Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Funnily enough we had a problem building the shelf unit.. but got it sorted and it's fine now. The wine rack is 1/2 full (i.e 3 bottles of wine).

Next time I'm up there I'l definitely say hi.. providing BT or the ESB don't ring me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Yes,on that not BM,where were you.

I think I might have been talking to Basquille today....Basquille did Sky ring you today asking to install Sky on Monday but you put it off until Thursday.
    And I might have been talking to Jizzlord today aswell.

My ever expanding genius reached new heights last week when I decided that it would be a good idea to install linux on my laptop as a dual boot system. It worked, Linux was installed but I managed to wipe everything off my hard disk including my backup partition. Spend the week looking for a copy of windows. did that, then I had to download all the drivers again....ect ect........ not a pretty sight. Still, back to wind up people here again for another while........
    basquille wrote: »
    Think the mobile operators (especially O2) are acting up today.. might be why mobile broadband is crap.

Couldn't ring out earlier on from anywhere in town.. switched phone off and everything. Everything's return to normal around 5-ish though.

Yeah, my network went completely down today. Couldn't get nowt on my phone. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Big_Mac wrote: »
    My ever expanding genius reached new heights last week when I decided that it would be a good idea to install linux on my laptop as a dual boot system. It worked, Linux was installed but I managed to wipe everything off my hard disk including my backup partition. Spend the week looking for a copy of windows. did that, then I had to download all the drivers again....ect ect........ not a pretty sight. Still, back to wind up people here again for another while........
    [nerd chat]

Blame GRUB! :D

Did it actually wipe everything off or did it just have problems finding your Windows partiton in the bootloader?

[/nerd chat]

basquille wrote: »
    [nerd chat]

Blame GRUB! :D

Did it actually wipe everything off or did it just have problems finding your Windows partiton in the bootloader?

[/nerd chat]

I blame grub too. No it completely wiped the partition. To make matters worse, XP doesn't have drivers for SATA hard disks, so it wouldn't install either as it couldn't detect the disk, even though the bios did. had to download the driver, put it on a floppy and get an external floppy drive to install the driver before i could install the disk. and then, as if that wasn't enough, i was told that my genuine XP COA wasn't valid. (Its on my the back of my laptop FFS) so I had some good fun getting that straight (in a kinda not really legit way). the drivers to get my machine back up and running to the way it was were about a gig to download, so I made use of my company facilites and it only took about 20 mins (not a word stewie)

All that cos I was trying to learn a new OS eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Sorry to hear about all your trouble,don't think I would have been able to figure out how to fix it.
    I installed Linux on my laptop but its worked fine,I rarely use it though because I'm so used to Windows,I wonder why it wiped everything though,that didn't happen me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

All that cos I was trying to learn a new OS eh?

It's a conspiracy!

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about all your trouble,don't think I would have been able to figure out how to fix it.
    I installed Linux on my laptop but its worked fine,I rarely use it though because I'm so used to Windows,I wonder why it wiped everything though,that didn't happen me:)

Well, now that I think about it, I really should have partitioned my HD in windows before doing it. I have a CD with Gentu on it that you can boot from and install from there. I thought that Gentu was doing a partition for me but evidently not. If the partition was done before hand, I could have just selected the one that I wanted to install to....hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that.
    Xiney wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy!
    I know, Damn you Bill Gates!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

there are recovery programs, I formated the wrong hd by accident and got a lot back, the drivers not though! can dig it out if you need it!

Thanks Mrs. T. Rather astoundingly, I would say I had a miniscule thought that I should back up my stuff before tinkering, so I didn't lose anything except my sanity.

On the recvery note, I had a blonde moment at work there a few months back (no offence to blondes) and deleted all of my previous work and files that I had stored. It didn't go to the recycle bin so it was gone. Went over to IT and asked them if it was possible to recover info that was lost with recovery programs and i was told that they don't really work. (Maybe he was lazy or something) but anyway.... that was just as an aside.

