Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Oh my goodness, just seeing the above post. Shocking and sad. I didn't know Sligo Joe, but he had been helpful to me when he could. The kindness of strangers. Rest in Peace SligoJoeK and thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hello people, where is the best place to get some keys cut in Sligo town do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks Andy, I had discovered that one with a google but I also asked here just in case there were any other smaller shops that might not be online. Sure I will give them a visit. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Atlantic lock & key at 7 Thomas St, cuts keys too

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement

Great, thanks @BronsonTB they might be even closer to where I will be - not that they are a million miles away from each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Who, if any, of our elected officials holds the greatest amount of influence within the Dail? More specifically with regards to disability and equality.

• I might be being naive here, but I would have thought that any member of the Dail should in theory have the potential for an equal level of influence, which will of course be dependent on their confidence that the issues being raised on behalf of their constituents are valid and worthy of mention in the Dail

Again, I think the area/issue doesn’t matter.

If you have a specific area of concern, it’s important to research your case and have all the facts ready and on paper.

If you are pursuing an issue which affects both yourself and others you could consider setting up a Pressure Group (Facebook Campaign etc).

I have had opportunity over the years to speak occasionally to elected representatives who at first may seem hesitant to take on issues on behalf of constituents. But if you have a valid case to pursue, I think personal tenacity and perseverance is the key to getting elected reps on your side.

We all have rights and it’s important to make sure those rights are upheld, and in places where rights need to be improved or extended, the Dail is the place for those with the authority to do so are made aware of that need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

My feeling is that some, more than others, would have stronger feelings for issues like disability and equality.

3 arrested from Ballina/Foxford for the recent Sligo assault.....if guilty, I really hope justice is served & not given leniant sentances...

1 has previous confiction history & was given suspended sentence. Will watch to see if justice is actually served before commenting further.

Post edited by BronsonTB on

• Advertisement

• Is there a chemist in town open today/this evening? Friday 18th March

Bit late replying but in case you need one again

Open till 8pm nightly - Lannon's Pharmacy (Across from Sligo Park Hotel within Cannings shop)

BTB

There is a family fun day in IT Sligo on Sunday 3rd April open to the public to celebrate the end of IT Sligo and the beginning of Atlantic Technological University.

"Entertainment will include music with The Old Market Street Swing Band and HiFi, Street acts including a flea circus, circus scientists, clowns, stilt walkers, Ballet Poulet and much more."

• Search Function: Am I missing something obvious here? I cant find a way to search "Sligo Forum" only threads for specific items.

Still cant get my head around the new Boards, I'm trying, but it's just not user friendly/obvious IMO. Thanks.

There is a way on desktop but not on mobile to search by forum.

On desktop, search for your thread/word. Then click on 'Discussions' and an option to filter by Category will appear on the right hand side. You can choose the Sligo forum from there to filter the results to threads from this forum.

A newb question here, going to the cinema this evening but I see that the Quayside carpark closes at 9 (film over about 10). Is it ok to park in the Tesco carpark across the way or does that also close in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭sligopaul

No tescos carpark is always open, enjoy

Ah great, thanks @sligopaul 😎

Random observation - I was driving the car at lunchtime and spotted 2 helicopters flying side by side heading northwest (ish). I was on the R284 between Ballygawley and Union Woods at the time. They weren't the rescue helicopter(s) just normal shaped/sized helicopters. Any idea what they would have been doing or where they were going? I probably wouldn't have paid too much attention except that there were two of them flying together!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 QweenBea

I was over near Carraroe and saw them too. Looked like they were headed towards the airport. Strangely. they didn't show up on flightradar24.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Rosses Point beach.

I do love it and have since childhood, however the way the council have dealt with the ramp to the second beach is an accident waiting to happen.

Two hours before high tide a lot of people couldn't access or leave the beach without risk of a soaking or a fall on rocks. Tourists must be shocked at the sight of it.

• Hi folks.

Does anyone know anywhere local selling frozen white fish fillets? Cod/haddock/pollack? (Not battered/not bread-crumbed, just plain frozen fillets).

The local supermarkets Aldi/Lidl/Abbey Frozen, haven't had any in for months now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's a guy with a van from Killybegs in the car park at Cartron Weds-Sat mornings.

https://www.facebook.com/The-FISH-MAN-104425418174795/

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I don't know if it's the same fella or another one but last time we were at the farmer's market in ATU there was a fresh fish guy there too (not frozen). It's on Sat mornings 9.00am-1.00pm

• Thanks folks, indeed looking for frozen fish to buy in relative bulk. But I can ask at the stall.

The place over at Killala harbour used to sell boxes of frozen fish so I’ll give them a call. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,004 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would you not consider buying fresh and then freezing?

• Hi ya. Yeah that’s the obvious one. It’s about the price differential between the previously available frozen fish.

Checking in Tescos today, price of fresh cod and haddock is the same as frozen. So why buy frozen : )

All of that is Donegal or Irish sourced.

The thing is frozen fish, mostly pollack and cod and not Irish sourced, was previously available in multi packs in Lidl and Aldi at half the price of Irish, though probably not the same quality, However Lidl and Aldi and Abbey Frozen haven’t stocked them for months. So it seems that cheaper non-Irish white fish is gone for now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi folks, could someone please recommend a gutter cleaner? It's only for the gutter at the front of the house, my long ladder isn't long enough.

Also, I'm looking for a sewer unblocking service that won't cost me an eye and a leg and a kidney - any suggestions, please? I've tried unlocking it myself with the rods but no joy. I think the blockage is outside the property (on the basis of the number of rods I've used) so I'll be ringing Irish Water in the morning, but just in case they still say it's within the property boundary I'll need a plan B.

Thanks.

Have you tried The Food Centre? http://thefoodcentre.co/

Alternatively, the ethnic shop in Pearse Road or the Polish/Lithuanian shop near the smaller Dunnes Stores car park might have it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Thanks for that.

Re: cleaning gutters. I would recommend James Ellis at Atlantic Window/Drain Cleaning Services.

086 661 4772.

He's also on Facebook as "Atlantic Window Cleaning". He could probably do the sewers as well.

https://ms-my.facebook.com/Atlanticwindowclean/community/?ref=page_internal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Any forest around Sligo Town or close to it with wild mushrooms growing? We tried Hazelwood but all was sprayed with pesticides so no luck at all.

Advertisement