Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Essexboy wrote: »
    I had a call today from "the maintenance department" about my computer which I immediately recognised as a scam and fobbed off but I got a surprise when I looked at the number from which the call was (apparently) made - 00 253 802038. This is a Djibouti telephone number.
    There must be a lot of money in these scams if people call from Horn of Africa!

This is the second scam call in a week which suggests that Sligo is being targetted at present. Beware!

This was mentioned on Ocean fm last week. Loads of people have been hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

fj5_display.jpg

"All I need is your bank account details and I can fix the computer directly."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The crazy thing is, there are people who will give their details or let someone remote access their computer to fix a problem that does not exsist, and thats on a unsolisited call.

Considerig the amount of personal information people keep on their computers it crazy.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I read on the paper today some eejit gave a million to one of them fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Was in the O'Briens sweet shop down the road from EJ'S Menswear (can never remember that street name) and I was chatting away to the girl behind the counter when I said "how're you getting on over in the Quayside?"

And she informed me that they weren't the same shop.. A different sweet shop..

Both with green signs and both called "O'Briens" and both selling practically identical candy...

WHAT?!?! eek.gif

Where's the sense in that one?!
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Advertisement

Lornen wrote: »
    Was in the O'Briens sweet shop down the road from EJ'S Menswear (can never remember that street name) and I was chatting away to the girl behind the counter when I said "how're you getting on over in the Quayside?"

Both with green signs and both called "O'Briens" and both selling practically identical candy...

WHAT?!?! eek.gif

Could one or both be franchises? Both independently run, but retaining the brand name.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Could one or both be franchises? Both independently run, but retaining the brand name.

The shop name font is different, both purple on a green backing though..

She said they were nothing, absolutely nothing related.
    I said "Two sweet shops called the same thing selling the same stuff?"
    and she just said "yeah I know! Strange one alright!"

So it doesn't sound like it!

Ordered a kebab and quarter pounder meal,the excitement is excruciating :cool:

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Ordered a kebab and quarter pounder meal,the excitement is excruciating :cool:

Both!

Where from?

Where from?
    If I was a betting man, I'd say Robertos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Older posters will remember that the sweetshop in Grattan Street was always called O'Briens. Nina O'Brien's in fact, it was a newsagents tobacconist, Holiday postcards and mementos from Sligo,and sweetshop. Nina had a lot of stock in her shop. So the one in the Quayside shopping center is not the original O,Briens

Both!

Where from?
    Basq wrote: »
    If I was a betting man, I'd say Robertos.

Hmm incorrect :pac:
    Up in Galway,place called Norio's.
    Free delivery,comes to 10.60,not bad :cool:

proon4 wrote: »
    Older posters will remember that the sweetshop in Grattan Street was always called O'Briens. Nina O'Brien's in fact, it was a newsagents tobacconist, Holiday postcards and mementos from Sligo,and sweetshop. Nina had a lot of stock in her shop. So the one in the Quayside shopping center is not the original O,Briens

Was the shop that was there before not a tobacconist too? I remember being able to get flints and skins in their, loads of pipes for sale too! I thought it was called Conways though.. Nearly sure it was, did they go back to their original name then for the sweet shop?

I had a feeling the one in Quayside wasn't the original as it opened after the one on Grattan Street. I was wondering, could they really be that busy, to open another shop in Sligo town?!

Going off beer for lent.
    Was gonna go off take aways but I'm not a miracle worker.

Going off beer for lent.
    Was gonna go off take aways but I'm not a miracle worker.

The withdrawals would have been scary, no doubt! :pac:

Off sweets for Lent..

Just to see how it goes, not a Jesus freak or anything, just. Fancy a challenge.

I was going to go off facebook, but was getting withdrawl symptoms thinking about.

:D

I was going to go off facebook, but was getting withdrawl symptoms thinking about.

A friend of a friend was talking about this last night, how he was going to give up Black Ops and Facebook..

I don't think he'll last the week! :P

State of Facebook,but still go on it.

Thinking takeaways my self. Does the Bistro count?

HEY STEW WANNA BE MY FRIEND?

If you take it away,yes.
    If you sit in,no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm giving up Lent for Lent :rolleyes:

HEY STEW WANNA BE MY FRIEND?

If you take it away,yes.
    If you sit in,no.

LOL, if we both went off takeaways i'd say half of them would have closed by the time lent was over.

What if they deliver?

:pac:

Haha I always get it delivered up in Galway. Never do at home,effort of them finding the house.

Haha I always get it delivered up in Galway. Never do at home,effort of them finding the house.

Only get the Bistro delevered, and has been a few weeks atleast since had one of them. Takeaway would only be once or twice a week. Am partial to the odd subway as well.

Think I'll survive a few weeks with out them. Well the last two anyway.

Aw man I haven't had subway in ages.
    I went to the gym,and am so tempted to order grub but it'll undo all of my hard work :(

I need to get back to the gym. Tried going for a run today and I nearly got blown into a massive BUSH. Embarrassment!
    All the bourbon biscuits and late night carb binges are catching up with me! :pac: On a plus note, I'm weak as hell but managed to do 20 pull ups this morning. Doesn't sound too impressive but hey, better than nothing!

UrbanSea, out of curiosity, have you tried the take away called Del Boys?!

Never up that part of town but I was last night and some bloke handed me a flyer when I walked past. Never even knew it existed!

I need to get back to the gym. Tried going for a run today and I nearly got blown into a massive BUSH. Embarrassment!
    Ease yourself back into it with the C25K.

If ye're in any ways fit, you can probably skip the first week or two.

Was doing great on it late last year (was on week 6) but got shin splints. So got gait analysis done in Elverys, new runners and back on it in the last week - started back on week 5.

Hey Lornen is that open again? On the Mall is it?
    I remember they opened about a year and a half ago but closed about six weeks later.

Hey Lornen is that open again? On the Mall is it?
    I remember they opened about a year and a half ago but closed about six weeks later.

Yeah a friend told me it closed for a while but it's open anyway! Think it was the owner giving me out a leaflet with all of their offers on. :)

• Advertisement

Any good ones? One of the lads had gotten it before,said it was nice. Must give it a go next week.

Advertisement