Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Does anyone actually read the Sligo Post, I thought you just kind of look at the pictures... :D In Geevagh's only 'shop' we have the amazing choice of The Roscommon Herald, the Sligo Champion, The RTE Guide and Ireland's Own! :D So the only time I ever come across it is when I get a coffee in the Instore cafe at the retail park and I'm usually done flicking through it and muttering that it's a waste of a tree by the time my coffee arrives! :D

I do think the Champion has improved a bit since it was sold. They run copy through a spell checker these days, which helps. The layout looks more professional, too. Pity the local notes still read like a (bad) parish newsletter. :rolleyes:

Given a choice I'd buy the Weekender but seeing as all the job ads seem to go into the Champion I don't have much choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

fozzle wrote: »
    *huuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs*

Better? ;)

And don't mind that tv, sure what would they know? Enjoy your bubbles! They might cheer you up while you're sick :)

aaaah your hug has a lot of warmth, cos i woke up, flu gone :) and yes, i love my bubbles, so will enjoy one day.
    Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

genie wrote: »
    Does anyone actually read the Sligo Post, I thought you just kind of look at the pictures... :D In Geevagh's only 'shop' we have the amazing choice of The Roscommon Herald, the Sligo Champion, The RTE Guide and Ireland's Own! :D So the only time I ever come across it is when I get a coffee in the Instore cafe at the retail park and I'm usually done flicking through it and muttering that it's a waste of a tree by the time my coffee arrives! :D

I do think the Champion has improved a bit since it was sold. They run copy through a spell checker these days, which helps. The layout looks more professional, too. Pity the local notes still read like a (bad) parish newsletter. :rolleyes:

Given a choice I'd buy the Weekender but seeing as all the job ads seem to go into the Champion I don't have much choice.

The Booknest were looking for someone for their shop at St. Angelas college, don't know if the job has gone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I'm sick and I think I'm going to have to work at least half a shift tonight. Pity meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm sick and I think I'm going to have to work at least half a shift tonight. Pity meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

aaaa no, me thinks i passed my flu over to fozzle when we hugged, sooooo sorry :(
    sending big hug and nice thoughts and bright sunshine to cheer u up ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

*pity pity*

let us know how it went :(

It's okay Medeame, almost everyone in work seems to be sick. El manager is trying to find someone to cover for me, so we shall see! *crosses fingers*

But if I have to go, someone better come up and say hi! I promise I won't breathe (many) germs your way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Poor you fozzle! I'm also feeling like cr*p. Morning sickness has set in, then I got the cold (which was actually quite good because I couldn't smell anything so I wasn't puking at everyday smells). Now I have a combination of cold and sickness - oh the joys.......!

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Poor you fozzle! I'm also feeling like cr*p. Morning sickness has set in, then I got the cold (which was actually quite good because I couldn't smell anything so I wasn't puking at everyday smells). Now I have a combination of cold and sickness - oh the joys.......!

Poor fozzle n mrs t, hope i havnt infected everyone on here with my flu and tummy bug :eek:

Mrs.T wrote: »

Oh! I didn't realise you were expecting again! Man, I'm obllivious............ Congrats m'dear, hope the sickness (and the cold) don't last too long!

• Advertisement

on the plus side, Mrs T, you have what appears to be an alien in your tummy.

Xiney wrote: »
    on the plus side, Mrs T, you have what appears to be an alien in your tummy.

I know!! Doesn't "my baby" look cute...?....!:rolleyes:

It looks like s/he's getting poked in the eye on a regular basis :P

***Quote [in other news, I have joined the ranks of the gainfully employed in record time! w00t!

(recession? What recession? I interview damn well)] Quote***

Well done! What sort of work? Did you get the job you wanted to get? When do you start?

I start Wednesday!

It's exactly what I was aiming for - I'm an Office Administrator, so I'll be doing payroll and other office-y things. I'm super excited, this is the first "good" job I've had since moving to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Well done Xiney. Hope it goes great for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thats great Xiney! Delighted for you!

Why did no-one tell me McGuinness's serve Beamish Red?! that stuff is glorious, and well nigh on impossiblke to get. ^_^ I may never be sober again.

Ooooh! COngratz Xiney, and good luck tomorrow!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Congrats Xiney, congrats are in order to Mrs. T. also by the looks of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Found these on Youtube and thought that someone might get some enjoyment out of them.
    I think I prefer the second video.
    It had more things that are gone that I can remember.
    It was strange to see the old Gaiety cinema again.

Sligo photographs old and new part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuR3EAqD6C8

Sligo photographs old and new part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAMyFnaydmY

Hope you get something out of them.
    Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Brilliant find, thanks:D

Oh and congratulations to Mr And Mrs T - according to your pregnancy tracker's progress it seems likely that you will be giving birth to a human being after all (that last illustration had me a bit worried)

Xiney wrote: »
    Oh and congratulations to Mr And Mrs T - according to your pregnancy tracker's progress it seems likely that you will be giving birth to a human being after all (that last illustration had me a bit worried)

Phew!! I was getting a bit worried and wondering which side bubs was taking that from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

howdy folks, whats been happening lately

;)

@fozzle, not sure bout beamish red, but was drinking guinness red recently, absolutly beautiful.

:D

Guinness Red eh? Hmmm, I'm intrigued, where can I get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

When I was in London in the middle of June,I was in a pub and saw Guinness Red on tap,asked the barman what it was and said its basically a version of Guinness But for the women.We explained to him that Guinness was Irish(which I'm sure he already knew) and that we were Irish and had never heard of this Guinness Red.He said they had been selling it for a while aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wow, just been looking it up. James and the Giant Peach and Flipper came out in 1996. Both are listed as being shown in the Gaiety in that photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Two quality movies...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Guinness Red eh? Hmmm, I'm intrigued, where can I get this?
    bobcar61 wrote: »
    When I was in London in the middle of June,I was in a pub and saw Guinness Red on tap,asked the barman what it was and said its basically a version of Guinness But for the women.We explained to him that Guinness was Irish(which I'm sure he already knew) and that we were Irish and had never heard of this Guinness Red.He said they had been selling it for a while aswell.

was drinking it in london as well,the hops/barley, are roasted longer to give a red look in the completed pint, it not red red, but a more noticable red to regular guiness

wouldn't call it a womans drink, its just not a bitter a the regualr stuff, alcohol strenght is the same me thinks

• Advertisement

Bobcar, were you working today? Wandered in on my break to get a coke but there was a girl at customer service with you (if it's you) so I chickened out of approaching :o

Advertisement