Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

irish-stew wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe expnading the distance after a few more of them runs, ie, bringing it up to two and half laps starting at the sports complex, then maybe back to two laps but starting at the carpark beside the river where the storage containers are. We'll see how the legs and the motivation is tomorrow first.

I think my plan starting off is to run as slow as I can (hence my comment of power walkers over taking me) for as long as I can, will need to chuck in some hill running at a later date to prepare for Knocknarea.

Thats a brillant time compared to mine though Lornen if you work it out per lap, the sports complex only adds a few minutes, you'd stilll be putting me to shame. Do you run beside the fence or on the tarmac? I was running the tarmac, with 3/4 of the 1st lap was on the worn patch of grass beside it in case of shinsplints.

Could murder a can of coke right now though.

Did you look at anything else on that site, if your really into triatalons, or any of the indivual disaplines, its a leave the credit card in the wallet place.

Definitely keep at that Stew, I was running on a threadmill at a speed of 10 (no idea what that even is 10 km an hour probably) But I was running at that, and I could only last about 10-15 minutes. I've dropped the pace from 10 to 8.6 to start off and I'd gradually speed up to 9.5 and then 10 in the final few minutes, but I could hold out for 30 minutes. I run 5km in 34 minutes which is nice enough considering I just kind of threw myself at running rather than sensibly breaking myself in by doing the C25K challenege that a good few boardsies are taking part in.

Is that car park the one around O'Hehirs bakery? The main baking place? I love running down past there, it's really scenic and the tarmac is smooth :)

Also, I run on the tarmac path. I attempted to give the grassy bit a go but I nearly fell down a ditch when running the outer bit and on the inner circle was like a swamp and my legs were getting so heavy trying to pull them out of the mud. :( Also very uneven and I've been running then hit a little bump and got caught off balance and face planted the ground. :o
    So it's the tarmac path for me! :P I take it rather easy as I start the run anti-clockwise and so I have the steep little bit to run down, so I try holding back a bit as I once flew down like a bat out of hill and gave myself a glorious stitch :o
    I tried doing the course clock wise but I always associate the decline on that side with nearly finishing, so counter clock wise for me!! :)

Still off the fizzies Stew?! Holy mother, fair play! I'm still off crisps, chocolate and sweets but managed to put on 4 lbs since lent. Flip all these vegetable :mad: Low GI diet is getting a look at I tell you!

I can do 20 chin ups though so I'm getting nice little guns going on! :pac:

EDIT: I've bookmarked the site, will have a little look when I have money! Birthday is coming up at the end of April and I have this horrible feeling I'll be entering the month of May broke as a joke! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont think its the bakery. Imaging turning left coming out of the S.C. Its then the first small car park on your right. Only has space for about half a dozen cars. Think a rowing/canoeing club might meet up there. The next carpark would be at the outdoor gym and kids playgound.

I did counter clockwise as well, but trying to maintain the same speed/pace going down the hill. Yeah that inner path is a bit greasy in places, had to do a couple of hops and skips to protect the runners :D Your new fancy things would be destroyed on it.

Fair play on the chin ups, I couldn't do half that. have started doing the odd circuit of the outdoor gym, but will leave the chin up bars till there are less people around . :o

Still off the fizzies, and the takeaways. Havn't noticed much savings yet, had a couple of bills so it was all spent else where. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Bored.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Bored.

Are you not eating?

Na,had a fine chicken fillet roll there a while ago though.

• Advertisement

Had my gait analysis done again today, tried on the Nike Lunerglides, so sooooooooo comfy.

Nike-Lunarglide-For-Men-Gray-Green--s0.jpg

Actully looking forward to the warriors run now.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Had my gait analysis done again today, tried on the Nike Lunerglides, so sooooooooo comfy.

Nike-Lunarglide-For-Men-Gray-Green--s0.jpg

Actully looking forward to the warriors run now.

Hey Stew did you get your gait analysis in Elevery's? I think Basq suggested I do the same a few weeks back. Curious as I should probably go down..

Lornen wrote: »
    Hey Stew did you get your gait analysis in Elevery's? I think Basq suggested I do the same a few weeks back. Curious as I should probably go down..

I did. Thay have you run on the trendmill for about 30 seconds, and then review how your feet land and how the ankles react on the computer. I over pronate, basically my ankles bend or turn inwards when my feet strike the gound.

Different trainers then offer different support, they then review you run again wearing those trainers.

Just went down to Paddy Power and placed my first bet EVER. :o

Where's UrbanSea when you need him?! :pac:

Right here :cool: What did you do?

• Advertisement

Right here :cool: What did you do?

