Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

irish-stew wrote: »
    I have no idea to be honest, never done it before. Although the places usally fill long before the event I believe.

So if there is a fee, its paid way in advance of the day.

Indeedy, I saw they are only having online registers, but I don't own a credit card (thank GOD) so I was just a little concerned if there was a fee to pay.

Basq wrote: »
    It's 8 furlongs.. so a mile give-or-take.

Just under 2 miles in 20 minutes isn't bad. An 8 minute mile is considered ideal.. was doing that at my peak (before shin splints).

That's re-assuring as I've only been at this on and off and a pretty poor runner. Absolutely no consistency. :o

Going to go wikipedia shin splints. Everyone's talking about them, yes I really am that bad that I don't even know what they are! :pac:

Sound nasty as hell. I have the world's most pathetically delicate shins, look at them wrong and they'll start aching. :(

EDIT:

shin splint?!

Going to actually projectile the screen.. Sweet mother...

Shin-splints1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lornen wrote: »
    Going to actually projectile the screen.. Sweet mother...

Shin-splints1.jpg
    I didn't have them bad thankfully.. as I stopped before they got worse. If i kept going out through the pain, I would have done serious damage.

And have since been doing exercises (such as Wall Shin Raises) and serious stretching before going out, and got better runners. I'd recommend Gait Analysis if possible Lornen. They'll do it for free in Elvery's.

Bit off-topic (but not really in the nature of the thread), Specsavers are doing €15 eye tests til end of March. Went in this morning as I've been suffering some sensitivity towards lights from oncoming cars at night while driving. Was told my eyes are healthy, that I'm ever so slightly short-sighted (0.25, not enough to warrant glasses) and that the sensitivity is due to my fair coloured eyes (off-blue) and to grin and bear it. If it gets really bad, can go down the anti-glare lenses route.. but the fact evenings are getting brighter, it won't affect me as much til September / October again.

I didn't have them bad thankfully.. as I stopped before they got worse. If i kept going out through the pain, I would have done serious damage.

And have since been doing exercises (such as Wall Shin Raises) and serious stretching before going out, and got better runners. I'd recommend Gait Analysis if possible Lornen. They'll do it for free in Elvery's.

Gait analysis? Is that like a body test or something?

/ignorant. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

@Lornen. I'm getting a shin splint just reading that :eek:

Lornen wrote: »
    Gait analysis? Is that like a body test or something?

/ignorant. :o
    Basically, you run on a treadmill for about 20 - 30 seconds and they video it.

They then play back the video in slow-motion on a PC screen for you and you can see exactly how you're running. Like this:

I overpronate when I run (lower leg turns inwards which puts the knee and hip out of alignment and can cause the back to be rotated). It's very common and can lead to everything from shin splints to bunions to tendonitis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

BORED.
    Wouldn't mind a kebab.

Basically, you run on a treadmill for about 20 - 30 seconds and they video it.

They then play back the video in slow-motion on a PC screen for you and you can see exactly how you're running. Like this:

I overpronate when I run (lower leg turns inwards which puts the knee and hip out of alignment and can cause the back to be rotated). It's very common and can lead to everything from shin splints to bunions to tendonitis.

Got that test done in Elverys, aparently my knees and ankles go off in a funny direction when I run. They pointed me in the direction of a few different pairs of Assics, will stick with my nikes for now. Current Assics I have blister.

:D
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    BORED.
    Wouldn't mind a kebab.

:eek:

Don't look so shocked stew :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

BORED.
    Wouldn't mind a kebab.

Anyone else worried UrbanSea has turned into a kebab yet? :pac:

Aw if only. I'd keep eating myself. I'd be so handsome and tasty.(Not that i'm not already of course) :cool:

• Advertisement

2 laps of the race course this morning. 8 minutes a lap. Shaved 4 minutes of my Saturday morning laps. Happy as absolute f*ck.

