Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Breathe in, breathe out......

Left foot, then right foot.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Tis quiet here.

Ran over toward Salthill and back this morning,god I am unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Tis quiet here.

Ran over toward Salthill and back this morning,god I am unfit.

Really cant get into this running lark. Cycled out to the Strand yesterday and back, way easier.

Just ordered a kebab and snack box. Oh yes.

Just ordered a kebab and snack box. Oh yes.

I'm still having the odd craving but staying strong.

• Advertisement

Still haven't had a take away?

Still haven't had a take away?

Nope, or a soft drink.

:)

Good man stew. Talk about commitment.

Good man stew. Talk about commitment.

I can imagine my self going absolutly hyper on all the sugar and MSG on a major pigout on easter weekend.

:D

Haha I'd be dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It would seem that Coolaney are now in the 21st century. Our phone line is now enabled for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    It would seem that Coolaney are now in the 21st century. Our phone line is now enabled for broadband.
    What next? Running water? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Basq wrote: »
    What next? Running water? ;)

And maybe an inside toilet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Got a gym membership for the Sports Complex there yesterday. Absolutely thrilled to bits. Can't wait to get fit for the Warrior's Run! Registration is creeping up and I can't contain my excitement.

It's my birthday at the end of this month and I'll be the big 20 :pac:

Just ordered my first birthday present!

I'm actually on the verge of throwing up from excitement.

Does that sound a little bit over the top?!

Take a look at these and come back to me! :cool:

154321.png

Personalised out the flippin' YAK!

Lornen wrote: »
    Got a gym membership for the Sports Complex there yesterday. Absolutely thrilled to bits. Can't wait to get fit for the Warrior's Run! Registration is creeping up and I can't contain my excitement.

It's my birthday at the end of this month and I'll be the big 20 :pac:

Just ordered my first birthday present!

I'm actually on the verge of throwing up from excitement.

Does that sound a little bit over the top?!

Take a look at these and come back to me! :cool:

154321.png

Personalised out the flippin' YAK!

Very nice, which model are they? Where you order from? Was thinking of new trainers for the Warriors run but they will be more the off road type runner.

Still cant run properly my self, plenty of long walks with bits of jogging chucked in but thats bout it.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Very nice, which model are they? Where you order from? Was thinking of new trainers for the Warriors run but they will be more the off road type runner.

Still cant run properly my self, plenty of long walks with bits of jogging chucked in but thats bout it.

LunarGlide 2 :) Women's model though.
    Oh and I ordered it from the NikeStore online. (If I can say that?!) Tried a few Nike pairs in town, not fancying them at all.
    They all look really 90's style and I can't stand Adidas' trainers for running/gym training. They all look super old fashioned. :/

Won't even discuss the price of them, but hey, no one else in the town will have them! I'm currently on a threadmill and pavement as I can't bloody stand running off road! I know these won't be ideal for the Warrior's Run but, I think they look super tasty and will suit what I'm planning on doing for the next few months :)

I've managed to crack 3 30 minute long runs without stopping from Sunday.. Feeling good and not tired at all, just buckling down and trying to get on with things. So hopefully it'll keep up.
    Best to pace yourself though Stew, I walk home but do a few sprints here and there on the way up. People driving by must think I'm tapped. :o

LunarGlide 2 :) Women's model though.
    Oh and I ordered it from the NikeStore online. (If I can say that?!) Tried a few Nike pairs in town, not fancying them at all.
    They all look really 90's style and I can't stand Adidas' trainers for running/gym training. They all look super old fashioned. :/

Won't even discuss the price of them, but hey, no one else in the town will have them! I'm currently on a threadmill and pavement as I can't bloody stand running off road! I know these won't be ideal for the Warrior's Run but, I think they look super tasty and will suit what I'm planning on doing for the next few months :)

I've managed to crack 3 30 minute long runs without stopping from Sunday.. Feeling good and not tired at all, just buckling down and trying to get on with things. So hopefully it'll keep up.
    Best to pace yourself though Stew, I walk home but do a few sprints here and there on the way up. People driving by must think I'm tapped. :o

I can do the long walks no problem, I'd probably even walk the warriors run within the time allowed, I just tire when I run for long distances. Have always cycled, and used to that now.

Did you order them recently, I buy alot of bike stuff from wiggle.co.uk, they also do loads of running stuff, bought my last nike trainners from there, after not being able to find them in any store, or even from nike them selves, alot cheeper than other places as well.

5ed1b3c035b1ef242efa130eb2f8703a_h356w534_max.jpeg

I can do the long walks no problem, I'd probably even walk the warriors run within the time allowed, I just tire when I run for long distances. Have always cycled, and used to that now.

