Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Does anyone know who won the Best in Parade?

I thought the Philippine Society entry was fantastic...I would love to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kettleson wrote: »

I thought the Philippine Society entry was fantastic...I would love to see them again.
    Were they the dancers dressed in black with green, white and gold strands? They were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Best representation of the Gathering theme: Sligo Leader Partnership Company Ltd
    Overall Clarence Hotel Cup: Sligo Leader Partnership Company Ltd
    Industrial Commercial Shield 1st Place: O’Hehirs
    Industrial Commercial Shield 2nd Place: Power Right
    Industrial Commercial Shield 3rd Place: Abbott
    Art/Culutre Section: Sabana Peace Project
    Youth Section: Silver Star Cheerleading
    Sports Section 1st Place: Yama Hara
    Sports Section 2nd Place: Sligo Martial Arts Academy
    Scouts Section: Cubs with Octopus
    Schools Cup: Ursuline College, Sligo
    Community Section: Drumcliffe/Rathcormac Gathering 2013
    Adjudicators Cup: Sligo Leitrim Filipino Association
    Novelty Section: IT Sligo
    Special Award 1st Place: Riverstown Cricket Club
    Special Award 2nd Place: Sligo Great Warriors Basketball Club
    National School: Gael Scoil
    Band Section: Killadeas Pipe Band
    Local Band Section: Sligo Pipe Band
    Highly Commended: County Sligo Youth Theatre
    Best Overall Window Display: Simones

Basq wrote: »
    Were they the dancers dressed in black with green, white and gold strands? They were excellent.

yeah that was them, fantastic..there is a picture of them in the Journal. hope this link works...

http://jrnl.ie/835664

Thanks for that Magnum Lady...glad to see The Sligo Leadership won best overall...they were great.

I didn't think there was the usual buzz on the day and numbers seemed down? Wine Street Car Park was virtually empty at 11:40am.

Delighted to see that Tommy Higgins daughter was one of the judges. Tommy resurrected the parade in 1971 and along with the committee, he made sure it kept running since then. Tommy passed away just a few weeks after last years parade. In his 89th year, a mighty man.

• Advertisement

I was taking part this year and thought it was great...but it's different taking part and watching it.
    I'd ban all the new cars and buses, they don't add anything to it. Not many bands this year either.
    My pics are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157633016734487/
    and I did a short bit of video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZas7L7Tc9U

magnumlady wrote: »
    I was taking part this year and thought it was great...but it's different taking part and watching it.
    I'd ban all the new cars and buses, they don't add anything to it. Not many bands this year either.
    My pics are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157633016734487/
    and I did a short bit of video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZas7L7Tc9U

Indeed so, only vintage vehicles and the like should be allowed in. The purely commercial entries using the parade for an advertisement opportunity should be stopped, its' unseemly.

I would make an exception if those "advertisers" make a significant contribution to the parades finances. I wonder if they do? I know that the committee always have a tough job raising funds from the local businesses in the months running up to the parade.

Great video thanks Magnum Lady.

And WOW!! I can get a brand new Hyundai Veloster from €269 per month! :D

Great video thanks Magnum Lady.

And WOW!! I can get a brand new Hyundai Veloster from €269 per month! :D

Yes but it wouldn't start! It finally did only to break down again!

Hahahaha! is that why the folk were laughing at them! LOL! :D:D

I think I'll look at another model, cant rely on that one starting in the morning.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I was going to start a thread on cheapest fuel prices around town. I'm sure there was a thread on here a while ago about cheapest coal prices and good quality. Couldn't find it in a search, can anyone remember if there was a thread on here or am I losing it altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I was going to start a thread on cheapest fuel prices around town. I'm sure there was a thread on here a while ago about cheapest coal prices and good quality. Couldn't find it in a search, can anyone remember if there was a thread on here or am I losing it altogether?

Sounds familiar, maybe another member can shed light on it. Do you have the pumps.ie app?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Great to see people out cleaning up the litter the area from Carraroe to Oakfield. If everyone looked after their own patch the cointryside would be alot cleaner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Sounds familiar, maybe another member can shed light on it. Do you have the pumps.ie app?

Never heard of that app before. Cheers for that.

The unsolicited calls from India have begun again - had 3 so far this week - when you answer there is a delay on the phone and then they get through, so I just put it beside the radio and go off about my business but it is such a pain in the backside on an Easter weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-pat-kenny/programmes/2013/0719/463398-today-with-pat-kenny-friday-19-july-2013/

Tower Hill estate in Ballymote made the headlines last week. This is the piece from the Pat Kenny show that kicked it all off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Anyone here or does anyone know someone selling an electric picnic ticket? I'M DESPERATE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Did anyone see a guy walking over and back beside the GPO yesterday wearing a homemade sandwich board with a load of writing on it?
    I was driving so didn't get a chance to read it.

Good luck with the ticket Urban Sea, 'fraid can't help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Cheers Sean, it's proving about as hard as picking the lottery numbers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

red sean wrote: »
    Did anyone see a guy walking over and back beside the GPO yesterday wearing a homemade sandwich board with a load of writing on it?
    I was driving so didn't get a chance to read it.

Good luck with the ticket Urban Sea, 'fraid can't help!

Didn't see him yesterday, but I did friday. Had a quick glance, seemed to have several protests about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I didn't recognize him as a local. So I wonder what the Sligo link is? Ya, seemed to have a load of stuff written on it. You'd need to stand up to read it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Slideways

I think he was about a few years ago IIRC.

Mad as a bum full of smarties

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Mad as a bum full of smarties
    Now that's a statement that isn't used half enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Some kudos for our beautiful county folks. Sligo has made the world famous Lonely Planet guide. Mullaghmore comes in at number 2 for best places in the world to surf.

http://www.joe.ie/travel/cowabunga-excellent-news-as-lonely-planet-names-ireland-as-one-of-the-top-10-surfing-spots-in-the-world/

http://www.bestbits.ie/news/lonely-planet-sligos-one-of-worlds-best-places-to-surf/

I don't know what's going on with the town. Over the last few days Source has closed. Also the newsagent opposite the cinema and Cafe de Paris in the Quayside.

I don't know what's going on with the town. Over the last few days Source has closed. Also the newsagent opposite the cinema and Cafe de Paris in the Quayside.

Woah! Preferred getting my cheap cinema sweeties from him rather than Tesco. Its all very disheartening. I have my reservations about the cinema too, its always deserted whenever I or friends have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

yeah and its so bloody expensive! (Cinema)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    yeah and its so bloody expensive! (Cinema)
    It is.. but it's how they make their money.

Distributors of movies can take as much of 90% of ticket sales in the first weekend.. the percentage slowly drops as the movies works it's way out of a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

I think the newsagents is closed on a temporary basis only for renovations - saw a couple of workmen/painters coming out of it the other evening.

• Advertisement

I think the newsagents is closed on a temporary basis only for renovations - saw a couple of workmen/painters coming out of it the other evening.

I saw a for sale sign outside it. Hope it is only temporary though.

Advertisement