Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard on a tiled wall

Options
  • 01-08-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have seen someone put insulated sheets of plasterboard over a tiled wall in a bathroom because there was dampness. Onto this he's going to tile again. Is this, apart from being the lazy way out, dangerous at all? I know its bad practice and is reducing the size of an already small room, but is he just covering up the problem really? And before anyone says it, its not me.... :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

mattym wrote: »
    I have seen someone put insulated sheets of plasterboard over a tiled wall in a bathroom because there was dampness. Onto this he's going to tile again. Is this, apart from being the lazy way out, dangerous at all? I know its bad practice and is reducing the size of an already small room, but is he just covering up the problem really? And before anyone says it, its not me.... :):):)

It just seems silly and pointless putting it over the tiles... how long would it take to take the tiles off the wall?? maybe 10 mins with an SDS chisel??

Also i would wonder how he fixed the insulated plaster board, i hope he didn't try stick it to the tiles..... if he used the plastic mushroom type fixings he would of had to drill through the tiles....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't say its silly and pointless - it saves time and the cost of disposing of the tiles that would have been removed, and for how much space? a few mm's tile and a few mm's adhesive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

You may think it is only a few mm, but you can actually save inches of space by removing the old wall covering. Think about it. Removing the old covering would free up maybe 10mm...

But if you are to cover over this 10mm covering with the insulated plasterboard which is called TW52, a product that measures 50mm in thickness and you use this on the four walls in a room you will reduce the width and length of your room by 100mm which is four inches which actually is quite a lot of space especially if the room is small already..

Just a thought.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

stick-dan wrote: »
    You may think it is only a few mm, but you can actually save inches of space by removing the old wall covering. Think about it. Removing the old covering would free up maybe 10mm...

But if you are to cover over this 10mm covering with the insulated plasterboard which is called TW52, a product that measures 50mm in thickness and you use this on the four walls in a room you will reduce the width and length of your room by 100mm which is four inches which actually is quite a lot of space especially if the room is small already..

Just a thought.,

But you still only save the 10mm considering you were going to be putting on the extra anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

To be fair, this guy may have been dealing with a situation where the tiles were stuck directly to unskimmed plasterboard. If this was the case, it might not have been too practical to remove the tiles with a drill or hammer. Still, I would have just removed the plasterboard if I were going to that much trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement