self explanitory. I don't mean blinding, but do some good research on the colours you use in the place - It makes a difference.

Free wifi will always get people in for you - And even though it's free, the majority of people will buy a coffee etc. anyways rather than sit awkwardly in a cafe! Back in Dublin, I go to several places primarily because I can use their wireless access (It dosn't matter that some don't know I do...) Their food is grand and all, but I need to check emails etc quite often, or make sure an upload is going ok. Free wifi ftw.

Proper coffee is a must have - I'm sick of cafe's with crappy coffee, or machines spitting out crap! You don't need a team of barristas but get a good coffee machine, buy good beans and give your staff some solid training - make sure that you yourself are well trained in coffee. Most cafe's know nothing of what temps' burn the milk, or how subtle the chocolate should be in a proper mocha (It's not a hot chocolate with caffeine :p ), nor that cappuccino's shouldn't have chocolate on top unless requested - Never mind asking if a customer likes their coffee strong or weak!!!

Fill the above criteria, and you can afford to charge that bit more - I don't mind paying extra for good service and food/coffee/wifi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Sizzlers is closed isn't it. I could swear its an italian restaurant now. I am pretty sure I ate there recently.

It is indeed an Italian now, a really good one. They cook everything from scratch too, cause I can't eat garlic and they'll cook anything you want on the menu without it. :) Think it's called Fontana. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I was in Ned Kelly's (formerly The Exchange) on Tuesday for lunch. I have never been in there before for grub but gave it a go as I was meeting my father for lunch. It was really crap from the start. Firstly, I ordered from the menu on the blackboard, and my dad ordered his meal. When paying the girl said that's €16.45, I queried this as my dish was €6-50 and so was my dad's, however she said my dish (even though shown as €6-50) was €9-95 as the one on the menu was only a starter?? I was bemused and said that I only ordered what I saw I didn't know if it was supposed to be a starter or not (I'm not psychic!!). Anyway paid the €16-45 and had to wait for my meal as they were waiting on chips. Father tucked in and was happy enough and then along came my meal, looked only alright and tasted average and was luke warm. In typical Irish fashion I didn't complain there and then as I felt there would be an argument rather then solution to this. But said I'd let people know as I definately wouldn't recommend the place. (That's my opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Woodgate wrote: »
    I was in Ned Kelly's (formerly The Exchange) on Tuesday for lunch. I have never been in there before for grub but gave it a go as I was meeting my father for lunch. It was really crap from the start. Firstly, I ordered from the menu on the blackboard, and my dad ordered his meal. When paying the girl said that's €16.45, I queried this as my dish was €6-50 and so was my dad's, however she said my dish (even though shown as €6-50) was €9-95 as the one on the menu was only a starter?? I was bemused and said that I only ordered what I saw I didn't know if it was supposed to be a starter or not (I'm not psychic!!). Anyway paid the €16-45 and had to wait for my meal as they were waiting on chips. Father tucked in and was happy enough and then along came my meal, looked only alright and tasted average and was luke warm. In typical Irish fashion I didn't complain there and then as I felt there would be an argument rather then solution to this. But said I'd let people know as I definately wouldn't recommend the place. (That's my opinion).

I was in the exchange for a leaving lunch in June and it wasnt great. I had a panini and chips, had to wait 20mins for it, when I got it, the chips were undercooked and the chicken in the cheese chicken panini was very mean. It was overpriced for what I got and a brutal service.

Brunch used to be ok but is so so overpriced, so I no longer go there.

The Bistro has gone very downhill for lunch also, cheap mean portions and overpriced. Im ok with an overpriced lunch an odd time if its good but the Bistro is not good.

And Kylemore.........grubby grubby, I dont even enjoy walking through there.

I think yer best bet is get to yer local butchers and make yer own fry, cant beat it! You at least know its cooked in a clean environment and itl be a fraction of the cost.

Advertisement