Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Saddened to hear that. A good poster in the Sligo forum

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Very sad to hear, condolences to his family. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,077 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have to say I got a bit of a shock to read about Mint Sauce. He was a regular both here and in the Donegal forum and was very articulated with his posts. I would have exchanged a few PMs with him over the years and he came across a lovely person.

RIP Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

RIP

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Crossed paths with Chris a few times over the years.. very sound lad so very sad to learn of his passing earlier this week.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I could be totally wrong here but while passing the bus station on Lord Ed St today and with the corner of my I caught the billboard and it seemed to be advertising a hindi restaurant opening. Again I could be completely wrong.

It's called Thindi.

FB page shows a photo of Garavogue pub but doesn't mean it is going to be there . I would have thought they would let Camille Thai have a proper sit in chance before changing franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

prodsc wrote: »
    It's called Thindi.

FB page shows a photo of Garavogue pub but doesn't mean it is going to be there . I would have thought they would let Camille Thai have a proper sit in chance before changing franchise.
    They have it up now on the garavouge fb page. Wonder is Camille going or they having both.

• Hi folks.

I'm trying to buy sisal string locally. (To fill gaps in floor boards and paint over).

Tried Homebase, Homeland, Mr Price. No joy. Centra have thin parcel string, but it's too thin. Does anyone know if any of the garden centres stock it, or anywhere else that have it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Hello folks. This seems to be the most lively thread in here and I just have a little query I'd like an answer to please - I'm possibly transferring to Sligo in the near future and looking at possible rental in the Market yard area. I know its in a great central location and parking looks good, but would it be okay in terms of safety etc? Thanks.

• Advertisement

TheBeach wrote: »
    Hello folks. This seems to be the most lively thread in here and I just have a little query I'd like an answer to please - I'm possibly transferring to Sligo in the near future and looking at possible rental in the Market yard area. I know its in a great central location and parking looks good, but would it be okay in terms of safety etc? Thanks.

In general it's ok, does have a few scumbags about but just like most central places. Assaults are not a regular occurrence. But noise from late night parties does happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TheBeach wrote: »

I used to live there for a few years about 10 years ago (Makes me feel old saying that) and it was mostly grand. I'd live there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Thank you both for your answers. That puts my mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

Hi folks.

I'm trying to buy sisal string locally. (To fill gaps in floor boards and paint over).

Tried Homebase, Homeland, Mr Price. No joy. Centra have thin parcel string, but it's too thin. Does anyone know if any of the garden centres stock it, or anywhere else that have it? Thanks

Don’t know if you got sorted, but Nice Price on Wine St (opposite the car park entrance) or House of Value in the car park have always come up trumps for me when looking for random things that used to be commonplace but are now a bit harder to find.

• Thanks Dakar. Not sorted yet, and gosh yeah! I never thought of those places but they seem pretty obvious now. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I’m 99% sure I saw what you’re looking for in Nice Price on Wine Street :-)
    Thanks Dakar. Not sorted yet, and gosh yeah! I never thought of those places but they seem pretty obvious now. Cheers!

• johnire wrote: »
    I’m 99% sure I saw what you’re looking for in Nice Price on Wine Street :-)

Boooooom! Best roll of sisal I ever did see!

• Has Sligo Boards gone quiet since the Boards.ie introduced the new site? I'm still finding the new Boards very difficult to navigate, should have left it as it was IMO.

It sure has. It's taken a long time for the new site to bed in with basic functions (And it still has alot of ongoing issues for users)

I suspect some are no longer posting until it settles down a bit more. Some of the newer changes can be annoying & put you off posting anything.

Others have simply stopped posting altogether.

• Thanks BronsonTB. I'm sure we've all worked with companies that migrated to new systems or upgraded existing ones, but the new revised Boards.ie must be one of the worst and prolonged ever. It just feels like effective and fluent communication has been strangled and it doesn't look to me that its going to recover with any marked improvements. I feel for those involved behind the scenes but it seems incomprehensible that such a balls up has occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Does anybody know who the guy is that sings just outside Tesco? He has a ponytail and plays a tiny guitar. No disrespect to him but he's an atrocious singer.

Anyone else visit McDonalds Sligo recently?

Dreadfully slow service to the point other customers in the queue at lunchtime today, turned away to go elsewhere..

(KFC beside them would benefit only they have new staff in training and are even slower!)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Any time I've passed there (and actually any other place with a drive through in general) there have been long lines of cars queuing. I'd imagine with covid more people are choosing to get drive through instead of going into which might be taking up more of the staff time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Where would a man get a car wash mit? Euro car parts in Collooney, One stop in town and several other filling stations.. Halfords was a brilliant outlet when it was trading and I miss it terribly..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Have you tried any of the shops like Eurosaver in johnstones Court SC and DEALZ and House of value wine street car park and Nice price and then opposite the NCT centre in carraroe there is motor factors there and the motor factors next to Derry Taheny lighting and electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi Andy, I haven’t tried any of them to be honest. I’ll give them all a try over the next week. Cheers!

Top Part beside Taheny's on the quay should have something suitable in stock.Micks garage has these ones (Online rather than local)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I got a leaflet with the post this morning to review the register of elections in Co. Sligo.

It has to be returned by 22 Oct....tomorrow!!! It doesn't give much time. Friends are out of the country until next month, does that mean they will be struck off the register?

I don't listen to local radio so I am not sure if this is an issue.

Struck off??

Never heard of being struck off, usually it's to be registered to vote so once it's done once, you shouldn't have to do it again, least I've never been struck off & voting over 25 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Advertisement