Thanks for the offer Mrs T.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

On the recvery note, I had a blonde moment at work there a few months back (no offence to blondes) and deleted all of my previous work and files that I had stored. It didn't go to the recycle bin so it was gone. Went over to IT and asked them if it was possible to recover info that was lost with recovery programs and i was told that they don't really work. (Maybe he was lazy or something) but anyway.... that was just as an aside.

In fairness, it was probably more likely that he was up to his eyeballs running around after everyone else at the time!

You could never say the IT guys/girls were lazy, they were constantly running around catering to whoever's latest whim! :D

Or, they could just like making your life harder :pac:

Moral of the story: Don't have blonde moments in work! :p

• Advertisement

I have one recovery program that worked for us. I have it on a rom, so if anyone has a blond moment agian let us know!!! we wil laugh hartely whilst giving you a copy!!:D

How come, in a town full of catty jerkfaces (no offence people, you know it's true!) the Sligo board is so full of nice people?

I mean seriously. We're all here to help each other out and we're nice to new people and everything. I'm so proud to call myself a Sligo Boardsie. <3

(must be hormones. shut up, I'll cut you)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

How come, in a town full of catty jerkfaces (no offence people, you know it's true!) the Sligo board is so full of nice people?

I mean seriously. We're all here to help each other out and we're nice to new people and everything. I'm so proud to call myself a Sligo Boardsie. <3

awww you bought a tear to my eye:D
    until I read about the hormones, now I'm scared:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz its like leaving a job, you hate the place and the people until the last week when you know you are going, and suddenly you're going to miss everything about it! Seriously, get out now! Don't look back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mrs.T wrote: »
    I have one recovery program that worked for us. I have it on a rom, so if anyone has a blond moment agian let us know!!! we wil laugh hartely whilst giving you a copy!!:D

I am really due a blonde moment, so will keep your kind offer in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Evening Primrose? :D

/runs

Yeah but I always loved the Sligo board Brian! (And I think it'll take a long time, say, the onset of senility, before I look back on Sligo Town too fondly...)

Sue, I had to look up evening primrose. Who knew!?

Ah but now you have the Galway city board as well? I see you are already "enjoying" yourself there?!?!

yeah... right....

Lolz, us sligo boardsies have to stick together over there. Jizzlord is down there as well isn't he?

• Advertisement

I've seen him post over there alright.

Oh, so that's how it is then is it? Give us a farewell speech and suddenly you're off to play with you're new friends. (sniff sniff) Well that's just FINE.. You go right ahead and play with your new friends, see if we care. In fact, I don't know why we bothered with you in the first place. Just using us until something better came along. Who do you think you are, I mean REALLY! some people just..................

Xiney banned for Treason against Sligo!!!!!

Oh, so that's how it is then is it? Give us a farewell speech and suddenly you're off to play with you're new friends. (sniff sniff) Well that's just FINE.. You go right ahead and play with your new friends, see if we care. In fact, I don't know why we bothered with you in the first place. Just using us until something better came along. Who do you think you are, I mean REALLY! some people just..................

Oh God, more hormones:eek: where's your evening primrose Sueme?

Whatevs.

I like you all a whole lot better than the other board, and probably always will, so shush!

:D

Whatevs.

I like you all a whole lot better than the other board, and probably always will, so shush!

:D

Oi You! I said BANNED!

neener neener neener

you can ban me from the next Sligo boards beers :P

Ha ha ha! I was going to say the same thing about the hormones, Magnumlady!
    sueme wrote: »
    I am really due a blonde moment, so will keep your kind offer in mind.

I personally love blonde moments and I always tell people I'm a blonde in disguise. :D

Helloooooooo............. is there anybody out there.... out there....... out there........

Awfully quiet here lately

• Advertisement

Helloooooooo............. is there anybody out there.... out there....... out there........

Awfully quiet here lately

Just nod if you can hear me (Pink Floyd....just incase anyone doesn't know)

Advertisement