Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV DNS Issues

Options
  • 01-08-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Over the past 3-4 days, ive been losing the UTV DNS service completely which is quite annoying. Anyone know whats going on with them? I switched my secondary DNS to ns1.granitecanyon.com ( 205.166.226.38 ) which has sorted me out for the moment anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Had DNS issue today for about 30mins @ 1pm. Based in Co. Galway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While personally I've only been using UTV for a short while if you search this forum you'll see that DNS issues on UTV are an issue from time to time.

Easiest way to resolve this is just change your DNS servers to one's thast are not belong to UTV, for example opendns.com servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 aoidan

dns was out again for the last hour , Ive just swiched to OpenDNS their nameservers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 ,i should of done this a lone time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Any disadvantage to using a 3rd party DNS?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've had the same problems a few days ago. With thanks to Agent Smith, I switched to using OpenDNS servers, as stated by aoidan above. Still using them, don't see much point in switching back.

And is it just me, or does boards now load a slight bit faster using OpenDNS nameservers instead of UTV's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

leex wrote: »
    I was wondering the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

leex wrote: »
    It depends on the reliability and your latency. Otherwise, no. All it's used for is to translate domain addresses into IP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

If you're a bit of a tinfoil hat then it might be worth noting that the opennds servers have been linked with some privacy concerns. There are some details on wikipedia here for anyone interested. There's also the fact that every single DNS request has to leave the country before being resolved, not a big issue but worth noting.

Another alternative is something like OpenNIC which doesn't set out to be an alternative open DNS service, but more an alternative to ICANN (The people that run the well known top level domains like .com etc). They also have DNS servers that can be used, and it's completely backward compatible with the ICANN tld's. I haven't used them myself so can't comment on their reliability, but I figure there's no harm in letting folks know they exist :)

Advertisement