Going to go do some tricep dips and kick backs and see if I can top my monster 30 pull ups that I nailed on Saturday..

RAWR!!

Congrats Lornen. That's superb!

Congrats Lornen. That's superb!

Thank you! Hoping to keep it up, I was pressed for time so might try a third tomorrow. Went for a run yesterday around 9:30 a.m but the pro's were out. :$ You know, matching jogging bottoms and vest top complete with running buddies. I bottled it and jogged home :pac:
    Managed 40 pull ups this morning between some tricep dips and bicycle crunches so even though they weren't straight after one another, never more than 2 minutes apart.
    Also managed to make a small mountain of chocolate truffles last night without being tempted to try one. Day 5 of no crap is going very well!
    Hope everyone has a good Monday. :)

Please pass the truffles over here please.

Please pass the truffles over here please.

Any room after the kebab and pizza?

;)

I was good today,went for my run and all :D

Was having the best day until I ate a load of CRAP last night. Midnight snackery at it's finest :pac:
    Went for a few laps this morning. The weather is absolutely STUNNING out! Got 4 done so 6.4 km in 45 with a few stops thanks to this cheery little old man who stopped me for a chat down in the racecourse.

My arse is about to fall off from all that running.. :o

Recently become a bit of a chester slice addict, so today I popped into a bakery in town and picked up a slice. The first bite I took.

CRUNCH.

A lovely piece of gravel... I have absolutely no idea why there would be gravel anywhere near a baking line.

It wasn't a hard piece of fruit, it wasn't a hard, tough raisin or sultana, it wasn't a hard piece of sugar or a grain from any flour.

It was a grey chunk of gravel.

Seriously sad right now. I was looking forward to that bloody chester slice.
    Going to have to make a complaint I think. :(

Not so much for badness, just so they are aware of what's happened and to be a little more careful.

What's a chester slice Lornen?

What's a chester slice Lornen?

Have you ever been in.. Ahem.. Any bakery in town and seen these?

I'll just put up a picture, this is the bad boy that was full of gravel :pac:

Sadness :(

Basically, 2 pieces of shortcrust pastry, the dark brown centre is a mixture of leftover bread or cake from the bakery, mixed with either dark muscovada sugar or golden syrup and treacle. Either of those mixes is mixed with spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, sultanas and raisins.

It's a bit ugly but amazing and I am a sad panda right now! :(

• Advertisement

Haha Lornen you showed me that before I asked the same question :cool:

Aw I take it I don't need to guess.

Haha Lornen you showed me that before I asked the same question :cool:

Aw I take it I don't need to guess.

I was honestly just thinking, "didn't UrbanSea ask me this already, surely he wouldn't be that forgetful....."

:pac:

If it doesn't have meat and dripping in fat odds are I won't remember it :cool:

Where's all drinking today?

Where's all drinking today?

Had a few bevies last night in the local. Checking out the parade today, unlikely to be drink invloved.

I suppose you'll be in one close to both the bookies and the take away.

;)

Ah I shall indeed. And one of the lads' bands is playing in the mill at five,will boom over there. They're in the parade too,promoting Furey's buses,keep an eye out for them.

Up since 7 a.m, did a we run, walked into town, nothing open til 10a.m!!
    Waiting around like a tit until 10 a.m, not a place in the town selling green balloons! :(
    Walked past the ACC BANK across from the Abbey and saw a guard in a car, passed her about 4 times before realising that the window was put through! Don't know what's gone on but the whole front window was done in.

No drinking for me today! Or parad for that matter, I'm here baking ham and cutting veg.

Possibly the world's most boring 19 year old, EVER. :rolleyes:

Haha I'm in the Mill since about two. Came home for dinner,headinn in acbk noow.

Seen your mates band at the parade UrbanSea. They sounded good.

Would love a takeway my self actually, must stay strong though.

• Advertisement

They were good in the gig. Didn't make it back out,was far too drunk.

Advertisement