Did you order them recently, I buy alot of bike stuff from wiggle.co.uk, they also do loads of running stuff, bought my last nike trainners from there, after not being able to find them in any store, or even from nike them selves, alot cheeper than other places as well.

5ed1b3c035b1ef242efa130eb2f8703a_h356w534_max.jpeg

Lovely lovely! You still wearing those bad boys?

I used to cycle and about this time last year I got fat and stopped. Tried a go on one of the bike machines in the gym and I lasted 6 minutes :o
    I always found cycling alot more hard work than running! TMI yes, but my bum gets really sore so I never last too long!

Oh wow! I ordered them literally 3 hours ago :pac: They were custom made though and 125. I know it's loads but I didn't like the colours they had. That's my girly-ness coming on strong there! :P
    I picked up a sports bra for 25. I', afraid to go on that site incase they've a better price! :o I need some shorts though, or tights.
    I know the controversy over tights and how hilarious they look but I like tight fitted run wear and I have the World's most horrible pasty little legs, so I don't exactly want to get them out. :(
    Currently wearing loose shorts and the amount of people double taking me to see if those are my legs or just very long socks is embarrassing stuff :(

So yes! Will have a gander at that website!
    Do you have a big fancy bike Stew?! I went into the new bike and I got the closest thing to being laughed at for saying my budget was 450 :o
    Don't get me wrong, not a problem with needing to splash the cash for quality, but I didn't realise a starter bike would cost half a bloody grand :eek:

How much is gym membership to Sports Complex Lornen if you don't mind me asking?

How much is gym membership to Sports Complex Lornen if you don't mind me asking?

I just gave them a call there.

30 euro for Student Membership which is unlimited pool and gym for a month.
    45 for Gold Membership which is unlimited gym for the month.
    50 for Gold + unlimited swimming for the month.

I know they do a set gym time, but to be honest it's rubbish and only a fiver less I think. I couldn't tell you the exact cost as when I asked the guy just started telling me about pool times :pac:

• Advertisement

Ta.. might need to invest in it when the autumn / winter months roll around.

Have a weight bench, but might keep an eye out for a cheap but reliable treadmill.

Lovely lovely! You still wearing those bad boys?

I used to cycle and about this time last year I got fat and stopped. Tried a go on one of the bike machines in the gym and I lasted 6 minutes :o
    I always found cycling alot more hard work than running! TMI yes, but my bum gets really sore so I never last too long!

Oh wow! I ordered them literally 3 hours ago :pac: They were custom made though and 125. I know it's loads but I didn't like the colours they had. That's my girly-ness coming on strong there! :P
    I picked up a sports bra for 25. I', afraid to go on that site incase they've a better price! :o I need some shorts though, or tights.
    I know the controversy over tights and how hilarious they look but I like tight fitted run wear and I have the World's most horrible pasty little legs, so I don't exactly want to get them out. :(
    Currently wearing loose shorts and the amount of people double taking me to see if those are my legs or just very long socks is embarrassing stuff :(

So yes! Will have a gander at that website!
    Do you have a big fancy bike Stew?! I went into the new bike and I got the closest thing to being laughed at for saying my budget was 450 :o
    Don't get me wrong, not a problem with needing to splash the cash for quality, but I didn't realise a starter bike would cost half a bloody grand :eek:

Its not fancy at all, bought it as an entry level road bike about 6 to 7 years ago, cost about €600, didn't ride it for most of the first year due to a freak back injury. Would safely say have spent the same amount since on bits and peices. You still should be able to pick up an entry level for less than a €1000 now Lornen, where did you inquire? Are you working, see if your boss does the cycle to work scheme. You can get a bike up to around €1000, paid for by the company, you then pay them back in installments from your pay slip.

Still have those trainers, although still wear my old nikes a bit. Both are like putting on slippers, really comfortable.

Definatly try out that site, loads of stuff on it.

;)

Edit, sorry, thought you said a grand, not half a grand, yeah, you would be looking at even 700 to 800 for an entry level tbh. Depending what your using it for, maybe consider a hybrid, it would be like a cross between a road and mountain bike.

Ta.. might need to invest in it when the autumn / winter months roll around.

Have a weight bench, but might keep an eye out for a cheap but reliable treadmill.

Cheap and reliable. Hard to come by!

On Sunday I ran for 35 minutes. 9.2 speed. 1.5 incline. 5.5 km. On a ProForm threadmill. They're pretty pricey and I thought, you know, reliable.

Went to the gym yesterday and this morning. I covered the same distance at a faster pace and burned less calories.

I'm totally lost as to which threadmill to believe.

