Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Automatic

Options
  • 01-08-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I have just bought a 1994 Mini Automatic. There is a noise when it takes off from stopped. It goes out of it once it is moving and it drives all right.
    A guy at work told me to check the gearbox oil. Is the gearbox oil seperate in an automatic or is engine and gearbox oil all together?
    I can't find any dipstick for the gearbox oil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

conmack wrote: »
    I have just bought a 1994 Mini Automatic. There is a noise when it takes off from stopped. It goes out of it once it is moving and it drives all right.
    A guy at work told me to check the gearbox oil. Is the gearbox oil seperate in an automatic or is engine and gearbox oil all together?
    I can't find any dipstick for the gearbox oil.

Engine and gearbox oil are one in the same dude. Is this your first mini? Im guessing it is. Can you descibe the noise a bit better? Is it a screeching noise or is it something different?

Auto mini engines are pretty bulletproof and id be surprised if its anything serious, its the rest of the car id be worried about.

drop me a PM if your still hearing noises dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conmack

It's my first automatic mini. I guessed that that the oil was all the same from the positioning of the dipstick. It is a kind of screeching noise. It is a classic 35 94 model in spotless condition with white leather seats, no stripes or spotlights, just ordinary looking but fairly impressive. If I take off very slowly and go through the auto gears slowly I can get it to pick up without the noise, but if I try to take off quickly it makes a terrible racket. Incidently it has been lying up for a couple of years

It's my first automatic mini. I guessed that that the oil was all the same from the positioning of the dipstick. It is a kind of screeching noise. It is a classic 35 94 model in spotless condition with white leather seats, no stripes or spotlights, just ordinary looking but fairly impressive. If I take off very slowly and go through the auto gears slowly I can get it to pick up without the noise, but if I try to take off quickly it makes a terrible racket. Incidently it has been lying up for a couple of years

check the fanbelt and see if theres any excess play in it (should be quite firm but move about a centimeter when pressed hard) that might explain the screeching. its a doddle to fix.

im assuming its not an MPI model (rad at the front of the engine) if so it might be something else

By the way the guy at work who is an expert on everything said something about transmission fluid. Does it have transmission fluid?
    My own mechanic never did anything with an automatic mini and I think that he wants to stay that way but he asked me to get details of the engine and gearbox from tha internet , diagrams etc and he would have a look. I searched everywhere and I cannot find anything, even the workshop manuals that you pay to download

The noise is definately from the gearbox. The rad is on the side. It is not the belt that is screeching.

• Advertisement

By the way the guy at work who is an expert on everything said something about transmission fluid. Does it have transmission fluid?
    My own mechanic never did anything with an automatic mini and I think that he wants to stay that way but he asked me to get details of the engine and gearbox from tha internet , diagrams etc and he would have a look. I searched everywhere and I cannot find anything, even the workshop manuals that you pay to download

sign up over on miniresource.com - theres a load of gurus on there who's be able to give you the info you need man. its an irish based site with lots of UK peeps who'll be glad to help

Thank's 1275gt for your help. Maybe someone else out there knows something about old automatic minis

Than's again, I registered with that crowd and it has been successful but I have to wait for an email before I can bore them with my problems

Advertisement