Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone signal

Options
  • 01-08-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone have any recomendations on mobile phone boosters or repeaters to install inside / outside my house to boost my signal - I have come across a company in the UK but the cost for a wireless system internally linked to an external aerial is over €500 which to be honest I am reluctant to spend particuarly with advancements with technology and hopefully the benefits the Femtocell systems will deliver at some stage (hopefully later this year). I know I am not alone........:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

You're not!
    I've moved into a new house and have the same problem

HELP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is the house the problem or your network provider, would it not be cheaper to change networks if the signal is bad in your house....have you a 3G phone, do a manual network search and see what networks pop up...

There's a few signals that should be around...

02 - 2G
    02 - 3G
    3 - 3G
    Vodafone - 2G
    Vodafone - 3G
    Metero - 2G

One of them must be good where you are....

Thanks for this,I'm in Balbriggan and in certain areas my Meteor signal is poor,I don't think it is solely my house as the surrounding areas have weak signal.

I have done a manual search as I heard that Vodafone has a deal with Meteor,where as Meteor can use Vodafone signal (or whatever the technical terminaology is) The only other signal is O2,off hand I can't remember 2G or 3G but I don't have access rights for O2

Someone also said that there are codes I can put into my Nokia phone to boost signal - true?!

Not an option to change my provider as I have 6 months to run on contract,Meteor did sau that if in the area they found that there was inferior signal they would release me from the contract - they found there to be at least three bars within their trianglation text - thing is my estate is a new one,I'm not 100% sure that they tested the correct area(may not be on maps yet)

Did you do the network search with a 2G phone or a 3G phone...? Maybe your only picking up 2G signals, you should have seen more networks than vodafone...

If the network is bad in your house they should reslease you from you contract without incurring and early terminaton penalties...

Not sure about that code you trype in, i'd say it's a myth...

I have a Nokia 5310 - have no idea about how many Gs!:confused: though.

I guess though they can only do the tests and I can just say I don't have signal - my word against theirs - sorta thingy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi Howard, did you not get my PM on this?

Ok you have a 2G phone...it does not pick up 3G signal, 3G signal could be good in your area from , 02, 3 and Vodafone......it could be time to change netwoks......can you get your hands on a 3G phone to check signal in your area....do you know anybody with a 3 phone....all there handsets are 3G so they will show you what networks are around....

I know nothing about the Meteor 3G trial....maybe some op could shed some light on whether it covers your area....

thanks Drunkmonkey,a few things to consider!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Did you do the network search with a 2G phone or a 3G phone...? Maybe your only picking up 2G signals, you should have seen more networks than vodafone...

If the network is bad in your house they should reslease you from you contract without incurring and early terminaton penalties...

Not sure about that code you trype in, i'd say it's a myth...

Living in a remote part of the Mournes, its unlikely that I will get a usable mobile signal anytime soon and at present 2G outside is all the postcode checkers will give me.
    I have gone the route of buying signal booster,and it didn'twork because I believe it was not on the frequency of the local Vodaphone Tx.The Vodaphone company would not tell me the Tx freq, and I returned the booster, which I believe may not be strictly legal in use anyway?
    I recently have been looking into the idea ofa smart phone with an external aerial socket, and the Telstra range of phones seem to be up to speed on this range problem. They are in Australia ,and I wonder if they would work over here?
    The other idea may be to investigate the "Project Ara" system of build yourown modular phone, but not available in ashop near you any time soon?
    The final problem is that a broadband signal in my area would be up to 1mg bit at best, so mobile service thrrough the internet is a non starter.
    may have to find a land line number for Nikola Tesla.!
    If you buy a Rhubarb Tart, (Not a Raspberry Pie),eat the tart, and keep the aluminum tray, the phone will pick up a signal if you place it in the middle of the tray,which is a parabola,like a satellite dish. Fine for texting, but awkward for phone calls.

Advertisement