I roughlt burned 500 on the ProForm and 300 on the gym's threadmill.. I'm more inclined to believe the gym's machine but I don't know how in God's name the other one was so off the mark? :confused:

Its not fancy at all, bought it as an entry level road bike about 6 to 7 years ago, cost about €600, didn't ride it for most of the first year due to a freak back injury. Would safely say have spent the same amount since on bits and peices. You still should be able to pick up an entry level for less than a €1000 now Lornen, where did you inquire? Are you working, see if your boss does the cycle to work scheme. You can get a bike up to around €1000, paid for by the company, you then pay them back in installments from your pay slip.

Still have those trainers, although still wear my old nikes a bit. Both are like putting on slippers, really comfortable.

Definatly try out that site, loads of stuff on it.

;)

Edit, sorry, thought you said a grand, not half a grand, yeah, you would be looking at even 700 to 800 for an entry level tbh. Depending what your using it for, maybe consider a hybrid, it would be like a cross between a road and mountain bike.

I suppose if you're serious about cycling you have to really get the best of the best. I'd love to once I got some money behind me. The work I'm in, I wouldn't qualify for the scheme sadly! :(
    But running, I can shell out for that no bother. I'm lethal when I get into something.. You mentioned shelling out practically the cost of the bike on accessories alone. Imagine that, for a young girl. With a pretty bike..

Imagine Stew... IMAGINE! :pac:

Looking at that site. Lad's stuff is so much nicer than the girl's stuff :/
    We don't all adore pink and purple everything! :(

I suppose if you're serious about cycling you have to really get the best of the best. I'd love to once I got some money behind me. The work I'm in, I wouldn't qualify for the scheme sadly! :(
    But running, I can shell out for that no bother. I'm lethal when I get into something.. You mentioned shelling out practically the cost of the bike on accessories alone. Imagine that, for a young girl. With a pretty bike..

Imagine Stew... IMAGINE! :pac:

Looking at that site. Lad's stuff is so much nicer than the girl's stuff :/
    We don't all adore pink and purple everything! :(

I would not say i'm serious, those accessories have been spread out over the years. :D and have met lads and girls who have paid 3 to 4 times more plus on their bikes and accesseries. Check out the cost of some of the bikes on there, it will make your head spin. If I won the lotto I'd have a feild day on it.

Not the biggest fan of the kind of flatter runners,I rather an arch on them. Nice though Lornen.

Was just for a run myself there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Not the biggest fan of the kind of flatter runners,I rather an arch on them. Nice though Lornen.

Was just for a run myself there.
    was there a take away involved?

Jogged, yes jogged two whole circuts, yes two, of the race course starting and finishing at the sports complex.*

Okay so my time didn't set the world alight, none of the warrior run regulars have anything to fear, and if there was any power walkers out they could have caught up with me and passed me easily.

But I done it.

in 24.43

*Stopped breifly to tie my laces

Jogged, yes jogged two whole circuts, yes two, of the race course starting and finishing at the sports complex.*

Okay so my time didn't set the world alight, none of the warrior run regulars have anything to fear, and if there was any power walkers out they could have caught up with me and passed me easily.

But I done it.

in 24.43

*Stopped breifly to tie my laces

Wow! Fair bloody play! That time's not a bad one. I can do a lap of the course in 8 minutes, but that's just the race course, totally excluding the extra bit to the S.C!
    I'd say if you kept at it, you'd shave a good bit off your time. I cut each of my laps by a minute when I went out the second day and I'm a lazy lump so I'd say you'd be good to go! :)

• Advertisement

Wow! Fair bloody play! That time's not a bad one. I can do a lap of the course in 8 minutes, but that's just the race course, totally excluding the extra bit to the S.C!
    I'd say if you kept at it, you'd shave a good bit off your time. I cut each of my laps by a minute when I went out the second day and I'm a lazy lump so I'd say you'd be good to go! :)

I'm thinking maybe expnading the distance after a few more of them runs, ie, bringing it up to two and half laps starting at the sports complex, then maybe back to two laps but starting at the carpark beside the river where the storage containers are. We'll see how the legs and the motivation is tomorrow first.

I think my plan starting off is to run as slow as I can (hence my comment of power walkers over taking me) for as long as I can, will need to chuck in some hill running at a later date to prepare for Knocknarea.

Thats a brillant time compared to mine though Lornen if you work it out per lap, the sports complex only adds a few minutes, you'd stilll be putting me to shame. Do you run beside the fence or on the tarmac? I was running the tarmac, with 3/4 of the 1st lap was on the worn patch of grass beside it in case of shinsplints.

Could murder a can of coke right now though.

Did you look at anything else on that site, if your really into triatalons, or any of the indivual disaplines, its a leave the credit card in the wallet place.

Advertisement