Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Best of luck to all at Ocean fm tonight for the PPI awards. Seven nominations is a great feat regardless of the outcome.
    http://oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail/ocean_nominated_for_7_awards_at_the_ppis

red sean wrote: »
    Best of luck to all at Ocean fm tonight for the PPI awards. Seven nominations is a great feat regardless of the outcome.
    http://oceanfm.ie/sp/article_manager/detail/ocean_nominated_for_7_awards_at_the_ppis

Well done to all at Ocean. 7 awards, 5 of them gold!
    Great to have a good news story from a local enterprise for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sligo has its very own Food Challange. If it were not for the Mushrooms and Black Pudding I'd be all over that. From passing the place I think it cost about €13, and free of charge if you complete it.
    A few of you mentioned that The Grapevine Bistro in Sligo has a Mega Breakfast Challenge and it sounds, well, mega. This feast includes five sausages, five rashers, five eggs, five hash browns, five pieces of white pudding, five pieces of black pudding, five half tomatoes, five portions of mushrooms, five portions of beans, five pieces of toast and a pot of tea.

breakfast.jpg

If you fancy taking on The Grapevine Bistro’s Mega Breakfast Challenge make sure to pop in to unit 9 of the Quayside Shopping Centre in Sligo.

http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/food-drink/feeling-hungry-heres-a-look-at-irelands-biggest-breakfasts/

Now we just need Adam Richmond from Man Vs Food to head over here.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Looks handy enough, not a shrooms or eggs fan though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Sligo has its very own Food Challange. If it were not for the Mushrooms and Black Pudding I'd be all over that.

The tomatoes would get me. How or why tomatoes have anything to do with a fry up is beyond me.

• Advertisement

The tomatoes would get me. How or why tomatoes have anything to do with a fry up is beyond me.

I could just about tolerate them maybe, finally chopped up through the beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Anyone know if there is any place around town or surrounds that sells ex army gear. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Anyone know if there is any place around town or surrounds that sells ex army gear. Thanks

nearest since boyle army shop closed
    http://www.amazonas.town.ie/ in letterkenny
    there is a place in athlone near the shopping centre cant think of the name
    i am told tere is one in Galway city centre too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Well done to Kieran Quinn who launched his debut album in Libre Bookshop today. Great to hear a bit of lunchtime music, pity there isn't more of it around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

A-Wear totally cleared out and shut up now. Another empty unit on our main street. I count 6 empty units now, not a positive sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Looks terrible, hopefully they get someone in there soon, it is a much more appealing one than some of the other vacant stores. Can't imagine rates being too cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Looks terrible, hopefully they get someone in there soon, it is a much more appealing one than some of the other vacant stores. Can't imagine rates being too cheap

I'd say the rates are very expensive, you'd think the Council would lower them to encourage economic activity - the shoeshop and ex insurance place across the road have been vacant for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Can someone tell me what's the point in locking old threads? I never understand it just because it hasn't been posted in for a few months doesn't always mean it's not relevant when someone else re-posts in it does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

thebuzz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what's the point in locking old threads? I never understand it just because it hasn't been posted in for a few months doesn't always mean it's not relevant when someone else re-posts in it does it?

If you are referring to the thesis binding one it looked highly likely that someone was promoting a business.

TK Maxx was closed today, I heard it was flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

magnumlady wrote: »
    If you are referring to the thesis binding one it looked highly likely that someone was promoting a business.
    It was that thread that prompted me but I'm also talking about other threads throughout boards that just seem to be locked just because it hasn't been posted in in a while. Thanks.

Usually threads are locked if they are old (mainly if people start posting in them again). It's usually because they are out of date as far as I know anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I commented, on a thread just a few days ago where a girl looked to have been treated badly due to her sickness record and had been given a sort of ultimatum/threat from her employers...a few people had posted just before me, so it looked recent.

Turned out the original post was from 2011. I can understand why it wasn't locked at the time, and so it disappeared, to be resurrected 3 years later...

et voila!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056018609&page=2

Know what you mean Kettleson, I've got caught too in the past. But most zombie threads seem to be resurrected by people trying to sneak in an ad. for something. So I can understand why mods would then lock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Perhaps admins could look at something THIS to automaticaly close old scripts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

T-Bird wrote: »

Cant understand why this isn't already in use? . . .?

TK Maxx was closed today, I heard it was flooded.

Quite a bit of flooding yesterday. Car park around the Quays, water reached as far as Dominos and Garys I heard, and rumours of it getting into the underground carpark of the Glasshouse. Also heard that was evacuated or prepared for evacuation. Whole thing was in darkness last night on way home.

Think the stream behind Feeleys Funeral Home and the Tile Shop burst its banks, as road infront of it was flooded, and bridge that runs past it at the mini roundabout was under water.

Expect more or worse next weekend, reading theres another storm surge on the way.

Stay safe.

T-Bird wrote: »

Looks good...if I can get my nontechnical head around it! Maybe one of the other mods can suss it.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Quite a bit of flooding yesterday. Car park around the Quays, water reached as far as Dominos and Garys I heard, and rumours of it getting into the underground carpark of the Glasshouse. Also heard that was evacuated or prepared for evacuation. Whole thing was in darkness last night on way home.

Think the stream behind Feeleys Funeral Home and the Tile Shop burst its banks, as road infront of it was flooded, and bridge that runs past it at the mini roundabout was under water.

Expect more or worse next weekend, reading theres another storm surge on the way.

Stay safe.

That's bad. Do you know if TK Maxx is still closed?

That's bad. Do you know if TK Maxx is still closed?

TBH. On here was the first I heard of TK Max being affected. My understanding that it was just the Pay and Display Car Park behind the Quay Side being affected, plus the romours re The Glass House. Will be down that way later so will update.

Knowledge of the stream mentioned in my last post was from heading to work yesterday morning. Alot of standing water as well on the inside lanes of the relief road approaching the bridge on the town side.

Well TX Maxx IS open, heard too since that it was flooded. Polish Shop and Pet Shop both flooded, Polish shop is open, not sure about Pet Shop. Both Dominos and Garys Cycles not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

TK Maxx was flooded, they were pumping out the water when I arrived to work on Saturday morning in Quayside, but yeah it's reopen again. Doesn't seem to be too severe.

The Pet Shop posted on Facebook that they won't be opening after the flooding.

The Pet Shop posted on Facebook that they won't be opening after the flooding.

Damage was pretty extensive I beleive, alot of lost stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Unfortunate.. was in with them the day before the flood buying dog food! :(

Advertisement