Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Thanks babe. Keep telling myself we were lucky - it was gushing out of the ceiling of the kitchen at an insane rate - like someone had turned on a dozen taps. But it must have only been going for a couple of hours (we were on the way back from a wedding) cos at the speed it was flowing there would have been more than a foot through the ground floor in about 5 hours. But the entire kitchen is ruined and probably the wooden floor in the sitting room. And there's damp proof core through the whole house so I'm having visions of having to rip all that out. Had to turn the electricity off too obviously. We're just over a year in the house and we've still most of our books and games in cardboard boxes downstairs, and my beautiful double bass. Bleurgh. Hopefully most of it will be okay. Problem is until we can talk to the insurance company we can't start clean up, and Mr.Fozzle spent about 5.5hours on hold yesterday so I can't see it happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Not a great start to the New Year for you pet.
    I hope you get in touch with the insurance company soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

God, that's awful Fozzle. Best of luck with the clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm sorry to hear that fozzle. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

fozzle wrote: »
    Thanks babe. Keep telling myself we were lucky - it was gushing out of the ceiling of the kitchen at an insane rate - like someone had turned on a dozen taps. But it must have only been going for a couple of hours (we were on the way back from a wedding) cos at the speed it was flowing there would have been more than a foot through the ground floor in about 5 hours. But the entire kitchen is ruined and probably the wooden floor in the sitting room. And there's damp proof core through the whole house so I'm having visions of having to rip all that out. Had to turn the electricity off too obviously. We're just over a year in the house and we've still most of our books and games in cardboard boxes downstairs, and my beautiful double bass. Bleurgh. Hopefully most of it will be okay. Problem is until we can talk to the insurance company we can't start clean up, and Mr.Fozzle spent about 5.5hours on hold yesterday so I can't see it happening anytime soon.
    Thats not a great start to the year. Sorry to hear that.

I hope the insurance company doesn't mess ye about too much
    jigglywoo wrote: »
    Anyone ever go in to Michael Quirke's shop on Wine Street?
    Myself and a friend went in for a nosey last week and Michael etched a little dinosaur and Knocknarea in to a little piece of wood and handed to me, I love it. He's such a nice man and was full of little stories. Would defo buy something from him in future if I could afford it.
    Love his business cards too hehe.
    I love him. Have bought 5 or 6 pieces off him and he did a beautiful wooden plaque for the grave of a friend of mine.

I buy pieces for friends and relations in the vain hope they might start buying them for me. I adore the smell of the pieces and the artistry of them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thats terrible t hear fozzle, must be gut renching, hope you get sorted. ;)
    fozzle wrote: »
    I think there's 4 laptops in this coach of the train with me - anyone else on Boardsie? *looks 'round for cohorts*

gotta love wifi and moble internet. on bus at the mo. no lappys but a few other phones in hand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Fozzle, Id advise to get your own loss assessor on this. They're well worth the 10% fee cos they'll get far more our of the insurance company for you.

SNOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Whoa thats bad Fozzle, such bad luck. Hope you get everything sorted.

I've been away since Wednesday and didn't realise I would miss so much. It's snowing again :) But then again it's been snowing in England since Thursday.

Anyways I'm just posting to let ye know I'm back;)

Welcome back old man. Call in if you're working - retail parks all covered in crunchy snow!

• Advertisement

Nope not working today, Have a heck of a lot of study to do today, working all day tomorrow and exams start on Wednesday :(

So fed up of the snow. The kid in me says yay, the adult in me says bugger off.
    I can't remember the last time I did a proper shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

SNOW!

Its feckin stopped now. Damn and blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Got back from England last night. The carpark at Knock Airport was a disgrace but it was a smooth landing for a change. My own road is like an ice rink, too, but is very low on the gritting scale. My rainwater harvesting tank or the pipes from it into the house have frozen so I've no water. Apart from that..! :rolleyes: :)

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Nope not working today, Have a heck of a lot of study to do today, working all day tomorrow and exams start on Wednesday :(
    Ouchies, ya poor thing.