Made a bet! Don't know a thing about horses though, so whoever had the nicest looking jockey top got my bet :o

Haha was it on the grand national?

Dang horse was 3rd in the final sprint, then just slowed down, thing he came 7th in the end.

How you get on urbansea?

Ps. over a minute quicker this morning :)

Aw brutal. I backed Backstage ages ago at 40/1. Ran at 16/1 but was never in the race.

Aw brutal. I backed Backstage ages ago at 40/1. Ran at 16/1 but was never in the race.

Must have been alot of interest to get to that. Mine, big fella thanks went from 18 to 16/1 during the week. Only backed him a couple of hours before the off though.

Did you do a win or e/w. Are you up or down for the festival?

Did 25 each way. Up,I'd 50 on Master Minded at 5/1,have them in my log. Still had a brutal day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ.. the parking in that train station is a disgrace!

Taxi drivers should feck right off to a taxi rank or have a designated area.

Taking up 2 or 3 rows outside the door / railings is a joke.. plenty of space over further if it wasn't impossible to get past with taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Agree completely about the train station. Ive given up completely trying to collect people there and park in the Southern instead. Didn't I hear recently though they had plans for a new car park at the back of station on the inner relief road side?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, I park down the hill outside The Southern, but it's ridiculous up there.

Not sure about plans for another car park jazyguy..

.. I know they're planning to charge for parking - saw one of the ticket machines wrapped up opposite the entrance to the Southern.

I knew I wasnt dreaming, heres the link to story about new car park.
    http://www.sligotown.net/newstationcarpark.shtml

• Advertisement

Forget that, just found another article about the car park and its from July 2009 so I guess it might not be going ahead.
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/temp/new-car-park-planned-for-sligo-rail-station-1803559.html

jazyguy wrote: »
    I knew I wasnt dreaming, heres the link to story about new car park.
    http://www.sligotown.net/newstationcarpark.shtml

Could be a bit of an accident black spot that and a traffic managment nightmare.

In its current layout you would have to turn left when exiting, meaning that Dual Carriage way bound drivers possibly attempting u turns at the lights. People trying to get into the carpark from the bridge direction will be attmpting u turns from the other side.

With only seven departures/arrivals aday, unless it will be open to use for people not using the station, will it justify the creation of a new juction? Which would surely be needed to stop the risk takers as above.

Another set of lights on that road will pee off alot of daily users.

Possibly, but something has to be done about the car park in the station. Its a crazy situation at the moment. On a very regular basis I have to drop someone off and collect them and I dread it. If they dont have much luggage I use the car park in the Southern but if they have a lot of luggage I have to drop them to the door. I cant believe there is not some sort of solution.

Theres only one thing thats worse than running in the rain, and thats running in a hail shower. Couldn't beleive it when that started falling earlier.

Had to run backwards for a while as my face was being stung so much.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

jazyguy wrote: »
    Possibly, but something has to be done about the car park in the station. Its a crazy situation at the moment. On a very regular basis I have to drop someone off and collect them and I dread it. If they dont have much luggage I use the car park in the Southern but if they have a lot of luggage I have to drop them to the door. I cant believe there is not some sort of solution.

Only solution is to only let 3/4 taxi's up at a time, they could queue down at the rank. One goes down let another up. It's a frickin' nightmare up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Taxi drivers in Sligo are a disgrace,they seem to park every where in town with impunity.The amount of times i almost scraped my car coming down bridge street parked both sides of the road outside shenanigans,outside mc hughs,outside the glasshouse, train station, outside pure,outside toffs,the actual rank,there everywhere:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Taxi drivers in Sligo are a disgrace,they seem to park every where in town with impunity.The amount of times i almost scraped my car coming down bridge street parked both sides of the road outside shenanigans,outside mc hughs,outside the glasshouse, train station, outside pure,outside toffs,the actual rank,there everywhere:mad::mad:
    At last, I'm not the only one who hates this!

I rang the guards about it once and they told me it prevents public order(people leaving pub hop in a taxi instead of hanging around, less potential fights etc.) so they let them park where they want.

So in other words, it's ok to break the law if you're a taxi driver.

In fairness that happens in every town in Ireland,but is annoying.

Had a large Domino's for a tenner last night,can't go too wrong.

Have never parked at the station, but from what I reed on here previously you as as well parking at Colloney and getting on/off there.
    In fairness that happens in every town in Ireland,but is annoying.

Had a large Domino's for a tenner last night,can't go too wrong.

You must be making some money from this bookies with all these takeaways.

:P

Although have been looking at their lastest menu that came through the door, and must say, the medium pizza meal deal does look tempting.

Must resist, must resist...

• Advertisement

Medium?

Girl :P

Advertisement