Magnumlady I hear ya. I wish I was excited about the snow but my grownup half just wants it gone!

genie wrote: »
    Got back from England last night. The carpark at Knock Airport was a disgrace but it was a smooth landing for a change. My own road is like an ice rink, too, but is very low on the gritting scale. My rainwater harvesting tank or the pipes from it into the house have frozen so I've no water. Apart from that..! :rolleyes: :)

I flew in to Knock as well yesterday evening from Manchester and looking out the window there looked to be plenty of snow either side of the runway. The car park was an absolute danger zone, they should seriously do something with it.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I flew in to Knock as well yesterday evening from Manchester and looking out the window there looked to be plenty of snow either side of the runway. The car park was an absolute danger zone, they should seriously do something with it.

I was dreading the landing there as last January the while front of the plane swerved as it touched down but the landing last night was fine, thank god! Paid €70 for parking there and nearly went arse over tit twice just trying to get to the car. :rolleyes: I think it's about time they had a long stay carpark there. And a gritting lorry.

I remember coming over here 20 years ago and flew into Knock in the snow, it was a disgrace then and they haven't learnt any lessons.
    I was listening to Mid West Radio today at all the people complaining about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Done some postering there to raise the issue of homelesness, more to come but with doing it and being so cold, it really sends a message so hope that carries over to a few people who see them. Will put up pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Can't believe there are homeless people around here with lots of houses empty everywhere!! Squaters rights sorted that out in the Netherlands. When a house is emty for 6 months people can move in and you have to get them out by court order when you can proof you are gonna do something with the property. It gives each squater 9 to 12 months a roof over their head. Conrtroversial but it worked!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

06012010524.jpg
    06012010528.jpg
    06012010530.jpg

Only got one area done today but plan do more. If anyone knows of any area that has empty houses then can they help us out with a PM. In that weather the issue of trying to house those unfortunate to be homeless could not need to be dealt with quicker.

Not me in the pic btw:)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Euskal any idea on numbers of homeless in Sligo? Is there a sheltar at Finisklin and are they turning people away? Where are homeless sleeping at the moment if they are out rough? I think I know a few spots but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lough Gill has frozen over..

Photo #1
    Photo #2
    Photo #3
    Photo #4
    Photo #5

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

basquille wrote: »

Photo #1
    Photo #2
    Photo #3
    Photo #4
    Photo #5

Cool photos, was down there yesterday was really strange to see. was awful tempted to walk out on the ice

So has Lough Bo near me...

Great picture of the British Isles and all the snow! :)

http://www.twitpic.com/x3ygi

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

genie wrote: »
    Great picture of the British Isles and all the snow! :)

http://www.twitpic.com/x3ygi

Clas, Sligo is well and truly covered

basquille wrote: »

Photo #1
    Photo #2
    Photo #3
    Photo #4
    Photo #5

Such a cute dog:D
    Here's some of my snow pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157623136206152/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    Such a cute dog:D
    Cheers... he's a monster, isn't he?! :D
    magnumlady wrote: »
    Great pics. Love the photo of the snowman: http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/4247802152/in/set-72157623136206152/

• Advertisement

06012010524.jpg
    06012010528.jpg
    06012010530.jpg

Only got one area done today but plan do more. If anyone knows of any area that has empty houses then can they help us out with a PM. In that weather the issue of trying to house those unfortunate to be homeless could not need to be dealt with quicker.

Not me in the pic btw:)

You got them talking about it at least!

OceanFM:
    Almost 700 people are on the Sligo local authority housing list.

Serious concerns on the issue were expressed at last night’s Borough Council estimates meeting.

During a lengthy debate on the housing budget for 2010, it was also revealed that currently 80 council homes are vacant with 36 of these boarded up and a certain number earmarked for demolition.

Director of Services Paula Gallagher said that of the 36 houses, 11 require major refurbishment; ten need minor repair works while the rest are ready to be occupied.

Fine Gael Councillor Tony McLoughlin said the number of unused available houses in Sligo was an issue which he highlighted at previous meetings.

He said regardless of the cost, funding should be secured to make sure the properties are ready to accommodate those on the housing list as a matter of urgency.

Advertisement